Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

FCUK OFF EA Collectors Edition Sans Game

Damn I want that just for the hanky, I mean cloth poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

In defence of the collectors editions, those who're getting it would probably be big fans and not want to wait for the game.

Options would be having this edition lacking the game so someone can either get the game digitally (possibly cheaper elsewhere) or buying the standard edition in store. They could have a key emailed out or given on a receipt in store but personally think this is simplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I just think that this is extremely greedy. I've bought CE's before, with statues and other accoutrements, and the full game, for less than what EA are asking. If it's for people who just want the physical items, and the digital version of the game, then through the download key into the box. Or just sell the CE items separately. The one thing everyone would want from that CE is the statue, if your into CE's. The playing cards, pigeon letter thingy, patch and fancy snot rag not so much demand I'd say. Plus, it comes with a steelbook case. Why include that if your not including the game itself? Call me old fashioned, but I think this is just a cynical money grab by EA.

How many unsuspecting people will be caught out by this too. They shouldn't as it says Does Not Include Game, but you know there will be people caught out by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I just think that this is extremely greedy. I've bought CE's before, with statues and other accoutrements, and the full game, for less than what EA are asking. If it's for people who just want the physical items, and the digital version of the game, then through the download key into the box. Or just sell the CE items separately. The one thing everyone would want from that CE is the statue, if your into CE's. The playing cards, pigeon letter thingy, patch and fancy snot rag not so much demand I'd say. Plus, it comes with a steelbook case. Why include that if your not including the game itself? Call me old fashioned, but I think this is just a cynical money grab by EA.

How many unsuspecting people will be caught out by this too. They shouldn't as it says Does Not Include Game, but you know there will be people caught out by this.

It is actually a common requested for Collectors Editions. Collectors Editions are only collectible if you don't open them. But if the game is inside the box then you can't play it.Many collectors have to go and buy a second copy of the game. This just gives an extra option.

Buy the stand alone game, buy the CE without game, buy the CE with game bundle.

I don't see the problem with giving people a choice, Battlefield certainly isn't the first game to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

'fancy snot rag'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

It looks great. It has to be good, right? It will be the first time I've paid full price for a game on xbox, trying to get my head about buying the deluxe, 80e waaaat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

New Gamescom Trailer :)

• Advertisement

Open Beta starts the 31st of August. Probably the 30th for Insiders. Will be on the desert map in the video above. Conquest & Rush modes will be available.

"Rush. A 24-player mode where the Attacking force must find and destroy the Defending force's Telegraph Posts, which can be used to call in artillery strikes. The Defenders can deny the Attackers their mission by disarming explosives they plant on the telegraph positions. Should the Telegraph Posts be destroyed, the Defenders must fall back to the next sector and protect the Telegraph Posts there."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

has anyone here got an invite yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Open Beta starts the 31st of August. Probably the 30th for Insiders. Will be on the desert map in the video above. Conquest & Rush modes will be available.

"Rush. A 24-player mode where the Attacking force must find and destroy the Defending force's Telegraph Posts, which can be used to call in artillery strikes. The Defenders can deny the Attackers their mission by disarming explosives they plant on the telegraph positions. Should the Telegraph Posts be destroyed, the Defenders must fall back to the next sector and protect the Telegraph Posts there."

You do realise your explaining how Rush works to a battlefield thread.

I've seen people level 100+ "attempt" to play conquest in the last few weeks and the results are shocking.

I'd say let him explain.

600 hours and I played rush once

Lolz. More so pointing out the new fun spin the put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

IvoryTower wrote: »

It's was good on hardcore on BF4 but the last few times I played it most people on my team were noob snipers taking advantage of the one shot sniper kills. And some fúckers using mortars on the mcoms killing friend and foe alike. I never played BF3 but I've seen videos of rush from that game and by all accounts the developers got rush right. Apparently BF4 rush wasn't nearly as good which makes me really regret giving CoD one more chance with MW3 when my rightful place was on battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

IvoryTower wrote: »

Fail... even to not try it is seriously sad

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Don't see why Rush has been reduced to 24 players. Pointless, why not lock it at 32 players so to ensure that PC players, who play it at 64 and then criticise it, have to play it as it was meant to be.

24 players is too few... If 6 are in a vehicle there are only 6 other attackers. 32 is perfect.

I dunno, with conquest changing and the game being even faster for a war which was slower I am thinking they have sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

GerB40 wrote: »
    It's was good on hardcore on BF4 but the last few times I played it most people on my team were noob snipers taking advantage of the one shot sniper kills. And some fúckers using mortars on the mcoms killing friend and foe alike. I never played BF3 but I've seen videos of rush from that game and by all accounts the developers got rush right. Apparently BF4 rush wasn't nearly as good which makes me really regret giving CoD one more chance with MW3 when my rightful place was on battlefield.

Rush on BF3 was mixed.

It was best on bad company 2

but bad company 2 initially made maps either for Rush or Conquest only (only DLC put out the other versions of some maps) So pretty much all the initial Rush maps were amazing and the DLC ones were solid because some serious time was spent on making each mode work with the map.

while BF3 had some maps that were clearly designed for rush (Damavad peak with that Cliff jump halfway was a thing of beauty) but had also been adjusted to also work for conquest which were not terrible. Terhan Highway I recall being much better in Rush then it was in conquest. Also Grand Bazaar was unique in that I think it was the only Rush map that kind of turned in on itself in terms of mcom placement.

The maps designed for conquest which had rush plopped in though varied massively and some were ok (caspian boarder) but others (operation firestorm and Kharg Island) were downright dreadful for the most part in rush.

Rush in BF4 never took off for me. I dont recall playing it much didnt see as many servers for rush online for quite some time. But I dont hate rush, just very few of the maps felt like any effort was made. I guess Paracel Storm had some idea, but it felt like after you got pass that insane opening segment it just got meh. I heard Dawnbreaker was much better in rush then it was in conquest but it rarely popped up. Shanghai was dreadful until they patched it heavily to make it work.

Rush in BF4 was much more prone to spammy bottlenecks.

Also 64 player rush servers were much more common which turned into hogp*ssup fairly quickly

• Advertisement

Fail... even to not try it is seriously sad

i know man, what a sad bastard

to make it worse, I barely even played conquest, saddest person ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Whats the skill curve for this series like?

FWIW: I play COD (~1.0 KDR), Destiny (~1.5 KDR) and I'm decent at Overwatch

Is this one of these games I'd need to spend like 80 hours to even be able to survive 20 seconds?

Cormac... wrote: »

Is this one of these games I'd need to spend like 80 hours to even be able to survive 20 seconds?

Kills take a back-seat for Battlefield.

It's more than possible to top the team (even the game) with no kills whatsoever. I wouldn't say you need to spend 100's of hours to be able to withstand the game. Depending on how aggressive you are will usually decide that.

But to answer you question K/D/R-wise. This is the leaderboard from BF4 (It's from a while back but it does blanket the entire community so it's not the best representation) I'd say it's closer to just about 1 than anything.

15qptw3.jpg

Edit: Not wanting to slap a small section of the community, I'll allow the above statement to reference Rush and Conquest as opposed to the death-match because that is solely based off of Kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Cormac... wrote: »

its also worth noting that its not really a run around like a headless chicken and shoot stuff.

you have to be somewhat tactical.

also Delicious tags

I played mostly tdm, it's similar enough to cod etc only with more team play (if you have a squad). The movement is a lot slower and you can't run on walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I was hoping the map from the Alpha would be in the beta. Shame. Still looking forward to the beta though.

I was hoping the map from the Alpha would be in the beta. Shame. Still looking forward to the beta though.

I'm happy it isn't. A change of scenery for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Certain game modes and certain maps are quite similar to COD, like the map 'Locker' for example on any mode is a straight up shooter, but it's a hell of a lot more intense than COD. If you're a decent player in any FPS game you'll do well enough in maps like that straight off the bat.

The other wide open maps in the conventional 'Conquest' mode with full vehicle compliments - the biggest learning curve is just learning how the maps work, choke points, layouts, and all that. The actual mechanics of the game are pretty simple to grasp. People just usually pick a preferred class and stick with it for the most part. For me it's Engineer for anti-armour and anti-air capability.

Vehicle wise, learning to fly helicopters/jets well at this point would be a fairly challenging curve alright, but ground vehicles like tanks, armoured cars etc are easy to get a handle on.

The biggest curve is really just getting to know the maps and the ins and outs of them. If you're playing BF1 from release date I'd say you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just watched a chunk of the livestream there. new map reminds me a lot of the bf3 map that came in one of the expansions. Bander desert!

which is not a bad thing. I liked Bander desert enough (i think it was in the armoured kill expansion and was the best map in that expansion) a bf4 equivilent would be golmud railway

but it has one part of the map being a densely populated town part with a lot of destruction. Then big open space with an isolated flag away from everything else.

Train is not as impressive as airship but the wreck remains as cover on the tracks so thats cool. One thing I would have liked is if each carriage had inidividual hitpoints. So you could destroy the locamotive of the train but it could be still used as a fortified position and spawn point, or take out the back carriages one by one creating a series of little blocks of cover along the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was worried about the horses but they look great, really interested in the SP as part of it will have something to do with lawrence of arabia.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    j
    Train is not as impressive as airship but the wreck remains as cover on the tracks so thats cool. One thing I would have liked is if each carriage had inidividual hitpoints. So you could destroy the locamotive of the train but it could be still used as a fortified position and spawn point, or take out the back carriages one by one creating a series of little blocks of cover along the track.

Are you sure it doesn't, at one point in the livestreams it looked like the engine was blow out and the train was stationary with the rear ones still firing.

Advertisement