Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

ah ok.. ah was lucky got mine last year-back end

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wiggy123 wrote: »
    ah ok.. ah was lucky got mine last year-back end
    We got it then too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Had a 'cattle man' yesterday. He tried to buy a red angus cow that he saw from the road. She stands out from the rest apparently - the mad bit is that she just about has 1 star, is scraping on the very lowest of the scale, and was in a field of 4 and 5 stars. So much for looking at animals on paper! And the reason why I've kept her ..... I like her and have no intention of selling her! She will remain outstanding in her field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

KatyMac wrote:
    Had a 'cattle man' yesterday. He tried to buy a red angus cow that he saw from the road. She stands out from the rest apparently - the mad bit is that she just about has 1 star, is scraping on the very lowest of the scale, and was in a field of 4 and 5 stars. So much for looking at animals on paper! And the reason why I've kept her ..... I like her and have no intention of selling her! She will remain outstanding in her field.

Red angus normally high in stars. Know the feeling on herd mix..but at least 50 percent of 1 and 2 stars will allow us keep the right cattle to help make a living

red angus getting very popular with suckler men anyway.. unsure if Dairy folk taken up with them yet

• Advertisement

wiggy123 wrote:
    red angus getting very popular with suckler men anyway.. unsure if Dairy folk taken up with them yet

Yes suckler bull alright. Working well crossing either limo.
    Dairy boys near us won't touch them due to calving.

how would red angus be any different calving wise to the black? same genes more of less, just different color..no????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Got accepted into trench two, I have culled one cow after calving (bad leg) and put her calf on a cow that lost her calf at two months old.

I've one cow that died at calving and her calf died too.

And a cow that lay on her calf a few hours after calving. So I bought a calf and put it on her.

I have to return a form asking how many cows calved in 2017. Do I add these? Will I get payed on these cows? They did calve on my farm in 2017. I'm using 2017 as reference year.

so you 2 cows in question-have calves at foot...
    so if have a total of 40 cows, all with calves at foot... but them down..as those 40 all calved say this year!
    once keep records correct, with loss's etc..re knackery report/factory docket etc...

From my opinion all should be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Few down my way running red Angus bulls but calfs coming black unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I've used bovas red Angus bull lanigan deep red.

First Lady- black (2016 calf)
    2 red heifer calves
    2 red bull calves
    1 black bull calf
    1 brown speckle park looking heifer.
    All 2017 calves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

how would red angus be any different calving wise to the black? same genes more of less, just different color..no????

Red Angus tend to be big beefy Canadian/American types as opposed to the out and out easy calving that the dairy buys want

In dairy

wiggy123 wrote:

They are harder calving..don't know why..but so are a lot of Scottish bred bulls that are black.

odd that... wonder where red gene in them came from, limousin..
    agree--some of there bulls are hard calving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

odd that... wonder where red gene in them came from, limousin..
    agree--some of there bulls are hard calving
    It's a recessive gene, always there in the backround and only coming out when two copies of the red gene are found in a calf. One red and one black gene will throw black calves as black is dominant. It's a small bit more complicated than that but that's the general rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Bellview wrote: »
    In dairy

Yes ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I heard of a dairy man running a red angus bull with his friesan cows, is delighted with the quality of the calves. My red angus cow had a black heifer last year and a chocolate coloured heifer this. I plan on keeping both of them so am thinking there is a 50/50 chance that their offspring will come red. At this stage in my life I am experimenting a little, maybe I'll end up with an all red herd to pass on to my own daughters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Has anyone got results back for the cows that had to be tagged for genomic testing earlier in the year?

rushvalley wrote:
    Has anyone got results back for the cows that had to be tagged for genomic testing earlier in the year?

rushvalley wrote:

Only sire verified for me. Assume will be later in year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Bellview wrote: »
    Only sire verified for me. Assume will be later in year

Lately they come out in the next run, which will be September

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

rushvalley wrote: »

Just a letter to say I had the wrong sire for two of them:o. I was wondering why an angus heifer has horns, turns out she's a blonde! There's 4 feckin stars gone anyway....
    It will probably be the december run of results before you see the geno evaluation side by side with ebv, don't get too excited though, there isn't a huge difference so far anyway. Unless of course if you had the wrong sire too:(:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

blue5000 wrote: »
    rushvalley wrote: »

Just a letter to say I had the wrong sire for two of them:o. I was wondering why an angus heifer has horns, turns out she's a blonde! There's 4 feckin stars gone anyway....:(:(

Were they ones you bought in or did you make a mistake recording the sire

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sami23 wrote: »
    Were they ones you bought in made or did you make a mistake recording the sire

I make mistakes. Sometimes I swop a few cows in and out of groups and run with a different bull, especially towards the end of the breeding season. Then it's a guessing game at registration.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just a letter to say I had the wrong sire for two of them:o. I was wondering why an angus heifer has horns, turns out she's a blonde! There's 4 feckin stars gone anyway....
    It will probably be the december run of results before you see the geno evaluation side by side with ebv, don't get too excited though, there isn't a huge difference so far anyway. Unless of course if you had the wrong sire too:(:(

I have a 3 star heifer bordering 4 stars that I would like to enter into a 4/5 star heifer sale soon. I'm waiting on genomic results for her mother and hoping the stars might rise a wee bit.

See the 2016 carbon navigator is up on icbf now. To be filled in by the farmer this year not teagasc

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

whelan2 wrote: »
    See the 2016 carbon navigator is up on icbf now. To be filled in by the farmer this year not teagasc
    noticed that as well but was the one submitted by planner last year for 2015?

annubis wrote: »
    noticed that as well but was the one submitted by planner last year for 2015?
    Yes, I was talking to them today on another matter and asked them, was a very helpful girl I was talking to, last lad was desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

whelan2 wrote: »
    Yes, I was talking to them today on another matter and asked them, was a very helpful girl I was talking to, last lad was desperate.
    see it on mine too,when does it have to be done by??

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    see it on mine too,when does it have to be done by??
    Not sure, but it's easy enough done

Advertisement