Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

This is an annual sale?

*frantically hopes for heifers next year*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wonder what comeback would there be when the buyer finds out they aren't eligible

Caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wonder what comeback would there be when the buyer finds out they aren't eligible

I was thinking the same, it’s comical.
    How nobody in the mart has pointed out his mistake to him is hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Lot 100 there is lovely, but not worth €3700 at 440kg
    I suppose the NO on the screen would be the argument that the info on screen is what you go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

tanko wrote: »
    Eligible heifers like yours weren’t making €2/kg 2-3 weeks ago from what i saw.

Fair play to you for getting what you did but i don’t think you would get the colour of it in a mart unless they’ve gone up massively in the last two weeks.

Had 3 bought last week, Lmx at 390kgs at 810 and 5star at 131 euro value, two Bwh at 480 kgs at 940 and 5 star at 140 and 130 euro value. A total of 120 heifers available in the mart and later in the sale they got cheaper as the lad buying for me said they made less than 2 a kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads, any hint from any anyone that this scheme will continue on after this year?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Lads, any hint from any anyone that this scheme will continue on after this year?

Talking to a person that would be in the know last week. They said that they had a meeting about it and it was mentioned, but there were 11 at the meeting and there is no decision. It is all up in the air. Absolutely no commitments were made about a continuation or a follow up scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I couldn't continue with current reference number, I've only kept half the number of cows that Dad had in the beginning of the scheme so I've met my criteria for 4 and 5 star cows barely. I'd be happy to continue genotyping calves but I'm not going to tie myself to cow numbers for years again.

emaherx wrote: »
    I couldn't continue with current reference number, I've only kept half the number of cows that Dad had in the beginning of the scheme so I've met my criteria for 4 and 5 star cows barely. I'd be happy to continue genotyping calves but I'm not going to tie myself to cow numbers for years again.

Exactly this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I thought genotypes were meant to be updated this morning?
    Anyone else waiting on hair samples to be shown on ICBF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Green&Red wrote: »
    I thought genotypes were meant to be updated this morning?
    Anyone else waiting on hair samples to be shown on ICBF?

Updated Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

emaherx wrote: »

Some of us were the opposite then - stuck with a low reference number for the last number of years even though we’re carrying probably double it now. Just had a bad year the year the reference number was made and that’s it then. I liked the Beep scheme that it was based on current figures. Get more for weighing than I do on bdgp. I do hope there is a continuation scheme though for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I can see some form of a mix of the two schemes continuing, I have increased the number of cows from when the BDGP started so I would prefer if it was just paid on the number of cows you have any year like BEEP. Its a pain trying to match numbers up all the time. There has been a lot of money invested in ICBF so scheme of some type based on stars will continue.Was there not something originally that the BDGP was actually based on the area you farmed , might have been €80 a cow but was calculated as €8 per acre if you had 10 acres.

I hope they continue it too. Too much work done to date building up a national database on genetics just to throw it all in the bin. Also, these labs like Enfer etc all need to be kept working away in the background in case of another Covid type virus.

It would suit me for a new reference to begin again, as I have increased numbers since. it's easier sell pedigree bulls too when they are 4 or 5 stars genotyped, when lads need them for the scheme. I can put money into breeding then, rather than feeding and having them looking good for sale.

I hope they continue it too. Too much work done to date building up a national database on genetics just to throw it all in the bin. Also, these labs like Enfer etc all need to be kept working away in the background in case of another Covid type virus.

It would suit me for a new reference to begin again, as I have increased numbers since. it's easier sell pedigree bulls too when they are 4 or 5 stars genotyped, when lads need them for the scheme. I can put money into breeding then, rather than feeding and having them looking good for sale.

Can’t wait for it to finish, with the goal posts moved over the life time of the scheme. Away from a suckler cow to a dairy cross with a big emphasis on the heifer calving a couple of days earlier and all geared towards the dairy cattle. Ai stations getting away with murder promotion of 5 star bulls when progeny arrive on the ground falling like stones, icbf making a mint of money off farmers with filling and posting out paperwork at cost instead of all being done on line.

Can’t wait for it to finish, with the goal posts moved over the life time of the scheme. Away from a suckler cow to a dairy cross with a big emphasis on the heifer calving a couple of days earlier and all geared towards the dairy cattle. Ai stations getting away with murder promotion of 5 star bulls when progeny arrive on the ground falling like stones, icbf making a mint of money off farmers with filling and posting out paperwork at cost instead of all being done on line.

The AI companies do benefit from it to be sure but you don't need to go down the dairy cross route. Most of my purebreds here qualify. I never do any paperwork. All done online on ICBF.
    At the end of the day, you don't have to join.

Nothing wrong with angus or limo crossed with good british freisian cows.

Finishing good r grade heifers and bullocks off those cows here at serious weights

If you run a good bull with them you will get very nice cattle and the dam will have plenty of milk and will have a bit of class.

Very true Barktastic, if you could get the red limo heifer out of a British friesian cow they make a fantastic suckler cow.If you could manage it you could actually double suckle them.

Finishing good r grade heifers and bullocks off those cows here at serious weights

If you run a good bull with them you will get very nice cattle and the dam will have plenty of milk and will have a bit of class.

The British Friesian is the problem there though. I am a new entrant to dairying and have a few cows that are 70% + British Friesian and they will go out of here as soon as I am up to my required number. They will not fill a bulk tank the way a 70% + holstein cross will. There is no comparison in the output, you could be talking 80kg milk solids per year in my case. That is €350 per year lost.
    I bought the Br.Fr with the idea of having a good calf to rear myself but have abandoned that idea when I saw the difference in output of the cows.

Grueller wrote: »
    The British Friesian is the problem there though. I am a new entrant to dairying and have a few cows that are 70% + British Friesian and they will go out of here as soon as I am up to my required number. They will not fill a bulk tank the way a 70% + holstein cross will. There is no comparison in the output, you could be talking 80kg milk solids per year in my case. That is €350 per year lost.
    I bought the Br.Fr with the idea of having a good calf to rear myself but have abandoned that idea when I saw the difference in output of the cows.

But with the British Fr, would you gain in fertility and overall health?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Just done the carbon navigator online, after a lot of online searching for it, suposed to be done on the 01 October, but never noticed it pop up on the icbf news thing like it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Just done the carbon navigator online, after a lot of online searching for it, suposed to be done on the 01 October, but never noticed it pop up on the icbf news thing like it used to.

Where did you do it? I didn’t think there was one for 2020?

The AI companies do benefit from it to be sure but you don't need to go down the dairy cross route. Most of my purebreds here qualify. I never do any paperwork. All done online on ICBF.
    At the end of the day, you don't have to join.

What I was trying to say we are doing online and still getting paperwork out in the post at a cost, when the scheme started it was about a continental cow not about a dairy cross with possible jersey in the blood and the way they have come up with the dairy cross index.

That is your system and our system was producing top end weanlings for export where U grade was the minimum and colour is very important.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Very true Barktastic, if you could get the red limo heifer out of a British friesian cow they make a fantastic suckler cow.If you could manage it you could actually double suckle them.

Double suckling was not allowed for the scheme.

Probably not allowed but sure you wouldn't have to tell them. We used to do it years ago it was some hardship getting the cow to take with the second calf, but it was a good way of feeding an extra few calves. Remember we had a blue shorthorn cow and any year she had a heifer she would feed 3 calves.

That is your system and our system was producing top end weanlings for export where U grade was the minimum and colour is very important.
    Fair enough but id say anyone with say over 40 cows would be happy with r grade cattle and less hassle calving especially if part time

If you have a smaller bundle of cows and are selling at 12 months then higher quality would be a factor.

Grueller wrote: »

This is probably why it is getting harder to buy nice dairy cross black heifers as they nearly always have holstein in them

Are the holstein type cows less durable though?

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Safety is a factor as well. You can walk up to these cows in the field and they are less dangerous at calving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Fair enough but id say anyone with say over 40 cows would be happy with r grade cattle and less hassle calving especially if part time

If you have a smaller bundle of cows and are selling at 12 months then higher quality would be a factor.

I get as much hassle from r grade calves as I do from u and e's, same principle applies whether you have 10 or 40, quality<quantity,

Advertisement