Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

say has to be done asap--or else payment might be held up

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I did it last night when I seen it mentioned here , nothing too it , turn out dates for 16 and housing and fertiliser and fees used

true-is simple to fill in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You'd wonder why the advisor had to fill it in last year

money for old rope maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

So I put out 4 tonne of 18-6-12, how do I enter that?

just enter 4 ton.. or calculate it out-re cans--take the 18..is the percentage of nitrogen on it..so 18% of 4 tonne.....or am I wrong????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Guys, I have a few calves born this year and the sire was 'unknown'. Is there a penalty for this in the BDGP?
    I was almost sure of the sire for a few but put down unknown just to be sure. I'm about to register another calf, so that's why I want to check this.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Guys, I have a few calves born this year and the sire was 'unknown'. Is there a penalty for this in the BDGP?
    I was almost sure of the sire for a few but put down unknown just to be sure. I'm about to register another calf, so that's why I want to check this.

No idea about penalties but if you're pretty sure of the sire i'd put that down rather than leave it as 'unknown'.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

tanko wrote: »
    No idea about penalties but if you're pretty sure of the sire i'd put that down rather than leave it as 'unknown'.

Better to leave the Sire as Unknown than putting down a tag number that may prove to be incorrect in the 'long run'

• Advertisement

you not select them for the genomics testing then--give you idea of the sire then

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

wiggy123 wrote: »
    just enter 4 ton.. or calculate it out-re cans--take the 18..is the percentage of nitrogen on it..so 18% of 4 tonne.....or am I wrong????

18 units per bag, 20 bags per ton, 1440 units of N

oneten wrote: »
    18 units per bag, 20 bags per ton, 1440 units of N

Thanks for that.

The window asks for it in tonnes- so would 1440 units = 1.44 tonnes?

Thanks for that.

The window asks for it in tonnes- so would 1440 units = 1.44 tonnes?

No a UNIT is 1/100 of a CWT. So 100 units in a CWT. Now a CWT (Hundredweight ) is 50.8 Kgs.
    So one UNIT is 0.508 kgs.

A bag of 18.6.12 has 18x.508 = 9.1 kgs of Nitrogen.

https://www.fertilizer-assoc.ie/code-of-good-practice/nutrient-programme/

No a UNIT is 1/100 of a CWT. So 100 units in a CWT. Now a CWT (Hundredweight ) is 50.8 Kgs.
    So one UNIT is 0.508 kgs.

A bag of 18.6.12 has 18x.508 = 9.1 kgs of Nitrogen.

https://www.fertilizer-assoc.ie/code-of-good-practice/nutrient-programme/

Thanks for that Patsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Registered 2 calves about 10 days ago, got 2 dna kits in the post on Friday, they didnt waste any time sending them out. Took the hair samples this morning

Re - Carbon Navigator

Sorry guys But I think I may have given wrong advoice above. Well the advice was right, but it's not what they are looking for.

They don't want you to give the tonnage of Nitrogen used. They want to give the actual tonnage of CAN and UREA used. So if you used 4 tonne of CAN in 2016, you put down 4.0.
    If you used compund fertiliser like 18.6.12, you have to convert this to the equivalent in CAN. They give a formulae for this.

I'm filling my own Carbon Navigator in now, so that's how I spotted it. Deadline is 01 Nov 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Re - Carbon Navigator

Sorry guys But I think I may have given wrong advoice above. Well the advice was right, but it's not what they are looking for.

They don't want you to give the tonnage of Nitrogen used. They want to give the actual tonnage of CAN and UREA used. So if you used 4 tonne of CAN in 2016, you put down 4.0.
    If you used compund fertiliser like 18.6.12, you have to convert this to the equivalent in CAN. They give a formulae for this.

I'm filling my own Carbon Navigator in now, so that's how I spotted it. Deadline is 01 Nov 2017.

Where is the formula to convert Patsy?

Parishlad wrote: »

It's on the back of the front page of the letter that they sent me. I'm about to fill on-line now.

Only took 5 mins to do online, once I had all the figures from the form written in.

It's on the back of the front page of the letter that they sent me. I'm about to fill on-line now.

Only took 5 mins to do online, once I had all the figures from the form written in.

Cheers Patsy! Must go and find that letter!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

5 months of age minimum for sale.

If you can input the calf quality on icbf do you boys sell away ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

sonnybill wrote: »

Yes I have and I have had no problems. I have sold calves the day after I could input their docility/quality

sonnybill wrote: »

I booked bull calves for the mart only to realise that the youngest was still umder the 5 months. Only spotted it when it wouldnt allowo me fill in teh calf docility and quality on ICBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I booked bull calves for the mart only to realise that the youngest was still umder the 5 months. Only spotted it when it wouldnt allowo me fill in teh calf docility and quality on ICBF.

Yeah not worth it if you lost out on scheme for keeping one calf an extra 2 weeks!

I've a few to go for a neighbour but last heifer calf is Apr 26th born so 5 months sept 26th so should be fine

Any one have that text number handy for the limited access for ICBF.com without paying the e60 .. They gave it out on the bdgp 2 training day ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Parishlad wrote: »

divide by 27 and multiply by the number of units of N in the compound.

so 4 ton of 18-6-12 would be (4/27)x18= 2.67
    or
    6 ton of 10-10-20 would be (6/27)x10=2.22

divide by 27 and multiply by the number of units of N in the compound.

so 4 ton of 18-6-12 would be (4/27)x18= 2.67
    or
    6 ton of 10-10-20 would be (6/27)x10=2.22

Thanks for that! Will get it done now today to get it out of the way!

Met a neighbour today who had a query about the genomics scheme i couldnt answer.
    He has a cow that calved a few weeks ago but she is wild and dangerous and he wants to sell her and the calf asap.
    Can he do this without a penalty?
    He got into a bit of bother last year fior selling calves a few days before they were 5 months old and got a penalty. He was told that the penalties would be worse the next time.
    He has plenty of cows over his reference number.

Tanko, ringing ICBF might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

tanko wrote:
    Met a neighbour today who had a query about the genomics scheme i couldnt answer. He has a cow that calved a few weeks ago but she is wild and dangerous and he wants to sell her and the calf asap. Can he do this without a penalty? He got into a bit of bother last year fior selling calves a few days before they were 5 months old and got a penalty. He was told that the penalties would be worse the next time. He has plenty of cows over his reference number.

Had he more cows over the reference last year?
    If so why did he get in trouble

• Advertisement

jd06 wrote: »
    Had he more cows over the reference last year?
    If so why did he get in trouble

Im not sure how many cows he had last year, (he cant seem to go to a mart wirhout buying one or two tho).
    He says he got into trouble because he sold a few calves before they were five months old. He just forgot about that rule.
    I have one or two sets of twins here every year and always sell one of each set before theyre six weeks old.
    I dont think ive been penalised for this, i'd have plenty of extra cows calved over the reference number tho.

Edit, ive rang a couple of people about this and it appears that he will lose the payment on that calf if its sold before 5 months old. No problem if the cow is sold and calf kept tho.
    It also looks like im wrong about selling a twin and not getting a penalty but i dont remember being told of one.
    I'll have to check the paperwork in my '' filing cabinet''.
    The BDGP should be called the Beef Confusion Programme.

Advertisement