Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

High bike wrote: »
    the goal post are moving again

In fairness they seem to have made the goals a bit bigger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Does anyone know off hand, if there is a minimum time period, you need to keep a calf in the herd, once you have tagged it for BDGP purposes?
    Had a notion it was five weeks, but can’t find any details on dept website!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Does anyone know off hand, if there is a minimum time period, you need to keep a calf in the herd, once you have tagged it for BDGP purposes?

Thanks.

5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Sami23 wrote: »
    5 months

Is that from birth, or is it from date of tagging?

Is that from birth, or is it from date of tagging?

Birth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks.

As long as the calf is at least 5 months old you can sell it the minute its tagged with the genomic tag afaik. Just have to make sure the sample isn't empty i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Assume this scheme does not qualify for the brexit fund

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Bellview wrote: »
    Assume this scheme does not qualify for the brexit fund
    i think it does along with the glas scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I read on the article on the farming indo online that BDGP falls under a department agri scheme so looks like it does. I thought at first I would be cut out as no QA or Glas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I read on the article on the farming indo online that BDGP falls under a department agri scheme so looks like it does. I thought at first I would be cut out as no QA or Glas here.

A lot of people be in similar scenario if glas didn’t suit they didn’t bother , pity lots took a dislike to bdgp also and no access to the fund now

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    A lot of people be in similar scenario if glas didn’t suit they didn’t bother , pity lots took a dislike to bdgp also and no access to the fund now

Pity a lot of folks excluded and these folks are really being punished for standing by their principles on the genomic scheme... which has a lot of faults. I’m in scheme and stayed in by 20 per cent of folks you joined have also left ..

Just a pity that he minister civil servants took an opportunity to give folks that did not believe in this scheme a kick when they are down

Bellview wrote: »
    Pity a lot of folks excluded and these folks are really being punished for standing by their principles on the genomic scheme... which has a lot of faults. I’m in scheme and stayed in by 20 per cent of folks you joined have also left ..

Just a pity that he minister civil servants took an opportunity to give folks that did not believe in this scheme a kick when they are down

Yep loads of the older gentlemen and not so computer savvy people didn’t go for the bdgp either and will lose out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just thought I'd remind folks that today is the last day for getting your Carbon Navigator sent in online. Too late for post now anyway.

That time of year again to check which calves are too young to sell.

I inputted the docility, scour , pneumonia 5.5 months info on a 02 May born calf today , once system allows me to record that .. sell away ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

I inputted the docility, scour , pneumonia 5.5 months info on a 02 May born calf today , once system allows me to record that .. sell away ??!!
    thats it in a nutshell if 5 mts you can sell away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I happened to be looking through the T&Cs for this and one thing I didn't realise is that for an animal to be eligible she has to be born in 2013 or later. I've lots of older cows than that which can't count towards my 50%.

Also its the original rating the animal gets, so again I have a few cows which are now rated as 3* but were originally rated as 4*, they are eligible. Likewise if you had a cow rated originally at 3* shes doesn't count towards your final number. You can check their first genomic rating on the ICBF website, click on herd profile, search for the animal, click on their number and theres a tab for genomic profile, the one highlighted is the relevant scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Green&Red wrote: »
    I happened to be looking through the T&Cs for this and one thing I didn't realise is that for an animal to be eligible she has to be born in 2013 or later. I've lots of older cows than that which can't count towards my 50%.

Also its the original rating the animal gets, so again I have a few cows which are now rated as 3* but were originally rated as 4*, they are eligible. Likewise if you had a cow rated originally at 3* shes doesn't count towards your final number. You can check their first genomic rating on the ICBF website, click on herd profile, search for the animal, click on their number and theres a tab for genomic profile, the one highlighted is the relevant scoring

I could be wrong but i think that 2013 thing was changed at some stage so that if the cow was in your herd when you joined the scheme she still qualifies even tho she was born before 2013 but if she was bought in after you joined the scheme she doesn't qualify.
    The whole scheme is a shambles at this stage, genomics isn't doing what they said it would. Animal ratings are changing wildly after getting a genomic evaluation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i think that 2013 thing was changed at some stage so that if the cow was in your herd when you joined the scheme she still qualifies even tho she was born before 2013 but if she was bought in after you joined the scheme she doesn't qualify.
    The whole scheme is a shambles at this stage, genomics isn't doing what they said it would. Animal ratings are changing wildly after getting a genomic evaluation.

Ya I think your right about that tanko. Was looking through my icbf yesterday and a load of cows are after going up again. It's a proper shambles. Cows that have been genotyped since the beginning of the scheme have gone from 5* to 3* and back to 5* again over a few years. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

As of tomorrow, sell away until your heart is content. Hope you get a good price for them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Ya I think your right about that tanko. Was looking through my icbf yesterday and a load of cows are after going up again. It's a proper shambles. Cows that have been genotyped since the beginning of the scheme have gone from 5* to 3* and back to 5* again over a few years. You couldn't make it up.

The results of this scheme is bull****. The stars were never accurate for beef cows. Some of my best cows are rated my worst even though they produce calves every 365 or less and calves weigh and sell well. And numerous calvings and data to back it up. And vice versa with high star animals. It's pure guess work and jobs for the boys and profiteering from AI companies with the next big fashionable bull. The only benefit is its handy money for very little work. Wouldn't be basing my breeding regime on it though

• Advertisement

dh1985 wrote: »
    The results of this scheme is bull****. The stars were never accurate for beef cows. Some of my best cows are rated my worst even though they produce calves every 365 or less and calves weigh and sell well. And numerous calvings and data to back it up. And vice versa with high star animals. It's pure guess work and jobs for the boys and profiteering from AI companies with the next big fashionable bull. The only benefit is its handy money for very little work. Wouldn't be basing my breeding regime on it though

Very true.. but you will meet lads then that their first comment when selling cattle is they have blah blah stars... this is especially true in pedigree bulls ...there was a good piece in the journal a few months back in stars .. and the comment from journalist was if stars are 20% accurate only place 20% of your judgement on the stars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I just completed my Carbon Navigator there on-line. Am I too late now? It saved fine. I didn't realise the deadline had passed already.

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=13900

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I just completed my Carbon Navigator there on-line. Am I too late now? It saved fine. I didn't realise the deadline had passed already.

https://www.icbf.com/wp/?p=13900

Ring them and ask

I see they started Dec 11th paying ..anyone have it showing in agfood financial services?

I see they started Dec 11th paying ..anyone have it showing in agfood financial services?

In a/c this morning here anyway :)

Showing in amounts due on agfood here dated 11/12

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Showing in amounts due on agfood here dated 11/12

Nothing showing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Taz landed in the account

I hadn’t recorded a “dam departure reason’

• Advertisement