Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

I get as much hassle from r grade calves as I do from u and e's, same principle applies whether you have 10 or 40, quality<quantity,
    What breed is your bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What breed is your bull?

AI,

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Safety is a factor as well. You can walk up to these cows in the field and they are less dangerous at calving

I started off buying in heifers from dairy farmers and now I breed my own replacements. I've not had any safety issues with my own at calving. They are used to seeing me since they were born.

I only have slats so cows have to lie on them. If the weather is bad when they calve in early February then they must go back there for a while. The first cross cows have massive udders when they calve and are not suited to that.

Also a first cross cow will produce calves of variable quality. A bull calf could look like the father but a heifer could resemble the boney mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Lads, any hint from any anyone that this scheme will continue on after this year?

Why would the Dept run it again when they’ve had nothing but abuse about it?
    That’s why we can’t have nice things

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Exactly. Farmers are their own worst enemy. And now with the country broke AGAIN by pandemic, there won’t be any spate mula down the back of the couch, to hand over to an ungrateful bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You know, nearly every farmer I talked to said that the scheme was 'a load of sh1te'. The worst thing ever to happen beef farming here. Hard to know at times. If the info used by ICBF is coming from the farmers to begin with, how can they complain about that very info.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Still no update, this evening apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

You know, nearly every farmer I talked to said that the scheme was 'a load of sh1te'. The worst thing ever to happen beef farming here. Hard to know at times. If the info used by ICBF is coming from the farmers to begin with, how can they complain about that very info.

I quite liked the scheme,
    But my Dad fell ill and died in a fairly short period of time during 2017, I continued farming but due to having a full time job off farm I've only a quarter of the amount cattle that he had. Cow numbers are just over half of the original referrence number. Because of the scheme I've culled a few young 3 star cows and held onto some old 5 star cows which will be heading out the gate in November, although I've a few 5 star replacements if the scheme could continue in some way, but I'd be very reluctant to tie myself to cow numbers for years as you never know what is around the corner. No way I'd consider increasing cow numbers either if I had to meet 75% of the original referance number.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

its the mad swings in evaluations when they move the goalposts that would have you wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

oneten wrote: »
    its the mad swings in evaluations when they move the goalposts that would have you wondering

Ah sure when lads find 3 month old calves in the rushes, and register them as born this morning, what can you expect.
    Not to mention good Friesian cows rearing pedigree beef bulls while it’s dam is ticked as having a tanker of milk...

• Advertisement

Was at a 4/5 star sale in Ballina today, also keeping an eye on the ICBF app because I was waiting on a few heifers to be confirmed as 5*.

They had provided a list of all the heifers and as they were going through I was checking their rating when I could keep up to speed. Turns out what was up on the board was the rating they had when checked in this morning but quite a few of them had dropped to 3* by the time they were in the ring. Plenty of fellas bought 4* heifers who were 3* by the time they landed home in the yard.
    I know it was bad timing that the mart was on at exactly the same time as ICBF update but there'll be war about it.
    The auctioneer was very clear at the start that they werent responsible for the cattle and that everything you needed was on the board

I landed home with six heifers, all five star or so I thought, two shorthorn heifers that were up as being genotyped but when I got home and checked them theres no genotype available for the two of them. I already have my quota and I'm happy enough to keep the two of them but I'd be very p!ssed off if I was short numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

But the update hasn’t gone online yet?

But the update hasn’t gone online yet?

It has, was live today from some time after 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Green&Red wrote: »
    Was at a 4/5 star sale in Ballina today, also keeping an eye on the ICBF app because I was waiting on a few heifers to be confirmed as 5*.

They had provided a list of all the heifers and as they were going through I was checking their rating when I could keep up to speed. Turns out what was up on the board was the rating they had when checked in this morning but quite a few of them had dropped to 3* by the time they were in the ring. Plenty of fellas bought 4* heifers who were 3* by the time they landed home in the yard.
    I know it was bad timing that the mart was on at exactly the same time as ICBF update but there'll be war about it.

I thought there was some rule about the star rating at the first evaluation being the one that counted for scheme eligibility so ratings changing now would have no effect? I remember once seeing a few cows on my report as four stars but not eligible because they started off at three.

amens wrote: »
    I thought there was some rule about the star rating at the first evaluation being the one that counted for scheme eligibility so ratings changing now would have no effect? I remember once seeing a few cows on my report as four stars but not eligible because they started off at three.

That’s the case so long as those animals stay in your herd. Could drop to a 1* and still be eligible. But if you buy an animal it’s the star rating on that day

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

So a farmer could have had enough animals for the scheme yesterday morning and then the new figures put out yesterday could change their eligibility?

whelan2 wrote: »
    So a farmer could have had enough animals for the scheme yesterday morning and then the new figures put out yesterday could change their eligibility?

Nothing that was in their herd yesterday morning will have changed but if they went to the mart yesterday short one animal, bought a 4* heifer as it was up on the mart board, land home and the animal be a 3* at that stage and no good to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

893bet wrote: »
    Where did you do it? I didn’t think there was one for 2020?

It's online in icbf online, under services, bdgp, carbon navigator.

01 01 19 - 31 12 19

How do the calculate the star rating of bulls and cows/heifers?

I see some replacements we bought angus holstein cross heifers at €140 index values and then beefy heifers off dams with milk at €94. In theory this would see a calf performing better under the angus heifer initially but post weaning surely the beefier heifer is better?

On the bulls, surely how the bulls progeny kill out should drive the terminal index?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Hi, I do complete the cattle surveys on line, got a letter in the post the other day with the survey for a June born calf, I was wondering about filling it out as the calf isn't 5 months yet, so I rang ICBF and the lady told me to fill it in and send it back, that way I will be paid in December otherwise if I wait until the end of November to fill it in on line I wouldn't be paid unit January, so if any of ye got them fill them in and send them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Hi, I do complete the cattle surveys on line, got a letter in the post the other day with the survey for a June born calf, I was wondering about filling it out as the calf isn't 5 months yet, so I rang ICBF and the lady told me to fill it in and send it back, that way I will be paid in December otherwise if I wait until the end of November to fill it in on line I wouldn't be paid unit January, so if any of ye got them fill them in and send them back.

I've never heard of ICBF sending out survey forms for animals under 5 months in all of the 6 years of the BDGP to be honest. Wonder will they be using the 'technical glitch' line now also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Got one aswell and already dumped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Got one here too and emailed them about it,they said it was just a reminder to fill in on line when the calves come to 5 mts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭50HX

Often happens that i get a survey in the post and it could be 2 weeks after filling it out online, going on with years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

50HX wrote: »
    Often happens that i get a survey in the post and it could be 2 weeks after filling it out online, going on with years

Same thing here this week for one calf, thought when you signed up on line it was to be filled on line, they are getting handy money for sending these out and processing the paperwork. A text or email would be more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Got the survey here too for a June born calf so logged into icbf to complete it but not available as too young so like you suggested I'll fill out the paper version and send off n hopefully get paid in December.
    Thanks for letting us know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

We will all be hopefully of money for Santa...

My dad has a heart attack when he gets these letters. Total waste of time and money sending them out

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

With the announcement that BDGP will go ahead in 2021, do ye think we will be stuck with the same reference number or is there a chance it could be updated to current numbers?

• Advertisement

Payment showing in amounts due in financial services

Advertisement