Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Any one know how long it takes the ICBF/Lab to process a hair sample these days ?

Posted off hair sample last week hopefully it will come through before the June deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

josephsoap wrote: »
    Any one know how long it takes the ICBF/Lab to process a hair sample these days ?

Posted off hair sample last week hopefully it will come through before the June deadline.

You can check on herdplus that they have received
    Once evaluated it doesn’t update straight away
    Best case is they’ll be included in July run

What’s the June deadline
    It’s October when you have to have the reference number of star females in the herd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

posted some last Friday and was sorted by wed this week

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

What’s the June deadline
    It’s October when you have to have the reference number of star females in the herd?

There is a 30th June 2020 'deadline' in relation to eligible 4 and 5 star Stock Bulls in your herd on that date

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

High bike wrote: »
    posted some last Friday and was sorted by wed this week

I sent one in dec, it was end of March before icbf did evaluations, the sire check was done in a few days but the genomic figure took ages ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

herd?

I tagged the calves and sent the tags away in March. On icbf it says they are currently printing my tags. I suppose if they say they don't have them I can send them photos of the calves' ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

amens wrote: »
    I tagged the calves and sent the tags away in March. On icbf it says they are currently printing my tags. I suppose if they say they don't have them I can send them photos of the calves' ears.

Try this.

Go into Services.

Then BDGP.

Under genotype information, click on view genotype details.

Put your herd number into the box, hit enter.

This will give you all the genotype tracking for your herd.

Ladies 'n' Gents,

Don't forget to complete the Carbon Navigator form we received at the end of February/early March, either by completing it online or posting the bloody thing back to ICBF. Neighbour of mine forgot to do it last year and got a sizeable Penalty for his troubles.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

amens wrote: »

I tagged mine on Thursday and posted them straight after. On my icbf it now says sample received after each of them. You should ring them and see if they got them.

tanko wrote: »
    Try this.

Go into Services.

Then BDGP.

Under genotype information, click on view genotype details.

Put your herd number into the box, hit enter.

This will give you all the genotype tracking for your herd.
    Just checked mine now,sent a batch away about a month ago some are verified and it just says more are sent to lab.Wouldnt you think they’d all be done together when they were posted together

• Advertisement

Just checked mine now,sent a batch away about a month ago some are verified and it just says more are sent to lab.Wouldnt you think they’d all be done together when they were posted together

That happens every year i find.
    Just checked my own there now, half the samples i posted are verified, the other half are sample in lab even though they were posted the same day.
    Maybe the DNA in some animals is easier to work out than others, it's the only reason i can think of.

tanko wrote: »
    That happens every year i find.
    Just checked my own there now, half the samples i posted are verified, the other half are sample in lab even though they were posted the same day.
    Maybe the DNA in some animals is easier to work out than others, it's the only reason i can think of.
    Your prob right
    I had one returned to me they said it was empty so sent a hair sample and that was done in a couple of days must be easier to verify the hair samples

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Your prob right
    I had one returned to me they said it was empty so sent a hair sample and that was done in a couple of days must be easier to verify the hair samples

I wouldnt think so, id say its just all the smaples are dumped in a a big box, dna is dna after all whether it comes in one from or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Micey.ie

Was looking to sell cow/calf(about month old),but found out if I do I will be penalised under BDGP scheme.All calves have to be 5 months before being sold to record surveys.
    Even though my reference is 8 cows for the scheme, I have 10 cows at present-I still can’t sell-every calf has to be kept 5 months.
    Must be the worst scheme ever to hit Irish farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Micey.ie wrote: »

Any scheme that pays me to tag calves is a good scheme. The worst scheme is the BVD scheme which I pay for to tag calves so I can find out what I already know, namely that they are negative. It's even better when the sample comes back empty and I can pay to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Was looking to sell cow/calf(about month old),but found out if I do I will be penalised under BDGP scheme.All calves have to be 5 months before being sold to record surveys.
    Even though my reference is 8 cows for the scheme, I have 10 cows at present-I still can’t sell-every calf has to be kept 5 months.

Way around that is to sell them before the calf is tagged and let buyer tag calf as his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

If only there was document that outlined the rules that the department gave out before they forced people on this scheme.

Something like a terms and conditions

Green&Red wrote: »
    If only there was document that outlined the rules that the department gave out before they forced people on this scheme.

Something like a terms and conditions

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/beefdataprogrammebdp/2015/BDGPITandCs220518.pdf

How are ye all. Above is the link to the Terms/Conditions of the infamous BDGP. I also attended the training course and information meeting in my locality for the scheme also.
    If youre still unsure of anything after reading the T/Cs give one of the women in the Dept in Portlaois a buzz, their very helpful

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/beefdataprogrammebdp/2015/BDGPITandCs220518.pdf

How are ye all. Above is the link to the Terms/Conditions of the infamous BDGP. I also attended the training course and information meeting in my locality for the scheme also.
    If youre still unsure of anything after reading the T/Cs give one of the women in the Dept in Portlaois a buzz, their very helpful

Sorrry forgot about the feckin number in Portlaois it's Lo Call 0761064423 r email them on beefschemes@agriculture.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Came home today to find letter that my appeal was successful, happy days

• Advertisement

I bought a new bull in March this year, the bull was not genotyped when I got him, I subsequently genotyped him,

I’m in the BDGP 1 scheme and the deadline was the bull had to be 5 star genotyped on 31 July 2020, I missed this deadline as his results wasn’t back at this stage - the bull is a 5 star bull. I’m compliant in every other part of this scheme - any know what type of penalty I might be looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I bought a new bull in March this year, the bull was not genotyped when I got him, I subsequently genotyped him,

I’m in the BDGP 1 scheme and the deadline was the bull had to be 5 star genotyped on 31 July 2020, I missed this deadline as his results wasn’t back at this stage - the bull is a 5 star bull. I’m compliant in every other part of this scheme - any know what type of penalty I might be looking at ?

It's not 31st of July yet?

emaherx wrote: »
    It's not 31st of July yet?

Lols apologies the deadline was 30 June to have a 5 star genotyped bull in your herd on that date if using stock bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Lols apologies the deadline was 30 June to have a 5 star genotyped bull in your herd on that date if using stock bull.

If the results come back as 5* that should do, he was in your herd on that date

They are slow as anything getting results back, still waiting on two heifers from April

Will there be much demand for 5*s come end of October?

Green&Red wrote: »
    I’d the results come back as 5* that should do, he was in your herd on that date

They are slow as anything getting results back, still waiting on two heifers from April

Will there be much demand for 5*s come end of October?
    same here waiting on results since April too, no doubt we’ll be told it’d down to Covid like everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

When will this be paid for this year? December?

893bet wrote: »
    When will this be paid for this year? December?

It has usually been paid around the 15th-20th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Will this scheme roll over I wonder?
    Despite all the negativity at times, I would say it has forced lads to think harder about breeding, and try to improve the herd average.
    Was the incentive for me to switch to all AI, and try upping my game.
    No doubt in my mind that the 4 and 5 star cows are significantly better breeders than the lower cohort!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Will this scheme roll over I wonder?
    Despite all the negativity at times, I would say it has forced lads to think harder about breeding, and try to improve the herd average.
    Was the incentive for me to switch to all AI, and try upping my game.
    No doubt in my mind that the 4 and 5 star cows are significantly better breeders than the lower cohort!!!

I would say the beep-s is the successor and is already in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Grueller wrote: »
    I would say the beep-s is the successor and is already in place.
    I think Beeps is a far better program
    Sadly there’s allot of cost

Advertisement