Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I dont know, I'd say the simple fact the train is able to cap points will always put it above the ac 130, I'd be worried for the airship and battleship more.

The ac 130 and the bomber in bf4 and commander mode etc all become elements people ignore or bored off because they dont cap and while they can deliver hell of a lot of firepower it comes with a lot of caveats (set movement or limited window of use) and hard counters that can be easily enforced by 1-3 players

Comparing to how easy it is to get kills from in a jet which is what players would be looking for taking the Train out quickly. Train can only hold maybe 2 flags at a time though if the third is quickly taken by the well co-ordinated team. If your ahead and the train only holds those three flags without it been destroyed there is no way for the other team to win if you manage to hold those 4 flags for the rest of the match! If your ahead by a lot you can hold 3 flags and still win!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Comparing to how easy it is to get kills from in a jet which is what players would be looking for taking the Train out quickly. Train can only hold maybe 2 flags at a time though if the third is quickly taken by the well co-ordinated team. If your ahead and the train only holds those three flags without it been destroyed there is no way for the other team to win if you manage to hold those 4 flags for the rest of the match! If your ahead by a lot you can hold 3 flags and still win!

I dont disagree, the train can be destroyed and held back easily and locking down the 4 remaining points can win someone the game, it can also be focused down.

But its not going to go the way of the ac 130 or bomber in bf3/4 which were a few months after release ignored by most of the player base and mostly used by players either trying to complete assignments or are new/dicking around. This is because honestly you couldnt play the objective really using, they just gave you *wow* kills and then you are taken out by a fighter or stinger.

Like you said the novelty wore off.

But I think the train due to the fact that it can be used to play the objective and can form parts of actual assaults will keep it in use much longer then the others, I'd also argue that DICE will probably come down hard on any cheesing tactics on behemoths...at least for the first year or so.

They already nerfed AT mines over the period of the open beta vs the train.

Also

I love the entry animation for tanks

even when its not me

All this talk about the train being taking out....

Can the train be repaired by the tank class?

Dont know, never gone near it with a tank driver.

Perhaps its something I should try tonight

• Advertisement

You are able to climb onto it and be on it while its moving! Think if you go in between carriages you can mantle onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I'm already missing the game :'( my worries over automatic weapons were unfounded, the rifles are great. The lack of hand holding going on is a huge relief, no stupid lock-up weapons etc. I would like to see something done to encourage revives though. I ended up running with my Grenade Launcher because people kept speeding up the respawn timer. I like the idea of giving you extra time in the load out screen to adjust your gear, but a notification saying you don't want a revive would be nice.

I'd be very hesitant about any nerfs to the tanks before launch though, definitely not overpowered. As someone who loves vehicle combat, I hardly used the tank in BF1. Let's be honest, the hordes of new players flooding over to BF1 aren't great. They have little to no understanding of how to deal with armour and they refuse to swap kits after they die to fight back. The tanks are exceptionally vulnerable now, they can't repair while in combat and have no APS to soak up damage. I took out a Light Tank, solo, in about 2 seconds. Threw my 2 Anti Tank grenades, my light Anti Tank grenade and hit it with an At Rocket. He didn't even have time to react.

To me, the main problem is the player base, not the game. Give it a month for people to become accustomed to armour and how to handle it, then nerf if necessary.

No XP boosts either please.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Dont know, never gone near it with a tank driver.

Perhaps its something I should try tonight

Beta is over. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

wtf? Already? I thought it was the end of the day. NOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted a last proper run today. ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Noxin wrote: »
    wtf? Already? I thought it was the end of the day. NOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted a last proper run today. ffs.

The update yesterday was supposed to unlock everything available for the last 24 hours of the beta which would have ended it tonight around 6 or 7 apparently they must have meant 12.

• Advertisement

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    The update yesterday was supposed to unlock everything available for the last 24 hours of the beta which would have ended it tonight around 6 or 7 apparently they must have meant 12.

Sucks a$$balls. Wanted to test out some of the weapons I didn't get around to today. Boo :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Noxin wrote: »
    Sucks a$$balls. Wanted to test out some of the weapons I didn't get around to today. Boo :mad:

Ya I'm gutted. There were so many new options, didn't get to test half of them - was spoiled for choice when they were all unlocked..

I lost out on 2 days of the beta due to internet outages and nights where I couldn't connect to the server!!

Agh well, it'll be day-1 purchase from me anyways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Does the beta ranking and unlocks we earned carry over to the full game? I assume so yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Damn was hoping to get a game tonight, had everything unlocked due the glitch on the Bf1 website.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

jayo26 wrote: »
    Does the beta ranking and unlocks we earned carry over to the full game? I assume so yeh?

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

Akkk fook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

jayo26 wrote: »

No. The unlocks come crazy quick anyway, doesn't make much difference.

Yea I'm glad nothing carries over from the beta. It shouldn't.

And unlocking will be much easier on release as I'm sure they will have ironed out that stupid bug that stopped progress.

shame beta is closed. My last game was sadly ruined by a hacker

but my last video is all about the airplanes. Once I completely redid the controls so it was more in line with War Thunder I had a blast on the fighter

I had a lot of fun with the fighters once I shifted yaw to the mouse and put roll on the keyboard and moved the pitch keys so they were in easy reach of my left hand. Means I could pull of split S with ease and dogfight solidly.

Still not quite the level of air combat I would want, but I did get a sense that a small bit of energy fighting is possible as you can dive pretty fast from high altitude which I found to be the best way to kill bombers.

One nice touch is because its an open cockpit your vision blurs a bit from a distance at speed, so when you are high up it's quite hard to spot planes, you have to look for a blurred shape moving against the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good man bumping planes is the bizzo....

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Good man bumping planes is the bizzo....

I dont bump that often. Its usually when people abandon midfight that you end up bumping because the target decelerates rapidly, losing almost all forward momentum.

But that first clip I had to keep because of the headshot when I got out of the wreckage and saw the little sh*t running away across the desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Is the beta over yet?

I keep getting "matchmaking timed out"

yes its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Would have been nice if they had extened the beta considering the servers were down for so long when it first started :/

Burgo wrote: »
    Would have been nice if they had extened the beta considering the servers were down for so long when it first started :/

I think they did.

it was open for 9 days (from 30th - end of 7th) which is an odd number, usually its a week or a weekend

if you consider it a week then we got 2 days extra to account for the connecting issues on the first 2 days

Over, dafuq? Its still the 8th all day!

I'll do a write up on my final thoughts in time.

In the mean time check out this video battlenonsense did on the bf1 netcode its a strange beast. The best it ever can be in some areas and the worse in others:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Battlefield: Bad Company the movie :D

i'm all over that bad boy

I'll do a write up on my final thoughts in time.

In the mean time check out this video battlenonsense did on the bf1 netcode its a strange beast. The best it ever can be in some areas and the worse in others:

That's interesting!

I was playing on the Irish lowest ping servers on the beta and was still getting packet loss with a 6 - 9ms ping to the server I'm on 240mb Virgin. BF4 packet loss indicator is constantly on (xb1) Noticed packet loss a lot in the beta. Every time I'd check the scoreboard in the beta on pc I had the lowest ping in the whole game! Still have packet loss on a low ping connection should probably find the cause!

Anybody know where the Irish servers are located? Must do some ping tests to the server if it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I am on Virgin too and was getting pings around 10ms sometimes. That means (if its accurate) that the servers are on Virgins network in Ireland. It cant be in the UK because the ping time to anywhere in the UK is at least 25ms. It also cant be on another network on Ireland because the connection time though the INEX (Irish Neutral EXchange) is also about 20ms. So, that's my best guess... they are either in Virgin itself or in a data centre where Virgin are located in Ireland.

Advertisement