Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Two lads with rockets guns destroy a tank in seconds. You could even add a sniper with K billets to shoot while the boys are reloading to stop it repairing . Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Had some good games there, think a few of you guys were on as well. wish there was a second damn map though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Had some good games there, think a few of you guys were on as well. wish there was a second damn map though!

I was just experimenting with support and other classes.. you were running riot in that last round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's getting a bit boring alright but absolutely love the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Beta finishes Thursday the 8th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Got a good 6 or 7 hours in yesterday, mainly Conquest.

I was on the fence as to whether to buy this or get COD for the old school maps and nostalgia, I'll be sticking with BF1 anyway.

What I found out rather quickly is I cant operate a plane and wont be going near one on release. :o

We won a few games because nobody was taking out the train, I spent a good 10-15mins in the train just mowing down people on 2 or 3 rounds.

For every game where there was team work there was maybe 4 or 5 games were people just went off and done their own thing, mainly sniping.

I went through pretty much all the classes a few times over to get a feel for it, this is my first Battlefield since BF4 and I enjoyed it, will be a day one or week one purchase I'd say from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bottom line imo tanks are not OP. Current players in the beta make them OP.

I agree, they're easy to take down if people work together but they are quite terrifying, which captures the historical aspect quite nicely.

The light tank is definitely my favorite, last night I got a 50-2 k/d using one the entire game, including taking out several heavy tanks that were poorly used. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

The light tank is definitely my favorite, last night I got a 50-2 k/d using one the entire game, including taking out several heavy tanks that were poorly used. :eek:

LT is already getting nerfed before launch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its mental, I had a game last night on PS4 had a score of 54,000 and a I never killed a player all round (half way through I copped it and tried not to then lol). The amount of points you get for taking flags is mental.....no need to kill really lol.

Also I hope they make the ranking up harder, I am on rank 49 or so in the beta so its too fast......hate playing the game a month in at rank 100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

If you ever play World of Tanks at all you will always savage the land ships and heavy tanks with a light tank even if they have a good crew.

Go right up to their side, rear or have them drive over you so can't aim down and hit you, they have no cannons on rear or side rear and obviously don't rotate so it's an incredibly easy mutil kill.

Only thing they can do is hop out to try and nade you at which point you kill them and give your team a free enemy tank :)

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Also I hope they make the ranking up harder, I am on rank 49 or so in the beta so its too fast......hate playing the game a month in at rank 100.

That's the Battlefield way. You will get to 60 or 70 pretty quick but then the points requirement after that to progress for each rank become VERY large

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, getting to 50 is basically the tutorial hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its mental, I had a game last night on PS4 had a score of 54,000 and a I never killed a player all round (half way through I copped it and tried not to then lol). The amount of points you get for taking flags is mental.....no need to kill really lol.

It'll be much harder for release I'd say. Beta's are supposed to iron out the stuff they are not sure of so they will be more towards the extreme in order to collect the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Today was the first time I actually saw the dust storm roll right in over me as I was chasing down an enemy cavalry unit in the space between Flags D and E. It was truly amazing to see him ride straight in and just disappear, then just to chase a faint silhouette right into the barrel of Mr.Tank Killer.

I've been in games with the dust storm before but it always just "appeared" after I had respawned as I seem to spend the majority of my time and Flags C and F, kind of closed off from the open areas.

I really have to say it's moments like this that I absolutely love this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I figured the same about the ranking. It was a bit too easy but then I remembered BF4. Once you get a bit higher it goes nuts so not a huge deal. I'm sure it'll be the same.

Anyway decision is made that it's a day one purchase for me and quite possibly with the ultimate edition. That last part is still to be decided :P

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

A few points:

<> I think tanks are OP simply, as a guide, too many people are going 50-0 in them. Also you can barely get hold of one such is the demand. Maybe reduce repair levels, certainly fixable. Granted if there is teamwork etc etc they can be taken down but really, is there any teamwork in the beta (or BF1 perhaps?)

<> The assault anti tank grenade isnt great, is it? I just dont like the mechanics behind the throw, there is no weight to it - just feels off.

<> Grenade throws are equally poor, feels very much like SWBF as opposed to BF4. Feels like you a tossing an apple, just very arcadey

<> PLEASE have the mechanic to replace squad leader - why am i am just a disadvantage pointwise because the lame ass squad leader is a dope. It is so so annoying

<> When I am flying (PS4) and I am in 3rd person view and I press triangle to change weapon i go to first person automatically. Is that happening for others. Feels wierd. {I use veteran control system}

<> I love that the mini map has been toned down but i am finding it a little bit more difficult in some ways. It is way better but I get blindsided a lot more as it is hard to hear enemies which such noise in the game. No problem with this, just some 'obs'

<> I seriously hate the behemoth concept. Why should losers be rewarded... how will you feel losing a game to a team that got a crutch. If the argument is that it isn't such a crutch well why then have it... it takes 6 players off the battlefield in a vehicle which the enemy should ignore but instead makes it their intention to bruise it. It is completely broken and purely there for PR and marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

A few points:

<> I think tanks are OP simply, as a guide, too many people are going 50-0 in them. Also you can barely get hold of one such is the demand. Maybe reduce repair levels, certainly fixable. Granted if there is teamwork etc etc they can be taken down but really, is there any teamwork in the beta (or BF1 perhaps?)

I still think thats primarily a learning curve. I played it for the first time on xbox last night and my friends there who have been playing for ages didnt realize they could buy anti tank mines or AT rocket rifles for the assault. Too many people are thinking that tanks can be taken down the same way as in previous battlefields and not adapting.

Saying that as I already touched on I'd like some changes to make things clearer to players.
    <> The assault anti tank grenade isnt great, is it? I just dont like the mechanics behind the throw, there is no weight to it - just feels off.

<> Grenade throws are equally poor, feels very much like SWBF as opposed to BF4. Feels like you a tossing an apple, just very arcadey

most didnt feel much different to BF4 to me, if anything the assault at grenade feels heavier then all the other grenades which can be chucked quite some distance. I find the assault at grenade has much more of an arch and feels a bit floaty.

As for others, some can be chucked a fair distance (gas grenades) but flashbangs and smoke grenades were the same in bf4
    <> PLEASE have the mechanic to replace squad leader - why am i am just a disadvantage pointwise because the lame ass squad leader is a dope. It is so so annoying

I fully expect that to be a feature, its one of the more common complaints I've seen.
    <> When I am flying (PS4) and I am in 3rd person view and I press triangle to change weapon i go to first person automatically. Is that happening for others. Feels wierd. {I use veteran control system}

get that in pc too, I also find it annoying, mostly because in the cockpit the engine is a hell of a lot louder.

<> I seriously hate the behemoth concept. Why should losers be rewarded... how will you feel losing a game to a team that got a crutch. If the argument is that it isn't such a crutch well why then have it... it takes 6 players off the battlefield in a vehicle which the enemy should ignore but instead makes it their intention to bruise it. It is completely broken and purely there for PR and marketing purposes.

Prior to the timer removed I found the behemoth to really only come into play when a team was getting proper trounced and to me it felt more like a feature to spice up a match that for both sides would have gotten very blah if it was one side being steamrolled by another.

But with the timer removed it shows up now on most matches regardless of how big the score difference is and tends to have a much bigger impact.

overall I havnt found it to be enough to turn the game completely but without the timer it has more often then not brought the losing team back into competitive range.

So I dont think its a big crutch, but a dynamic to shake things up, it still comes down to the team to take advantage of that shake up, I'm still on the sidelines if I like it or not, I find the train to be a very poor representation as I imagine the airship and battleship will have a more profound impact, train feels too limited.

I think it shakes things up enough to keep matches interesting, but I am worried with the timer removed it may annoy some people more when a match is already intense enough that it really doesnt need to show up and mess the balance up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Is this more CPU heavy than GPU , my 8350 seems to be getting quite hot , more so than playing Elite . My R9 290 has no problems with it though .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have always found the BF series to give both a really good work out TBH, the series is very CPU intensive.

• Advertisement

Most people think the train is OP as hell as well. People saying they spend 15 minutes in it when it spawns.

My games the train is usually destroyed within 3 minutes thanks to an organised squad hitting it with rockets, artillery, air and land mines.

Tanks are the exact same, any remote bit of coordination and tanks are blown up faster than a jeep full of sticky stuff :)

Speaking of which jihad jeeping tanks in this beta most definitely gets you VERY salty messages :):)

I saw one guy sneakily ram a tank out of bounds using the armoured car in one match.

It was at C, its out of bounds just a small bit north of it and he just pushed the light tank out there.

No that's how you see it. I see it as a mechanic for keeping servers alive and an excellent one at that.

Think about it your team is thrash what do you usually do? Quit server and find a new game. Now at least if your "skilled" you can get some payback while waiting for the skill balance on the new round. And if your "unskilled" you have a chance to also get some payback.

It might take 6 players off the battlefield but those 6 players roll into a flag and even if there is 3 opposing players the flag still gets capped, meaning new spawn points for your team, meaning game keeps flowing because spawn rapes are boring on both sides .

Only downside is the Zeppelin doesn't capture flags

Only downside is the Zeppelin doesn't capture flags

I think the trade off is that it'll be able to move over and bomb any location, unlike the train which can cap but is restricted to a track.

Battleship I imagine will boast the best range and firepower of the lot but be the most restricted in terms of capping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Battlefield: Bad Company the movie :D

Compare the train to the ac-130. I think the novelty of it will wear out when those players are getting trashed continuously! Maybe it should be a skill based armour rating for the train for the players on it vs the skill of the attackers. Be a challenge taking it out every time. Just look at the xbox clip posted on the previous page 196-88 obvious lack of skill on the other team and the poor feckers lost the train probably 2 minutes into it spawning in. From release it will only get shorter no train no gain!

Even if the train didn't take damage easily that still leaves the team that's leading with 4 flags and the team behind with 2 or 3 if they are a good enough team it would stand to reason that they can hold onto the 4 flags easier than the 5 or 6 they had been holding to make the train spawn. The train spawning will give the losing team a boost to attack more aggressively while upping the tempo for the better team and making defending more challenging.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Battlefield: Bad Company the movie :D

Isn't that the actor Trevor out of GTA was modelled on? WTF just picks up a block of gold with one hand, Eh, cornflakes box block of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Isn't that the actor Trevor out of GTA was modelled on? WTF just picks up a block of gold with one hand, Eh, cornflakes box block of gold.

That's Trevor indeed :D

I mean they're only 12kg, you even lift bro? :rolleyes:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    That's Trevor indeed :D

I mean they're only 12kg, you even lift bro? :rolleyes:

only 16 fl oz.

• Advertisement

Compare the train to the ac-130. I think the novelty of it will wear out when those players are getting trashed continuously! Maybe it should be a skill based armour rating for the train for the players on it vs the skill of the attackers. Be a challenge taking it out every time. Just look at the xbox clip posted on the previous page 196-88 obvious lack of skill on the other team and the poor feckers lost the train probably 2 minutes into it spawning in. From release it will only get shorter no train no gain!

I dont know, I'd say the simple fact the train is able to cap points will always put it above the ac 130, I'd be worried for the airship and battleship more.

The ac 130 and the bomber in bf4 and commander mode etc all become elements people ignore or bored off because they dont cap and while they can deliver hell of a lot of firepower it comes with a lot of caveats (set movement or limited window of use) and hard counters that can be easily enforced by 1-3 players

Advertisement