Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

DeVore wrote: »
    I am on Virgin too and was getting pings around 10ms sometimes. That means (if its accurate) that the servers are on Virgins network in Ireland. It cant be in the UK because the ping time to anywhere in the UK is at least 25ms. It also cant be on another network on Ireland because the connection time though the INEX (Irish Neutral EXchange) is also about 20ms. So, that's my best guess... they are either in Virgin itself or in a data centre where Virgin are located in Ireland.

My ping was 11ms and I'm with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I am on Virgin too and was getting pings around 10ms sometimes. That means (if its accurate) that the servers are on Virgins network in Ireland. It cant be in the UK because the ping time to anywhere in the UK is at least 25ms. It also cant be on another network on Ireland because the connection time though the INEX (Irish Neutral EXchange) is also about 20ms. So, that's my best guess... they are either in Virgin itself or in a data centre where Virgin are located in Ireland.

Data centre in Dublin? The lowest ping I ever got was 6ms to the closest server on a ping test. Some of the Beta servers were sometimes going 6 but mostly 7's, 8's and 9's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

EA have a DC in citywest, its in an eircom facility.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well either the INEX is a lot better then it was a few years ago (and I doubt that) or they must peer to each other in that datacentre. I suppose another possibility is that BF1 is telling porkies or is reporting something other than what we would consider "ping". Your first hop to your router usually take 6-10 ms ffs :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is my tracert to googles open dns 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.gtfo.nope.1

9ms to my router... Still, its possible if the servers are in that DC in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is my tracert to googles open dns 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.gtfo.nope.1

9ms to my router... Still, its possible if the servers are in that DC in Dublin.

The 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 addresses are Anycast, tracing them doesn't mean much. Trace to something in 74.125.81.0/24, which is the /24 they use for the Dublin ones.

I traced 74.125.81.0 and this is what I got.... interesting ping to the de-fra machine ... that cant be some Germany-France router could it? 9ms roundtrip says it must be on the island, I mean... physics still applies, right?! :)

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 15 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.nope.gtfo.1
    3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 109.255.255.254
    4 12 ms 14 ms 13 ms ie-dub01a-ra4-ae31-0.aorta.net [84.116.238.42]
    5 7 ms 8 ms 9 ms de-fra01a-ri2-xe-4-1-0.aorta.net [84.116.130.146]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

butting in over the nerd talk (sorry)

Survey about the beta here: https://t.co/ov5rHfCakb

Either give feedback or check it out just for some facepalm on features in the beta you didnt realise.

The artillery in Rush that everyone thought didnt work

well here's how they work

teammate spots enemy

you call for artillery on mcom

artillery shells where the enemy was spotted

*facepalm*

that was not clear at all during the game ffs and would have been really bloody useful against the Rush tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Either give feedback or check it out just for some facepalm on features in the .

My god that takes ages to complete.

Either give feedback or check it out just for some facepalm on features in the beta you didnt realise.

The artillery in Rush that everyone thought didnt work

well here's how they work

teammate spots enemy

you call for artillery on mcom

artillery shells where the enemy was spotted

*facepalm*

that was not clear at all during the game ffs and would have been really bloody useful against the Rush tanks.

Behemoth driver mortar, Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Yeah I remember it being mentioned in a levelcap video where he warned against drivers forgetting to drive (link below), but I only ever got to drive the train once and I didnt want to at the time so I hopped out of it fairly quickly to try one of the other cannons (I really enjoyed the AA cannon on the train).

I know since this video they nerfed the fighter rockets that they cant damage the train as I tried it numerous times on the last day (see my above fokker video)

Yeah I remember it being mentioned in a levelcap video where he warned against drivers forgetting to drive (link below), but I only ever got to drive the train once and I didnt want to at the time so I hopped out of it fairly quickly to try one of the other cannons (I really enjoyed the AA cannon on the train).

I know since this video they nerfed the fighter rockets that they cant damage the train as I tried it numerous times on the last day (see my above fokker video)

Some good info there! Didn't know you could see the ground when firing from that bomber. Thought it was a blind fire that would of been useful to in the beta.

Looks like you could damage or repair the train with the hammer/wrench (hrench??)

The Train was a points-piñata for my gang, whenever it came out we pretty much dropped what we were doing in a mad scramble to try to take it down. The problem we found with it is that its a massive score for the person who puts the final nail in the coffin but nothing for anyone else. I did about 3/4s of the damage to it on one occasion and someone "nicked" the kill at the end, they got well in excess of 1000 points and I got sweet FA... not even notification that it had been killed as far as I can recall. that doesn't encourage others to take part and is frankly weird when you think that they will divvy up the score from killing even one jarhead let alone a huge set piece like the train.

I've named it the "train of shame" too! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I traced 74.125.81.0 and this is what I got.... interesting ping to the de-fra machine ... that cant be some Germany-France router could it? 9ms roundtrip says it must be on the island, I mean... physics still applies, right?! :)

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 15 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.nope.gtfo.1
    3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 109.255.255.254
    4 12 ms 14 ms 13 ms ie-dub01a-ra4-ae31-0.aorta.net [84.116.238.42]
    5 7 ms 8 ms 9 ms de-fra01a-ri2-xe-4-1-0.aorta.net [84.116.130.146]

That's Frankfurt.

The Train was a points-piñata for my gang, whenever it came out we pretty much dropped what we were doing in a mad scramble to try to take it down. The problem we found with it is that its a massive score for the person who puts the final nail in the coffin but nothing for anyone else. I did about 3/4s of the damage to it on one occasion and someone "nicked" the kill at the end, they got well in excess of 1000 points and I got sweet FA... not even notification that it had been killed as far as I can recall. that doesn't encourage others to take part and is frankly weird when you think that they will divvy up the score from killing even one jarhead let alone a huge set piece like the train.

I've named it the "train of shame" too! :)

I think they patched it after a couple of days because I remember getting score from it after only damaging it the first time I laid like 12 AT mines on the tracks someone else took it out. The AT mines was the only damage I gave it and I remember thinking it was a nice assist score at the time. I May be wrong and just hadn't got a clue what happened when it got destroyed.

You definitely should get an assist score for kills after all no one player can take it out quickly. Even if you are lone gunning it some unprincipled opportunistic little runt could just swipe the kills from it when its down to little or no health after you put the effort into getting it down to low health. A shared score is fair! You get the damage score anyway. Wonder how much score you would get for damage and kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

You get the damage score anyway. Wonder how much score you would get for damage and kills.

I got just under 1.6K points altogether for a destroy I got while chasing it in the bomber. It was marked up as a X2 multi kill but I'm not sure how much of the points was influenced by the damage I caused to get the destroy before hand.

On a side note, points for damage is an absolute dream come true for me. I created a post on the Battlelog forums ages ago about putting in the Resistance 2 multiplayer scoring structure and quite a few people seemed to like it.

It's not the Resistance 2 style in BF1 but it's a much needed improvement from the current system in BF4 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Anybody know where the Irish servers are located? Must do some ping tests to the server if it's possible.

Its possible they were in the EA (formerly Bioware) call centre in Galway.

Its possible they were in the EA (formerly Bioware) call centre in Galway.

Pinging Galway gives 25ms. Servers were showing up as 6-9ms ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I assumed all servers nowadays are in Clonshaugh Dublin in the Amazon cluster.

The "cloud"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

No that's how you see it. I see it as a mechanic for keeping servers alive and an excellent one at that.

Think about it your team is thrash what do you usually do? Quit server and find a new game. Now at least if your "skilled" you can get some payback while waiting for the skill balance on the new round. And if your "unskilled" you have a chance to also get some payback.

It might take 6 players off the battlefield but those 6 players roll into a flag and even if there is 3 opposing players the flag still gets capped, meaning new spawn points for your team, meaning game keeps flowing because spawn rapes are boring on both sides .

Only downside is the Zeppelin doesn't capture flags

It is an artificial boost so pointless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

If anyone's buying a new AMD card , they're giving out €20 discount codes on Deluxe Edition BF1.. for the next month as far as I know..so essentially getting deluxe edition for cost of vanilla!

I missed out on the offer, but sent the crowd I bought the card from an email to see if they'll send me one!

Just a heads up in case anyone else is in a similar position!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I just bought a GTX series ffs, no chance nVidia would do it. Oh no some paragon in game credit or some ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

BF1 honestly seems "fairer", than its modern day counter parts. The reason I got turned off BF4 was the lock on tech and sniping. I know I know they are legit tactics but when translated into pure gameplay it can be annoying (in my opinion).

Sniping is rampant in this but does not seem as bad. What I love is that in conquest there seems to be genuine dividing lines of battle. Many an occasion there was heavy tactical fights of nearly 15-16 guys on my side vs what ever they had,slowly pushing up with a no mans land in the middle.

Yes tanks are OP but, they are tanks...they are meant to be OP. As always this game sings when played on a communicating team, with squads working hand in hand. Speaking of which, there is an active boards group for this yeah? Or will be when it comes out?

I'm curious how the scoring (you get little for personal kills and double for being on the winning side), will effect snipers. Having too many snipers on your team is going to murder YOUR scoring potential because you don't have enough people capping flags. I understand that snipers are picking off guys who would otherwise contest flags and yes they contribute that way but mobile always beats stationary in military tactics and I just don't think they are as useful as other troop types. This isn't going to stop the snipers of course, because they want to snipe but I can see big arguments on teams and ostracising of snipers for being selfish and not contributing to the team win.

Tanks should be OP but they should spawn less often perhaps. It doesn't feel like much of an achievement other than "satisfaction" to kill a tank because they will be right back in a few seconds. They should be events and require MORE teamwork to take down but when they do, they wont be back for 5 minutes (maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So they've re-tweaked Conquest.

Kills count towards team score again. They're also making changes to rush but no idea what.

Light tank getting nerfed and the horses too health wise.

Also making it easier for all classes to get anti-tank weapons earlier and Support is getting some sort of anti-tank gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Noxin wrote: »
    So they've re-tweaked Conquest.

Kills count towards team score again. They're also making changes to rush but no idea what.

Light tank getting nerfed and the horses too health wise.

Also making it easier for all classes to get anti-tank weapons earlier and Support is getting some sort of anti-tank gadget.

That's a shame. It will no doubt lead to further camping of snipers up in the hills now that their kills count towards the score in conquest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I just bought a GTX series ffs, no chance nVidia would do it. Oh no some paragon in game credit or some ****!

Going back to pc are we? :P

Advertisement