Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exaggeration

Options
  • 15-12-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been thinking about harsh tribal and cultural customs lately and was wondering if there is any solid evidence that the Spartans really did leave babies out in the woods as a survival test?. I realise that there can be a lot of embellishment and exaggeration in historical accounts but is there any reliable information or archaeological proof of this?.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Spartan state would filter on newborns and then at various ages (after been taken from their mothers) to test their survivial skills.

I've need to check some of the secondary sources on this (offhand this would be Victor Davis Hanson, Paul Cartredge) but from what I remember from my course the Spartans had a eugenics policy for its future citizen soldiers, the homini. If the child was defective in some way as per an examination by the elders it was felt to be both a burden to society and more importantly incompatible to operate as a Hoplite. This demanded a high level of fitness to fight and bear the hoplite armour. That and surrounded by 1000s of helots who would interpret a weak Spartan as a chink in their ideological armour of superiority would mean that it was not an exaggeration.

Advertisement