Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Played a game of Rush and had to leave after 5 minutes. I think two other people on the team were bothered to defend the objective whereas everyone else was either sniping on the side of the map or running around like headless chickens. Borderline unplayable.

Have had a bit more joy on Conquest but I seemed to be the only person throwing out medpacks or tactically playing.

It's the beta-syndrome and expected but f*ck it, it's still annoying.

Spotting just seems to be random.

Looking forward to the full game with actual teamwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Played a game of Rush and had to leave after 5 minutes. I think two other people on the team were bothered to defend the objective whereas everyone else was either sniping on the side of the map or running around like headless chickens. Borderline unplayable.

Have had a bit more joy on Conquest but I seemed to be the only person throwing out medpacks or tactically playing.

It's the beta-syndrome and expected but f*ck it, it's still annoying.

Spotting just seems to be random.

Looking forward to the full game with actual teamwork.

Well tanks and vehicles seem more geared to teamwork. Definitely wouldn't wanna be in one with some random. it can already be a little frustrating in battlefield 4. But this it will be a nightmare... Lone wolfs or rag tag crews are going to be seriously chewed up. coming up against well oiled teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Rush needs to tone down the tanks.

Seriously three heavy tanks spawning from the attacking side is a bit op and it's rare that the other team work together to take them out.
    If I'm defending I instantly go assault and lay mines to take them down asap but there's only so much one man can do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Finding planes a bit frustrating, thought I was ok with them in BF2/3/4 but maybe because I was using joystick, it's a lot trickier to get the manoeuvres in without afterburners :P and speed. Will take a lot of adjusting, I'd say they can be very beastly if you get skilled with em

Also odd not having helicopters in battlefield. I mean it makes sense due to the era obviously, I just noticed it's one noticeable change from all the other games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree that aircraft play a very minor role in the overall shift in the battlefield compared to conventional BF titles - which is obviously entirely historically accurate to the era, I think in BF1 it's more about the thrill of engaging in dogfights or serving as gunner in an open air primitive aircraft, but it doesn't add much to the ground war. I don't think I've been killed more than once or twice by an aircraft in my entire time playing the beta.

The bomber can be lethal though in fairness, less so via bombing but by that destructive front mounted cannon which tears infantry asunder, but it seems to be very underused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Beta's is just about being the biggest asshole you can and wrecking as much as you can to get the high score....its the equivalent to a games stag do.

The main game will be alot better teamwork wise as peeps will be after badges for reviving and ammo dropping etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played a good but today and meh its all a bit arcadey and well not very BF like at all.
    Not overly impressed at all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its funny, I really DIDNT like Battlefront even though the setting was awesome, but I am really enjoying this. I think it feels arcade because its not Hardcore. Its definitely very forgiving as you can basically leave a fight and run off to heal, on HC you will be dead, so that will change the dynamic a lot. Again with the planes, they will have a much greater effect if they basically only have to hit you once :)

Lately the planes have been much more effective and its clear people are getting better skilled at that. Until yesterday I had largely been ignoring them as irrelevant but yesterday my tank got bombed a number of times and I wasn't impressed :)
    Planes are now a counter dynamic, they will counter tanks and fighters will counter bombers and then fighters will counter fighters. Whoever is winning the war in the skies, their side will get to have more tanks. Tanks (ie: any armoured vehicle) are the winning factor here. Being fast means they are mobile enough to take objectives, they are effective when they get there (for the slower ones) and they are quick to cap because of the numbers in them. Infantry is obviously the backbone of the army but this game is a very tank-oriented game and planes are the counter to them imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Dcully wrote: »
    Played a good but today and meh its all a bit arcadey and well not very BF like at all.
    Not overly impressed at all.

Yep.... The cheesy bayonet charge is the icing on the cake.

A teamwork game which is now only run n gun, snipers and light tank play. All individual

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you play as a team, you will DECIMATE the opposition.

My gang and I have been playing on a 5 way Skype call most nights this week. Zzoll, OttovonBismark, Sokti, Devore and Strontium70 , (you may have seen us around :)).

We have consistently been at the top of the table because we are playing as a team, with medics, resupply etc. We coordinate attacks, use smoke, pincer and flank etc etc. If the whole team was coordinating like that, it wouldn't be funny. It would be a horror show to be on the other side. But pickup games are ALWAYS going to be a bunch of nubs running around trying to build a personal score and are always going to be horrible to play in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yep.... The cheesy bayonet charge is the icing on the cake.

A teamwork game which is now only run n gun, snipers and light tank play. All individual

Calling this a run and gun game after the travesty that was BF4 is a bit of a joke.

It is a beta and the devs already said the light tank is going to be nerfed by launch.

It's not like BF4 is going anywhere. If you prefer that, play that. I always felt BF4 was a mistake as it wasn't different enough from BF3 to warrant a new release. They should have done BF1 last time around, then back to modern combat then maybe WW2.

I don't understand why the term arcadey is being thrown around in relation to BF1. There have been no games anything like BF in Arcade history. The majority of the younger generation don't even know what an arcade is. BF4 was far more "arcadey" than BF1. Tons of lock on, 0 skill weapons. Air combat was a joke. Infantry combat was who started spraying full auto first at almost any range.

If you are the kind of battlefield player who liked maps like operation metro and locker then you aren't a battlefield fan. You're a call of duty fan. You just bought the wrong game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

BloodBath wrote: »
    Calling this a run and gun game after the travesty that was BF4 is a bit of a joke.

It is a beta and the devs already said the light tank is going to be nerfed by launch.

It's not like BF4 is going anywhere. If you prefer that, play that. I always felt BF4 was a mistake as it wasn't different enough from BF3 to warrant a new release. They should have done BF1 last time around, then back to modern combat then maybe WW2.

Don't think it the mini tank needs to be nerfed at all myself. If your on a server and squads are working as a team you won't last long in any vehicle. I have had games where I went 43-6 in the MT because there was no teamwork trying to take me out and I was able to retreat and repair. I have also had games where I was not able to get a kill because a squad decided to use teamwork and take me out quickly. The mini tank and all the tanks for that matter are slow enough to be able to use teamwork and take them out or if your solo and observant being able to strike when they are damaged enough to get the kill on them.

On the basis of teamwork I had a game the other night, with the new unlimited time and first to 300 wins, where our team had the behemoth and are down 150-210 we managed to win 300-299 because nobody on the opposite team was taking the behemoth out. Both games where on the xb1. Those saying they need to be nerfed might not have the experience using them. I thought the AT rocket launcher was OP until I used it. Think that should have maybe 2 reloads instead of 3. Teamwork is OP :D

Don't think it the mini tank needs to be nerfed at all myself. If your on a server and squads are working as a team you won't last long in any vehicle. I have had games where I went 43-6 in the MT because there was no teamwork trying to take me out and I was able to retreat and repair. I have also had games where I was not able to get a kill because a squad decided to use teamwork and take me out quickly. The mini tank and all the tanks for that matter are slow enough to be able to use teamwork and take them out or if your solo and observant being able to strike when they are damaged enough to get the kill on them.

On the basis of teamwork I had a game the other night, with the new unlimited time and first to 300 wins, where our team had the behemoth and are down 150-210 we managed to win 300-299 because nobody on the opposite team was taking the behemoth out. Both games where on the xb1. Those saying they need to be nerfed might not have the experience using them. I thought the AT rocket launcher was OP until I used it. Think that should have maybe 2 reloads instead of 3. Teamwork is OP :D

It is a little on the strong side in fairness especially when you unlock the better gun. Granted it has feck all range but it will wreck anything near you. The smoke can help you escape out of many dodgey situations as well and you don't have to worry about choppers in this game. It's a very small target for the planes as well.

There are counter options in the game but it's still overturned and deserves a nerf. I don't think I've ever got the light tank and not got at least 10 kills in it. I have been wrecked a handful of times by a good squad coordinated attack though.

I forgot about the behemoth. In relation to people calling it arcadey, the behemoth and the horses are maybe a little "arcadey" if you want to call it that but they are also a lot of fun. If the enemy team gets the behemoth I make it my job to kill it. AT mines wreck it in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm rubbish at these types of games. I've stopped buying them because I'm a total waste of space on a virtual battlefield. But when I fired up this today I immediately captured two flags single-handedly, then I landed 3 kills and ran around about 60% of the map. Only then did I get killed. 15 minutes before I was taken down despite the place being absolutely hopping. There's something wrong there.

Also, the HUD and objective markers look really at odds with the setting although I appreciate there's no real way around that.

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I'm rubbish at these types of games. I've stopped buying them because I'm a total waste of space on a virtual battlefield. But when I fired up this today I immediately captured two flags single-handedly, then I landed 3 kills and ran around about 60% of the map. Only then did I get killed. 15 minutes before I was taken down despite the place being absolutely hopping. There's something wrong there.

Also, the HUD and objective markers look really at odds with the setting although I appreciate there's no real way around that.

Maybe try joining a server with 64 players in it? There are still a hell of a lot of new players who have no clue what's going on as well and the starting guns for most of the classes are awful compared to some of the unlocks. It is an open beta after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Maybe try joining a server with 64 players in it?

Perhaps, but that doesn't explain why I can take flak whilst running across a battlefield and not get taken down. Is that a deliberate design choice?

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Perhaps, but that doesn't explain why I can take flak whilst running across a battlefield and not get taken down. Is that a deliberate design choice?

I haven't had the same experience to be honest so I can't say. If I run around in the open it's not long before I get wrecked. I'm usually weaving in and out of buildings, flanking to cap flags with my squad. If I'm infantry I usually stick to the village area, only moving from there when we have all 3 points and a vehicle.

It is a little on the strong side in fairness especially when you unlock the better gun. Granted it has feck all range but it will wreck anything near you. The smoke can help you escape out of many dodgey situations as well and you don't have to worry about choppers in this game. It's a very small target for the planes as well.

There are counter options in the game but it's still overturned and deserves a nerf. I don't think I've ever got the light tank and not got at least 10 kills in it.

Its a tank! The present players in the beta are the cause of the high streaks in the MT. I have had games where players came up beside the MT looking like they wanted to pet it. If a squad uses teamwork it makes tanks useless!

People are saying its arcade because when you can pull out of a fight because its not going your way, it feels like you aren't really taking much risk. Infantry are bulletsponges for two reasons.
    1. Its Softcore settings on the server. When its hardcore things will feel a lot more perilous and less "mapcap run-around".

2. Its WW1 ....have you ever looked into their weapons? Accuracy isn't the first word that springs to mind. They were mostly spray and pray and that's reflected in the guns. There are very few that are semi auto and accurate at even medium range. I've unloaded clips of the trench gun at people without killing them because we were across the road from each other. That makes it feel "arcadey".

Add to these that the people playing it are new players to BF1 and if you approach this with the "its BF4 in a dress" mindset you are going to get *chewed*. This is a far more strategic game than BF4... and much less Infantry based. If you are infantry your job is to get flags from cover or get into a vehicle.

One last point, I've been ignoring Infantry who aren't at a objective or sniping. They aren't important and they are just a lose lose proposition. They either kill you (that's a lose right there!) or they waste your time when you could have been capping and scoring for your team, even if you kill them. Their team doesn't lose a ticket for their death, they just get an opportunity to teleport somewhere better and respec as a more appropriate class. That's a lose too. (Obviously if I'm in a tank and not driving, I can take pot shots at them for fun but still... mostly just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

There are counter options in the game but it's still overturned and deserves a nerf. I don't think I've ever got the light tank and not got at least 10 kills in it. I have been wrecked a handful of times by a good squad coordinated attack though.

The problem I've passed on as feedback is that the achilles heel to the light tank is not very clear.

The changes to repair in this BF are designed to make tanks actually more exposed (not less as some people think) because unlike previously when you repair in BF1 it is for a set period of time and the driver cannot move or shoot while repairing

compared to bf4 where one person can keep driving/firing while another player sits behind them drilling their arse.

This means a light tank when it has to repair, cant shoot or move. Meaning it cant do anything to a soldier running up and chucking dynamite/at grenade on it.

compared to the landship or A7V which both have gunners that can protect them while repairing, but both now have blindspots directly in front.

Repair also isnt cumulative like in bf4, the cycle has to complete to gain any health and any hits interrupt it. Hence why K-bullets are important. They're there to harass a tank trying to repair, less to outright kill it.

The problem though is we never know when a tank is repairing. There's no sign of it, if one was added then players will know when to strike. Which would greatly balance the light tank as players would peck at it until the tanker goes into a repair cycle and then an assault or 2 would bumrush it with AT grenades or dynamite.

• Advertisement

Yeah K-bullets is what killed the MT when I was on a 30-0 streak in it. Getting hit by a K bullet when I had full health in the tank got me down to 93 I did not repair and a few minutes later when I was down to 4 health got destroyed by a k bullet. If I had of repaired getting hit first I would have got to cover! Point is it was indirect teamwork that killed me there! The other team just had enough sense to observe and destroy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Still think that 2-3 dynamite should destroy any tank, if you are skilled/brave enough to run over to the tank you gotta be rewarded for the effort. The heavy tank with full dynamite kit and its only half destroyed or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I think the op part of the tank is they can repair from the inside whereas before you'd damage it enough the driver would have to hop out to repair it.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I think the op part of the tank is they can repair from the inside whereas before you'd damage it enough the driver would have to hop out to repair it.

Every vehicle can repair itself and players can heal!

Every vehicle can repair itself and players can heal!

Yes I know but we're talking about tanks here...

Try healing yourself after being hit by a tank shell...

Yes I know but we're talking about tanks here...

Try healing yourself after being hit by a tank shell...

Depends on how accurate the tank is. If he only damages you its possible to hide and heal. Highly unlikely but possible to some extent. I've had games were shells go off that should kill an attacker but don't and I get killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont think thats OP

Just to compare and contrast

BF4

-Tanks are repaired by the engineer class which are usually plentiful ingame

-All tanks have 2 crew slots at least

-Tank can remain active both moving and firing while being repaired

-Repair is cumulative, meaning I can do a small quick burst of repair and then hop back in

-Tanks heal themselves over time like infantry when not in combat

Conclusion: Tanks encourage a small amount of teamwork to remain active, but avoiding combat will repair without any effort.

BF1

-Tanks repair internally only by the driver, or repaired by another drive externally, drivers are rare as they spawn only with the vehicle

-Light tanks have only 1 slot for the driver, A7V and landship have multiple

-While repairing a tank cannot move or shoot

-Repair is not cumulative, its based on cycles, each cycle repairs the same amount of health and takes the same amount of time, even if repairing minor damage.

-Repair can be interrupted by any damage, including grenades (standard or anti tank) K bullets or other high calibur shots. An interrupted cycle gives no health to the tank

-Tanks do not heal themselves overtime in bf1

Conclusion: tanks encourage teamwork in the larger ones of crew covering the tank while it repairs much in the same manner as BF4, in the light tank it encourages disengaging to repair or teamwork from other players on the ground to cover the tank as it repairs

AS mentioned earlier I think good plane pilots will partially solve the tank problem as well.

The tank buster attack plane and bombers in the right hands should be wrecking tanks.

Bottom line imo tanks are not OP. Current players in the beta make them OP.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Just to compare and contrast

I see your point but from my experience it was easy enough to kill an engineer when he hopped out then forcing the driver to either hop out himself or stay in the tank as it exploded.

Just for the record, I don't think the tanks are op in BF1 I was just hinting at a reason why some people may find them that way.

Advertisement