Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

tanko wrote: »
    Met a neighbour today who had a query about the genomics scheme i couldnt answer.
    He has a cow that calved a few weeks ago but she is wild and dangerous and he wants to sell her and the calf asap.
    Can he do this without a penalty?
    He got into a bit of bother last year fior selling calves a few days before they were 5 months old and got a penalty. He was told that the penalties would be worse the next time.
    He has plenty of cows over his reference number.

Please take out your Terms & Conditions and read them.

You Can sell the Dam the day after she calves down, especially if she's f**king mad.

Yes, as you know you have to hold on to your calves until they are 5 months and a day. You will Not get penalised if you do this.

Re - Carbon Navigator

Sorry guys But I think I may have given wrong advoice above. Well the advice was right, but it's not what they are looking for.

They don't want you to give the tonnage of Nitrogen used. They want to give the actual tonnage of CAN and UREA used. So if you used 4 tonne of CAN in 2016, you put down 4.0.
    If you used compund fertiliser like 18.6.12, you have to convert this to the equivalent in CAN. They give a formulae for this.

I'm filling my own Carbon Navigator in now, so that's how I spotted it. Deadline is 01 Nov 2017.

Carbon Navigator closing date is the 31st of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Carbon Navigator closing date is the 31st of this month.

Carbon Navigator deadline.
    Says 01-Nov-2017 on letter;

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Carbon Navigator deadline.
    Says 01-Nov-2017 on letter;
    Don't know what going on. Office in Portlaois told me the closing date ON THE PHONE, totally baffld by the Dept

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Got a reminder letter about mine and it says 1st of Nov too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Same thing. It's just giving the lads that are always late a day to put it in.

I have 33 cows as my reference year. Calving 30 this year with culls. I'm not going to brake myself to get 3 more as I have lovely heifers coming trough next year and I want to have a closed herd bar bulls. Will I get fined this year for missing 3 cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Same thing. It's just giving the lads that are always late a day to put it in.

I have 33 cows as my reference year. Calving 30 this year with culls. I'm not going to brake myself to get 3 more as I have lovely heifers coming trough next year and I want to have a closed herd bar bulls. Will I get fined this year for missing 3 cows?

No youll only get paid for 30 providing the 30 are done right.

And will it stay at 30 from now on or will it move back to 33 when I calve the extra heifers next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

And will it stay at 30 from now on or will it move back to 33 when I calve the extra heifers next year?

Youll get paid for. 33 the following year

As your reference figure is 33 you have to genotype 20 animals each year. Therefor once you have about 22 r 23 cows calvin down each year you'll have enough animals to cover the genotyping element of the BDgP

• Advertisement

As your reference figure is 33 you have to genotype 20 animals each year. Therefor once you have about 22 r 23 cows calvin down each year you'll have enough animals to cover the genotyping element of the BDgP
    Sorry should read once you have 22/23 cows in calf, you'll be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

There is not a whole lot wrong with this bull, just farmers failing to understand BDGP general usage criteria no?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/limousine-bull-28-months/16751824

Limousin Bull, good breeding Achile (CD 4.2% 99%), Hawk (CD 4.3% 99% rel, all round bull) & Gamin (CD 3.3% 99%), easy calving breeding.

Like he isn't setting the world alight but .... €1550

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There is not a whole lot wrong with this bull, just farmers failing to understand BDGP general usage criteria no?

Limousin Bull, good breeding Achile (CD 4.2% 99%), Hawk (CD 4.3% 99% rel, all round bull) & Gamin (CD 3.3% 99%), easy calving breeding.

He does qualify for the BDGP, on terminal anyway. Nothing wrong with his heifers if the dams had milk, say first cross dairy. i honestly think he's cheap at €1550.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

He does qualify for the BDGP, on terminal anyway. Nothing wrong with his heifers if the dams had milk, say first cross dairy. i honestly think he's cheap at €1550.

Plus on a high RI cow you're still grand to get replacements for the BDGP off of him....

He is good value for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Born may 15
    Only 4 calves registered by aug 17, yet he's keeping heifers ?

oneten wrote: »

Born may 15
    Only 4 calves registered by aug 17, yet he's keeping heifers ?
    if it sounds too good to be true it probably is,could be a fertility problem if that's the case????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

No length, shape, bone or anything appealing really. He might not seem as cheap the day your selling his offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

No length, shape, bone or anything appealing really. He might not seem as cheap the day your selling his offspring.

Couldn't agree more. Buying from figures and stars is a bit simplistic in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Couldn't agree more. Buying from figures and stars is a bit simplistic in my view.

Agree .. stars are as wrong as they are right...I just ignore them . But heifers i have now are off a low star bull so may suffer but they have milk so over half my herd will be off him.. if I miss final 50 percent rule .. I will jump that fence when I come to it ..buy a few yokes with stars and isolate them on an out farm so avoid Ibr etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Buying solely from figures is definitely simplistic anyway. If an animal doesn't look the part than the stars are a bit irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Buying solely from figures is definitely simplistic anyway. If an animal doesn't look the part than the stars are a bit irrelevant.

I agree 100%. But, there are plenty bulls out there that look the part and tick the BDGP box.

The figures are the figures, he has a easy calving pedigree and is General Use BDGP applicable.

The pictures are poorly taken of a bellyish bull. But that said I have seen bulls that look poor breeding really well and others that look super breeding like crap.

His Linears with ok reliability place him in the middle for muscle, function and docilty and he is in the bottom 30% for skeletal, not particularly dissimilar to FTY....

That said I have no intention of even making a phone call.

This fella looks like a screw and he is asking €2,100

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/bull/16292728

Edit: Not meaning to sound like a grumpy old fart of a keyboard warrior by the way, happy Friday

When should payment for this scheme land?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Grueller wrote: »
    When should payment for this scheme land?

Was Dec 15th last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Bdgp II tags coming out this week to be back by December 07th, tight window ... Will suit 90% of people in sheds etc.. Disaster as ones I've to do for the neighbour are dosed, bulleted and pour on just done and nicely settled on commonage .. Fecker to have to bring them down again to tag 3 animals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Is that for the BDGP 2?

Oh, i see it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭sonnybill

tanko wrote: »
    Is that for the BDGP 2?

Oh, i see it is.

It is indeed, I'm in the first one and find it great as all done n dusted in summer early when dosing calves etc and update few bits on icbf.

I put this mans herd into it as I herd them but ball ache bringing those ones in now again

Got my tags yesterday. Good timeing as I was doing the cows for rota virus and boules and clipping today. Handy job but you wouldn't want to drop the sample pot. It's tiny and would be like a needle in a hay stack if dropped.

When would I expect payment? I'm in trench two.

13th December tomorrow. This landed for some last year on 15 December. I had an issue last year and didn't get it til March. Has there been any announcement from the dept?

• Advertisement

Showing in amounts due today����

Advertisement