Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

jfh wrote: »
    I tagged the wrong animal, anyone know if you can change the selection after you have received the tags?
    I took hairsample of the correct one just in case I couldn't.

Can't change the selection but explain what happened & they'll send you a hair kit for the one which you should have done with the tag.
    I did the same thing 2yrs ago :o I said the animal was too wild to tag though, because I felt a right eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

jfh wrote: »
    I tagged the wrong animal, anyone know if you can change the selection after you have received the tags?
    I took hairsample of the correct one just in case I couldn't.

Contact the ICBF HelpDesk @ 023 8832883, explain exactly what happened and they will sort everything out for you.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Contact the ICBF HelpDesk @ 023 8832883, explain exactly what happened and they will sort everything out for you.

:o

No need for that even, just stick a note in with the samples explaining what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Green&Red wrote: »
    No need for that even, just stick a note in with the samples explaining what happened

Did exactly the same, got two animals mixed up. Put a note in with the samples and when I checked them on the ICBF website they had them the correct way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Anyone hear any thing lately re there appeal ? I’ve still heard nothing only it’s in the hands on the one dealing with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Anyone hear any thing lately re there appeal ? I’ve still heard nothing only it’s in the hands on the one dealing with it

Me heard nothing either

Anyone else's cows STILL fecking changing. My blonde cow that had twins last year has suddenly jumped from 3 to 5 stars since last winter :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anyone else's cows STILL fecking changing. My blonde cow that had twins last year has suddenly jumped from 3 to 5 stars since last winter :confused:
    Yep, but the reliability is still the same ðŸ€

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I got the letter in dec/jan about tag selection and still waiting. Weanlings going out today so another day of gathering

Yep, but the reliability is still the same ðŸ€

54% 3 stars.
    56% 4 stars
    56% 5 stars

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

And she probably doesn't qualify as a cow for the scheme because she was only a 3* cow when she was genotyped??
    Even though she's a 5* now she doesn't qualify which is a bit of a joke.

Then you could have a cow that was 4/5* when she was genotyped but dropped to a 3* now and does qualify for the scheme.

No, she is eligible now but she wasn't for the last few years. Just goes to show how accurate it is when it takes the very final year to even get her into the scheme allowance despite the genomics testing. No matter of her stars anyway she's still one of the best cows in the place & I didn't need her to be 5 stars to tell me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

No, she is eligible now but she wasn't for the last few years. Just goes to show how accurate it is when it takes the very final year to even get her into the scheme allowance despite the genomics testing. No matter of her stars anyway she's still one of the best cows in the place & I didn't need her to be 5 stars to tell me that.
    are you sure she qualifies for oct this year,I’m fairly sure it’s her stars when she was genotyped that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I got the letter in dec/jan about tag selection and still waiting. Weanlings going out today so another day of gathering

Sometime ago several posted that they had received theirs. I then logged onto ICBF and saw that the genomic bar indicated that the tags had been issued. Approx 3 weeks later I found them behind a curtain, the postman not meeting anyone had put them in an open window. Just about managed to get them sent off before the 28 Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

High bike wrote: »
    are you sure she qualifies for oct this year,I’m fairly sure it’s her stars when she was genotyped that counts

reasonably sure that's just for the stock bulls, your cows are subject to the moving goalposts.

edit; just reread your post ,you might be right on the genotyping,

from 2018 terms & cond

(i) 4 or 5 stars on the replacement index (on a within breed or on a cross breed basis) at the time of
    purchase (for heifers brought into the herd) or at the time of genotyping (for those replacements bred
    within the herd). Where a non-genotyped replacement heifer is purchased, this animal must be
    subsequently genotyped and confirmed 4 or 5 star on the replacement index (on a within or an
    across breed basis) before being deemed eligible for the Programme

you are right .

Yes, certainly seems eligible anyway as she's on the last report. The only reason I copped her was that I knew the number of cows we had which were 4 stars & eligible for the scheme. The most recent report had an extra one as qualified eligible which made me look into which had changed.
    All her evaluations have been genomic since I tagged her & she was one of the first we did.

Just noticed the yellow box now, what's that about? The fact some genomic tested ones have dropped since but still eligible?

510033.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Last sentence is the only thing that matters here. The star system is flawed, has been since its inception. Might have improved accuracy a little but is still not what I would be making decisions based upon. I would love to see a good informative concise breakdown of how the stars are calculated for a range of cows using historical calving, calving interval and weaning weight before I could have any confidence in them. Because as of now I think they pull them put of the cows ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Sometime ago several posted that they had received theirs. I then logged onto ICBF and saw that the genomic bar indicated that the tags had been issued. Approx 3 weeks later I found them behind a curtain, the postman not meeting anyone had put them in an open window. Just about managed to get them sent off before the 28 Feb.

Checked it there- they had my selection deferred until April 20th- I had enough cattle to tag but mostly males.

dh1985 wrote:
    Because as of now I think they pull them put of the cows ass.

Had two heifers a year apart same cow same bull, one had an index €20 more than the other.

When I enquired why the difference I was told it was their estimate that one was better than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Justjens wrote: »
    Had two heifers a year apart same cow same bull, one had an index €20 more than the other.

When I enquired why the difference I was told it was their estimate that one was better than the other.

Was there a difference in gestation length or calving difficulty between the two animals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

What happened to calves having a replacement index of the average of its parents? Bulled a few 5 star cows with high terminal bulls last year as I don't need too many more 4/5 star heifers but ICBF have a number of the calves rated at 1 star replacement ??

rushvalley wrote: »
    What happened to calves having a replacement index of the average of its parents? Bulled a few 5 star cows with high terminal bulls last year as I don't need too many more 4/5 star heifers but ICBF have a number of the calves rated at 1 star replacement ??

A five star cow could have a value close to €100 or close to €200.
    What replacement values do the bulls have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Yes, certainly seems eligible anyway as she's on the last report. The only reason I copped her was that I knew the number of cows we had which were 4 stars & eligible for the scheme. The most recent report had an extra one as qualified eligible which made me look into which had changed.
    All her evaluations have been genomic since I tagged her & she was one of the first we did.

Just noticed the yellow box now, what's that about? The fact some genomic tested ones have dropped since but still eligible?

510033.jpg
    i see your point but the t’s and c’s she has to be either 4 or 5 star at the time of genotyping your prob better off ringing to clarify .Have one her myself that I’d consider my best cow who was 3 star when genotyped and is now 5 star.The yellow box seems to be saying they’r stars may change before October so maybe can’t count on them.

510033.jpg

Yeah it's the value when they were first genomic tested that matters, if they drop later it doesn't matter. The whole thing is nuts.
    A cow might be eligible for the scheme in your herd but might not be eligible in anyone elses herd, for example cows born in your herd before 2013 are eligible for the scheme if they were 4/5* when genotyped but don't qualify if sold into another herd.
    A cow might only have 3 stars on your latest evaluation but was 4/5 stars on her first genomic evaluation so qualifies for the sheme even though the latest report gives the impression that she doesn't qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

i see your point but the t’s and c’s she has to be either 4 or 5 star at the time of genotyping your prob better off ringing to clarify .Have one her myself that I’d consider my best cow who was 3 star when genotyped and is now 5 star.The yellow box seems to be saying they’r stars may change before October so maybe can’t count on them.
    I have a cow that genotypes a 4 star but she has now drop of the eligible list (3 start on latest report) so if a cow can drop down you would assume they can also go up. Thankfully I have more eligible cows than I need. But I wouldn't be keeping cows based on stars. It would be on the breeding that I know is behind them. Any heifers I bought that comes from a dairy herd are all 5 star put they wouldn't calf / rear the best calves.

Was there a difference in gestation length or calving difficulty between the two animals?

Not that I recall, my records wouldn't be that accurate and there was no mention of that when I queried the ratings, it was their 'opinion' that one was better than the other.

I kept the lesser of the two and she bred the best rated heifer a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Justjens wrote: »
    Not that I recall, my records wouldn't be that accurate and there was no mention of that when I queried the ratings, it was their 'opinion' that one was better than the other.

I kept the lesser of the two and she bred the best rated heifer a couple of years ago.

Have twins here in the herd. Both have had 5 calves. Both calve on time every year. One is 2 stars. One is 5 stars at a value of €163. Bit like Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the old film twins.

Oh I don't need her for numbers, have enough to cover me for the Oct count without her so will let her be. No point chasing up on something excess to requirements.

Bit of good news today, well for me at least, a letter from the Dept. informing me that my BDGP appeal has been successful. :)

Just wondering tho: are the Dept. being a bit more sympathetic considering what's going on? They have a budget, might as well give it out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Got our tags the other day and tagged them today. They seem to have improved the quality of the tags on last year. No broken tags.

Advertisement