Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    So the cows can get the road straight after they are weighed?

As long as calves have been fed meal for last 4 weeks and you have a date recorded to show this. And a receipt for meal from before that date. (If you've chosen meal option)

And as long as you don't need cows for your BDGP scheme if you are in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

emaherx wrote: »
    As long as calves have been fed meal for last 4 weeks and you have a date recorded to show this. And a receipt for meal from before that date. (If you've chosen meal option)

And as long as you don't need cows for your BDGP scheme if you are in it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

I've a set of heifer twins, one in 4 star the other 5 star, thought twins would be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

jfh wrote: »
    I've a set of heifer twins, one in 4 star the other 5 star, thought twins would be the same?

That's the satellite eye in the sky for you, they can see that the're not identical twins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Are they genomic tested... I never lose too much sleep as lads will figure good cattle regardless of stars.. I see a few lads spending a lot of effort .. including the dealer column in the journal...knocking icbf recently .. while I don't always agree with icbf I would like to see what alternative the boys or girls that knock icbf offer..as that would be interesting to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Had the ae myself a few yrs back but never queried it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bellview wrote: »
    Are they genomic tested... I never lose too much sleep as lads will figure good cattle regardless of stars.. I see a few lads spending a lot of effort .. including the dealer column in the journal...knocking icbf recently .. while I don't always agree with icbf I would like to see what alternative the boys or girls that knock icbf offer..as that would be interesting to see

You often see human twins with different capabilities and talents.
    If calves are tested at birth genomics will differentiate but relying on data only they shouldn't be able to differentiate until data comes back from their own progeny

wrangler wrote: »
    You often see human twins with different capabilities and talents.
    If calves are tested at birth genomics will differentiate but relying on data only they shouldn't be able to differentiate until data comes back from their own progeny

Oh I'm not losing sleep about it, found it interesting, both genomic tested, one €95, the other €110.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Oh I'm not losing sleep about it, found it interesting, both genomic tested, one €95, the other €110.

That explains it so, twins can be completely different depending on which parent they get most of their genetics, the dam might be prominent in one and the sire prominent in the other.

wrangler wrote: »
    That explains it so, twins can be completely different depending on which parent they get most of their genetics, the dam might be prominent in one and the sire prominent in the other.

Yes the lower one is like the dam, a grey ch the other a black lm is the higher rated one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

If you haven’t an online account with the ICBF, is it possible to find out the star ratings of weanling heifers in your herd? I know you can see all females in your herd if you have paid for the online account but would they tell you what a younger heifer was if you rang them up? Don’t think they would be on the printed reports unless older and genotyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If you haven’t an online account with the ICBF, is it possible to find out the star ratings of weanling heifers in your herd? I know you can see all females in your herd if you have paid for the online account but would they tell you what a younger heifer was if you rang them up? Don’t think they would be on the printed reports unless older and genotyped.

Are you in the genomics scheme (BDGP) ?
    If so just input tag number on the animal search function.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Any news on whether the scheme will continue or not ?

Any news on whether the scheme will continue or not ?

I'm sure we will see something similar.. expect higher mix of 4 or 5 star as they fart less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Bellview wrote: »
    I'm sure we will see something similar.. expect higher mix of 4 or 5 star as they fart less

I bought 3 in-calf Heifers last week - 2 x5 star and 1 x3 star. The 3 star is the pick of them by a mile.

Dunedin wrote: »
    I bought 3 in-calf Heifers last week - 2 x5 star and 1 x3 star. The 3 star is the pick of them by a mile.

Often happens. Personally I think the beep scheme calf weights should get used in rating.. i know a few smart ass boys will mess with dates to get adg increased but majority will do it right. I have a few 2 stars and they putting up better daily gains than 5 .. for us the 50% mix allowed us keep the best of what was in the yard regardless of stars ..

Article in the dealer in the journal sounds like a lad caught out with an inspection..

Well, she would be better looking but on average she will have less milk and poorer fertility.
    I was talking to a pedigree breeder who got serious money for a heifer. I asked him how the mother was for milk as she had very poor milk in her breeding. He told me he had to rear the calf on a Jersey cow as the mother hadn't a drop. :D
    Now the buyer will be fairly pissed off when he calves her down and she hasn't a drop, but hey ............. she was a smasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Maybe, maybe not.
    My best looking cows are not my best performing

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Are you in the genomics scheme (BDGP) ?
    If so just input tag number on the animal search function.

Super - never knew that. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Well, she would be better looking but on average she will have less milk and poorer fertility.

My worst cows are a few that I AI’d to Zag. Fierce butty and feck all milk And they are out of good cows. The 3 heifers I bought are to (Assuming they work out) show the road to the 3 Zag ladies. Was zag not supposed to be 5* maternal?

• Advertisement

My worst cows are a few that I AI’d to Zag. Fierce butty and feck all milk And they are out of good cows. The 3 heifers I bought are to (Assuming they work out) show the road to the 3 Zag ladies. Was zag not supposed to be 5* maternal?

ZAG has no milk. Bottom 15% of the limousin breed. Crazy as he is by Commander and Hawk, both great for milk. He gets his 5 stars from his great fertility, easy calving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

He still is a 5* maternal bull but at least €100 lower than he was a few years ago.
    ZAG was supposed to be the perfect bull to breed cows off according to ICBF.
    ICBF are giving too much % weighting to fertility in the maternal index.
    ZAG daughters are by and large very fertile, have two of them here and they go in calf easily so far.
    But ZAG scores poorly for skeletal ( they are smaller than average), docility (found them quiet enough here tho), daughters milk (they do lack milk big time).
    He’s poor for daughters calving difficultly.

The way the maternal index is put together is flawed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I was talking to a pedigree breeder who got serious money for a heifer. I asked him how the mother was for milk as she had very poor milk in her breeding. He told me he had to rear the calf on a Jersey cow as the mother hadn't a drop. :D
    Now the buyer will be fairly pissed off when he calves her down and she hasn't a drop, but hey ............. she was a smasher.

Ya a high profile breeder down here has fr cows for rearing pedigree calves but has them in his wife's herd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

tanko wrote: »
    He still is a 5* maternal bull but at least €100 lower than he was a few years ago.
    ZAG was supposed to be the perfect bull to breed cows off according to ICBF.
    ICBF are giving too much % weighting to fertility in the maternal index.
    ZAG daughters are by and large very fertile, have two of them here and they go in calf easily so far.
    But ZAG scores poorly for skeletal ( they are smaller than average), docility (found them quiet enough here tho), daughters milk (they do lack milk big time).
    He’s poor for daughters calving difficultly.

The way the maternal index is put together is flawed imo.

Have a ZAG ped lim heifer calved this year and had good milk for six weeks and now her calf has suffered from lack of milk. Really regret letting the Ai man putting in that ZAG straw when our own container was locked away when he called to serve her dam. Agree totally about the flawed system, personally I think the earlier calving is carrying too much weighing in the maternal side of the equation, would it not be better to have more milk and easier calving that calving 5 days earlier that her herd mates. The Ai stations are getting away with murder over bulls with high ratings and then dropping like stones and who looses out only the farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ya a high profile breeder down here has fr cows for rearing pedigree calves but has them in his wife's herd number.

And who is he kidding in the long run with big weights.😇😇

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have a ZAG ped lim heifer calved this year and had good milk for six weeks and now her calf has suffered from lack of milk. Really regret letting the Ai man putting in that ZAG straw when our own container was locked away when he called to serve her dam. Agree totally about the flawed system, personally I think the earlier calving is carrying too much weighing in the maternal side of the equation, would it not be better to have more milk and easier calving that calving 5 days earlier that her herd mates. The Ai stations are getting away with murder over bulls with high ratings and then dropping like stones and who looses out only the farmer.

1000% have 2 heifers out of tvr and mbp, out of 3 star cows, the mbp has a higish dau calving difficulty and really bad milk and good fertility, and Is a 3 star, the tvr is OK for milk, bad fertility and really good dau calv difficulty, and is 1 star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Had an inspection for this today, fairly straight forward, checking the little white tags in the ears and looking at how quite cattle were compared to what was submitted, thankfully all were well behaved. The inspector also wanted a copy of the the first carbon navigator submission doe back in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Lads is there any way of checking what stars heifers are if you are not signed up to icbf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Lads is there any way of checking what stars heifers are if you are not signed up to icbf ?

Icbf animal search App. I don't think you need to log into it. But could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

emaherx wrote: »
    Icbf animal search App. I don't think you need to log into it. But could be wrong

Was trying that but noting coming up when I enter the tag number

Advertisement