Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭tanko

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Lads is there any way of checking what stars heifers are if you are not signed up to icbf ?

I think the heifers have to be in a herd number which is signed up to ICBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Eligible heifers are doing a good trade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Talking to a lad the other evening he has to buy two 4/5 star animals and as heifers are so expensive he is going to see if he can pick up two young cull cows, fatten them and then kill them around Christmas, he is of the opinion that he would be better off than give big money for maiden heifers at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Talking to a lad the other evening he has to buy two 4/5 star animals and as heifers are so expensive he is going to see if he can pick up two young cull cows, fatten them and then kill them around Christmas, he is of the opinion that he would be better off than give big money for maiden heifers at this time of year.

Heard of another buying 4 HEX 5 star heifers 350kg @ €400

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye lads are looking at the cheapest way to tick the box on the 31st October and then move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Heard of another buying 4 HEX 5 star heifers 350kg @ €400

That would be light enough for being born before june 19?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

Green&Red wrote: »
    Eligible heifers are doing a good trade

I heard that also, entered two 5 star lim x heifers, was very disappointed with the price, I sold a one star heifer same weight the following sat in an ordinary sale and made more

jfh wrote: »
    I heard that also, entered two 5 star lim x heifers, was very disappointed with the price, I sold a one star heifer same weight the following sat in an ordinary sale and made more

I bought four angus heifers, out of dairy stock last July, €630, genotyped them. They've filled out into nice heifers and went for €900 this week.

I think theres a shortage of genotyped heifers

I bought four angus heifers, out of dairy stock last July, €630, genotyped them. They've filled out into nice heifers and went for €900 this week.

I think theres a shortage of genotyped heifers

That's a great twist, did you sell privately?
    What weight were they?

jfh wrote: »
    That's a great twist, did you sell privately?
    What weight were they?

Ya, Rang four Teagasc men in the county telling them I had spares if they had people looking. They were 300kg when I bought them, probably 360/370 now

• Advertisement

Ya, Rang four Teagasc men in the county telling them I had spares if they had people looking. They were 300kg when I bought them, probably 360/370 now

Fair play thinking to ring teagasc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

that's some price for the weights,they wouldn't make 800 around here

High bike wrote: »
    that's some price for the weights,they wouldn't make 800 around here

Ur man was only interested in the cheapest way of filling his requirements

Had another man come and take 2 black whiteheads, 2yo, 450kg, €1200 apiece.

I wouldn’t agree with gouging anyone but I’d say he’d have given €1500 if I asked.

Ive one left to go, I’d say I could name my price come the last weekend in October. If I had more I wouldn’t be in a rush to get rid them. Lads that are short will have to panic at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

I wouldn’t agree with gouging anyone but I’d say he’d have given €1500 if I asked.

Ive one left to go, I’d say I could name my price come the last weekend in October. If I had more I wouldn’t be in a rush to get rid them. Lads that are short will have to panic at some stage.
    what part of the country are u?

High bike wrote: »
    what part of the country are u?

Mayo

No harm in ringin teagasc lads if you have spares and try and organise privately. These lads were happy enough to be helping out their clients

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

I've four 5 star genotyped heifers here in Cork I'm fattening for slaughter. Three are eurostar €150 and the other €122 from 440kg to 570kg in weight. €1200 for your 450kg heifers seems a good deal to me. I can't see myself making alot of money out of them at the factory.

It just shows there’s a demand from lads short on 5* heifers

Last one went this morning, €1200 again, no haggling again shows the farmer buying is happy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

It just shows there’s a demand from lads short on 5* heifers

Last one went this morning, €1200 again, no haggling again shows the farmer buying is happy too

What age and weight are we talking?

2yo first week in November. I’d guess at 450kg

Sounds like some farmers need to have a look at what heifers are selling for in the marts.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Sounds like some farmers need to have a look at what heifers are selling for in the marts.

What are eligible heifers going for?

Plenty of part time farmers don't like going into the mart. Buying in particular, these are all suckler men who generally only see cattle go one direction from the farm

What are eligible heifers going for?

Plenty of part time farmers don't like going into the mart. Buying in particular, these are all suckler men who generally only see cattle go one direction from the farm

Eligible heifers like yours weren’t making €2/kg 2-3 weeks ago from what i saw.

Fair play to you for getting what you did but i don’t think you would get the colour of it in a mart unless they’ve gone up massively in the last two weeks.

Eligible heifers like yours weren’t making €2/kg 2-3 weeks ago from what i saw.

Fair play to you for getting what you did but i don’t think you would get the colour of it in a mart unless they’ve gone up massively in the last two weeks.

There’s a lot to be said for selling from home. Like I said plenty of fellas don’t like going to the mart

There’s a sale of fancy young heifers on LSL at Carnaross mart on now.

I sold 2 smashing 5 star lmx heifers in ennis at the icbf sale, both 415 kgs, one was a bbx x lm, both rated over 130, got 890 & 920, I would have brought them home except I was too busy to go back up to collect.
    I've another on donedeal for the last week & got one call, must be in the wrong part of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

There’s a sale of fancy young heifers on LSL at Carnaross mart on now.

One made 3200, some middlin heifers there, some premium on them

One made 3200, some middlin heifers there, some premium on them

Haven’t been watching it, lads lose the run of themselves at those sales.
    Doubtful if a lot of those U grade heifers would have much milk.
    I’d prefer a good square R grade.

Started watching this now. The auctioneer is announcing that 4/5 star heifers born this year are eligible for the BDGP scheme even though they’re not and it says BDGP NO on the mart board.
    Unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Started watching this now. The auctioneer is announcing that 4/5 star heifers born this year are eligible for the BDGP scheme even though they’re not and it says BDGP NO on the mart board.
    Unbelievable stuff.

I wonder what comeback would there be when the buyer finds out they aren't eligible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Unbelievable stuff.

That's not the unbelievable bit

Advertisement