Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I am a member and he asked me to do it for him but I just couldn't figure it out.

Select "applications" from the top row of options.
    Select "animal search"
    key in the tag number, without spaces.

If the animals were purchased from a non HerdPlus herd, the results will not appear.t the

On reflection, the fact that they are now in a non HerdPlus is probably the reason that you can't access the information. We sold 11 in calf earlier this year, I was interested in knowing how they fared, but could only access those that were on a HerdPlus farm. Whether they had calved down was not available.

I though I would get the information from a different angle by looking up the stock bull's progeny. ICBF are only showing calf tags for calves born 2019 for one, and only calf tags for 2016 for the other stock bull. One bull was purchased in 2018 and the other in 2015, both are still on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

amens wrote: »
    My experience with the department is that it is standard practice for them not to respond.

I deal with all sections and beef schemes is the worst, total ding dongs

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

An elderly neighbouring farmer has received a recoupment letter from the BDGP for €10k, much to his horror.

Has anyone else heard of anyone else receiving similar letters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

An elderly neighbouring farmer has received a recoupment letter from the BDGP for €10k, much to his horror.

Did it give a reason?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Did it give a reason?

HE HAD BEEN REMOVED DUE TO NOT COMPLYING WITH THE 2018 GENOTYPING. THEREFORE, EVERY BOB HE RECEIVED FROM THE DEPARTMENT WILL HAVE TO BE PAID BACK BY HIM. THE POOR AULD DIVIL TOLD ME HE HASNT SLEPT SINCE HE GOT THE LETTER DEMANDING HE PAY IT ALL BACK TO CAVAN WITHIN 10 DAYS OR ELSE THEYLL START ADDING INTEREST ONTO THE AMOUNT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:
    Hurling Hereford, you need to keep your cool or you'll fall prey of the rules! Keep abuse out of your posts. Typing in block capitals is considered 'shouting' on the internet. You don't need to it to get attention. Posting normally is sufficient.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Mod:
    Hurling Hereford, you need to keep your cool or you'll fall prey of the rules! Keep abuse out of your posts. Typing in block capitals is considered 'shouting' on the internet. You don't need to it to get attention. Posting normally is sufficient.

Apologies. I had left the Caps Lock button on by mistake. It wasn't my intention of 'shouting' at anyone. Mea Culpa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

HE HAD BEEN REMOVED DUE TO NOT COMPLYING WITH THE 2018 GENOTYPING. THEREFORE, EVERY BOB HE RECEIVED FROM THE DEPARTMENT WILL HAVE TO BE PAID BACK BY HIM. THE POOR AULD DIVIL TOLD ME HE HASNT SLEPT SINCE HE GOT THE LETTER DEMANDING HE PAY IT ALL BACK TO CAVAN WITHIN 10 DAYS OR ELSE THEYLL START ADDING INTEREST ONTO THE AMOUNT.

Poor form they waited this long to tell him.

1. Did he receive the ear genomic sampling tags in 2018
    2. Does he have these genomic tags in his possession,
    3. Does he still own the 2018 cows/heifers
    4. Did the returned samples get lost in the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I help an older farmer
    Fill in the paperwork, tag the relevant etc
    A comment he made once was how is an auld person who can’t use phones & internet supposed to do this stuff

It feels like things are setup for this
    2 years to tell you that you weren’t compliant but the farmer has no time

Have you contacted IFA ICSA etc for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

In fairness, he would have had post indicating whether he had reached the requirements for the scheme in 2018, 2019 and 2020?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

In fairness, he would have had post indicating whether he had reached the requirements for the scheme in 2018, 2019 and 2020?

Yes, I understand that. But just seeing similar from my father, anything with ICBF on it he brings up to me asking what it means. He'd act on stuff far quicker by himself if it said 'Warning, you will owe us lots of money if you don't do X by Y date'.
    If nothing was being done by the farmer in question, why couldn't they suspend payments? They seem to be quick enough about doing that in many other cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Yes, I understand that. But just seeing similar from my father, anything with ICBF on it he brings up to me asking what it means. He'd act on stuff far quicker by himself if it said 'Warning, you will owe us lots of money if you don't do X by Y date'.
    If nothing was being done by the farmer in question, why couldn't they suspend payments? They seem to be quick enough about doing that in many other cases.

It’s the way things are going. It’s also why people who don’t have anyone to ask should be with Teagasc, it’s money well spent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

With a 10k payment he must have a good few cows and did he receive tags for 2019 and 2020 cattle to be tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We didn't fill in the surveys one year and were deducted before we got paid. Seems odd penalizing 2 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

With a 10k payment he must have a good few cows and did he receive tags for 2019 and 2020 cattle to be tested.

Can they claim on just this scheme or all Schemes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dad was telling me today that years ago he got paid his beef premium on the double. He rang portlaoise and they said that couldn't happen and he was wrong. 4 years later they came back to him that they had found an overpayment. They wanted the money paid back asap. He had the name of the man he spoke to 4 years previously in his diary. He rang them back and offered to pay 500 pounds every 6 months to repay it. Once the first repayment was made within a week they accepted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dad was telling me today that years ago he got paid his beef premium on the double. He rang portlaoise and they said that couldn't happen and he was wrong. 4 years later they came back to him that they had found an overpayment. They wanted the money paid back asap. He had the name of the man he spoke to 4 years previously in his diary. He rang them back and offered to pay 500 pounds every 6 months to repay it. Once the first repayment was made within a week they accepted it.
    Fair play on him for holding onto the diary, keep meaning to start one

Got the vaccinating and weighing completed. First born calf 26 Feb weighed 364 and the lightest 204 born 6 May. Averaged 266 kg. One calf tried to leap over the headlock, managing to get his forelegs up onto the top of it. Unbelievable how he managed to leap that high from a confined space with a backing bar behind him. I forget to note on the record sheet which one he was, don't know which one of them he is now. Never witnessed an animal try that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Got the vaccinating and weighing completed. First born calf 26 Feb weighed 364 and the lightest 204 born 6 May. Averaged 266 kg. One calf tried to leap over the headlock, managing to get his forelegs up onto the top of it. Unbelievable how he managed to leap that high from a confined space with a backing bar behind him. I forget to note on the record sheet which one he was, don't know which one of them he is now. Never witnessed an animal try that before.

Massive weight on that 26 Feb calf. About 1.9kg LWG! Serious performance in fairness!
    What’s the breeding? Charolais I guess! Would he be on creep feed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jfh wrote: »
    Fair play on him for holding onto the diary, keep meaning to start one

OH keeps a very detailed one since she was a teen and on computer for more than 20 years. She can find any past information in it now using search

Massive weight on that 26 Feb calf. About 1.9kg LWG! Serious performance in fairness!
    What’s the breeding? Charolais I guess! Would he be on creep feed?

It is around 1.66 lwg if you take his birth weight out. Being fed by two cows from birth has a hand in it.. The first heifer to calve lost her calf, stupidity and delay in assisting her, this calf kept at her until she took to him. She is totally attached to him, she used bawl her head off at him in the lie back, he only bothered with her when he wanted a top up feed.

The calf's sire is SI and the DAM's sire is Sympa and Dam BBX

I would put it down to the double milk, only on grass - he is a good length

I sent off some hair samples a few weeks ago to get a few animals genomic evaluation done. They're up as having parentage confirmed but I can't locate where to find out the results of the test.

Any ideas where to look?

Edit: D'OH! Found them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I sent off some hair samples a few weeks ago to get a few animals genomic evaluation done. They're up as having parentage confirmed but I can't locate where to find out the results of the test.

Any ideas where to look?

Edit: D'OH! Found them.

Where did you find them

Where did you find them

It's on the ICBF site. Select reports after logging on and then eurostar reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

It is around 1.66 lwg if you take his birth weight out. Being fed by two cows from birth has a hand in it.. The first heifer to calve lost her calf, stupidity and delay in assisting her, this calf kept at her until she took to him. She is totally attached to him, she used bawl her head off at him in the lie back, he only bothered with her when he wanted a top up feed.

The calf's sire is SI and the DAM's sire is Sympa and Dam BBX

I would put it down to the double milk, only on grass - he is a good length

I suppose the lesson is that milk in any calfs dam is critical. I see three of my own regularly swinging off a lim cow who hasn’t a whole lot of milk to start with.
    Weighed my own Saturday. Overall average weight gain 1.2kg per day. Getting 1kg head nuts in a field trough other side of creep wire. Cows are handyish sized lims 600kg to 650kg.
    I suppose it’s average enough, or maybe a bit below average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

In the beep s scheme when can you sell cows. I've a few that are rearing calves but I plan to cull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    In the beep s scheme when can you sell cows. I've a few that are rearing calves but I plan to cull.

I think as soon as you weigh, it's the calves that you have to keep for an additional two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

jfh wrote: »
    I think as soon as you weigh, it's the calves that you have to keep for an additional two weeks

So the cows can get the road straight after they are weighed?

Advertisement