Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

jackfrags has quite a few details on single player. seems its dropped the first person camera at all times system (more in line with bad company) and the structure will be quite different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

really happy ive taken a few days off for this hon the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dunworth1 wrote: »
    really happy ive taken a few days off for this hon the 18th

Really happy I'm starting a new job just in time for this... I mean...****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

DeVore wrote: »
    Ok, that's interesting to know Nick, thanks. I am working on old information perhaps because a few years ago the major telcos were refusing to peer through the INEX and also INEX seemed severely underfunded. Are all the telcos now playing nice?
    I'm a little surprised the times through INEX are now that low, I would have thought that there was a base minimum given just simple physics and the resistance of copper/metal somewhere along the line.. but I take your word for it! :)

Scroll down in this web page to "Developing an Intuition for Latency"

https://www.igvita.com/2012/07/19/latency-the-new-web-performance-bottleneck/

There is an interactive map where you can see the theoretical maximum range for a signal sent over fiber. Center the circle over Dublin, set the fiber RTT to 10ms, and you will see what the theoretical max distance is before the laws of physics start kicking in.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

dont worry i'll play enough for both of us :P

• Advertisement

I was happy to get the call that I got a job I wanted yesterday. Then realised it started just before bf1 hits. So +1 I'll have money for the job.

-1 (depends on your point of view) I wont have the time to play it excessively.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I was happy to get the call that I got a job I wanted yesterday. Then realised it started just before bf1 hits. So +1 I'll have money for the job.

+1 it releases on a Friday? (Assuming you're talking about the "Actual launch")

-1 Showing up to work with eyes bloodshot to hell might not give the best first impression.

Joking aside, Congratulations on the job.

You can now pre-load all 42GB of BF1, on XB1 at least. Assume also on other platforms.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You can now pre-load all 42GB of BF1, on XB1 at least. Assume also on other platforms.

Not on PC at least, still says not till Oct 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So a bit like every working person on here then ? :P

Be grateful you got a job you wanted :D....I'm sure there are many on here in the same situation with job/no time...but in a job they don't like :P

• Advertisement

XtraFalcon wrote:
    -1 Showing up to work with eyes bloodshot to hell might not give the best first impression.

Basically me every morning anyway :<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

That trailer is amazing looking. I really feels like they are pushing single player here and I really hope they do a good job.

I know BF is about MP, but still, a good single player would be sweet. Would love a set amount of campaign for the basic game with a complete story, but then some extra maybe telling a different story on the DLC.

Signed up for Origin Access too. Had been meaning to for a while but the 10 hours early play made me go for it. €4pm is nothing and I can finally play BF3 now as well (yes I'm a scrub who only joined at BF4)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

DeVore wrote: »
    Ok, that's interesting to know Nick, thanks. I am working on old information perhaps because a few years ago the major telcos were refusing to peer through the INEX and also INEX seemed severely underfunded. Are all the telcos now playing nice?
    The larger eyeball networks have been at INEX since the start, and have mostly open peering policies. As for playing nice, the angst of the 1990s died a long time ago. Some companies have restrictive peering policies, but that's a matter for them to make their own decisions on.

INEX isn't underfunded, btw. It's run on a cost recovery basis.
    I'm a little surprised the times through INEX are now that low, I would have thought that there was a base minimum given just simple physics and the resistance of copper/metal somewhere along the line.. but I take your word for it! :)
    The majority of the inter-data-centre switching latency is related to the distances between data centres, in other words, the speed of light in fibre, which is ~2/3 the speed of light in a vacuum. It might sound pedantic to bring it up because this the speed of light is not a limiting factor in most walks of life, but INEX has about 160-170km of dark fibre around Dublin, which means that there are some network paths with latency differences which are large enough to show up on traceroute. E.g. on a 50km link, that's 0.5ms RTT, whereas switch-to-switch latency is about 1µs, or 1/500 of the latency of the inter-site link. That said, there has never been a situation in the past where latency through INEX has been more than 1-2ms. Sometimes, organisations' links into INEX can get congested, but this is not usually the case.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The larger eyeball networks have been at INEX since the start, and have mostly open peering policies. As for playing nice, the angst of the 1990s died a long time ago. Some companies have restrictive peering policies, but that's a matter for them to make their own decisions on.

INEX isn't underfunded, btw. It's run on a cost recovery basis.

The majority of the inter-data-centre switching latency is related to the distances between data centres, in other words, the speed of light in fibre, which is ~2/3 the speed of light in a vacuum. It might sound pedantic to bring it up because this the speed of light is not a limiting factor in most walks of life, but INEX has about 160-170km of dark fibre around Dublin, which means that there are some network paths with latency differences which are large enough to show up on traceroute. E.g. on a 50km link, that's 0.5ms RTT, whereas switch-to-switch latency is about 1µs, or 1/500 of the latency of the inter-site link. That said, there has never been a situation in the past where latency through INEX has been more than 1-2ms. Sometimes, organisations' links into INEX can get congested, but this is not usually the case.

Nick

Not at all pedantic details matter.

Not at all pedantic. Details matter.

Not at all pedantic details matter.

Like most people, I don't understand the exact details about banking interoperability protocols, or materials science, cement manufacturing processes, or fluid dynamics. Yet anyone can fly to Tokyo, stay in a modern hotel, stick their plastic bank card into an ATM and retrieve money with a reasonable expectation that the plane won't fall out of the sky, the hotel won't collapse, the bank card will still be readable after three years in a wallet and two trips through the washing machine, and that they'll be able to pay for their evening sushi with what the ATM spits out. I'm personally glad that people have spent the time making the pedantic details of all these things work and work incredibly well, even if I don't understand them myself. In that sense, they matter a great deal.

When latency stops mattering to gamers, please let me know.

Nick

Like most people, I don't understand the exact details about banking interoperability protocols, or materials science, cement manufacturing processes, or fluid dynamics. Yet anyone can fly to Tokyo, stay in a modern hotel, stick their plastic bank card into an ATM and retrieve money with a reasonable expectation that the plane won't fall out of the sky, the hotel won't collapse, the bank card will still be readable after three years in a wallet and two trips through the washing machine, and that they'll be able to pay for their evening sushi with what the ATM spits out. I'm personally glad that people have spent the time making the pedantic details of all these things work and work incredibly well, even if I don't understand them myself. In that sense, they matter a great deal.

When latency stops mattering to gamers, please let me know.

Nick

I wasn't being sarcastic. Ironic that an omission of a full stop might have caused a misinterpretation of that sentence.

"Not at all pedantic. Details matter"

I wasn't being sarcastic. Ironic that an omission of a full stop might have caused a misinterpretation of that sentence.

hm, yes, I think you might have proved your point :)

Screenshot from Amiens, has a very Seine Crossing feeling to it. (I am aware that they are both set in France)

krdvgh7qrkox.jpg

single player streaming starting in the next few minutes for anyone on

• Advertisement

single player streaming starting in the next few minutes for anyone on

Damn the way it just switches between characters as they die giving the little eulogy is pretty cool. Somber realism.

Jesus Christ the campaign looks unreal, goosebumps. A cinematic work of art!

Seriously if they can keep that standard up throughout the campaign then fair f*ck that will be a solid campaign. That looked much more on par with something you'd see at the climax of a campaign rather then the bloody prologue. Felt like someone condensed an entire COD campaign into one mission so hopefully full campaign will give something else to spice up the five stories.

I'm kind of hoping because they've broken it down into 5 unique story elements that it'll mean they'll go into much more with each ones unique elements (more open flying, more freedom for tank combat etc)

But they aint pulling punches in some areas. Those bits of text before hand where pretty gut punching

It was to be the war to end all wars

it ended nothing

though they may have had a few too many

Overall usual gameplay doesnt show anything new but the effort is commendable, especially when most of us are buying this for the multiplayer, I'll happily accept a single player that is simply well made.

It really does look really impressive, looking forward to spending a bit of time on the single player now instead of just doing it for the sake of it.

Delighted that we still have the health bar as it was a feature I loved in BF4's SP due to it being absent in BF3.

Looks amazing alright. Do the deaths trigger anyway regardless of how long you survive as that character be good if you could play out the events in a mission as a single character that'd be cool.

Looks amazing alright. Do the deaths trigger anyway regardless of how long you survive as that character be good if you could play out the events in a mission as a single character that'd be cool.

I'd imagine they die due to being overrun but it did say "You are not expected to survive". Could be seen as a challenge of sorts especially since the soldier at the end cinematic seems to be the same one in the opening.

Alrighty then :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

That console aiming lmfao.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    That console aiming lmfao.

I have my doubts whenever I see footage like that. Microsoft got a lot of hate at an event (Last year or year before). They had 'Xbox consoles' set up for people to play with then all of a sudden one of them crashed and displayed the message "Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to restart" (Now that could be an Xbox error message for all I know but it doesn't seem like it since I've gotten it before on my desktop) Now I'm not sure if controller support is there for BF1 but there were controllers and keyboards flying around at that multiplayer event back in June.

In saying that, it's possible the user just wasn't used to the console controller even at one point in the tank he was shooting at absolutely nothing, I'm guessing it was just heavily scripted to show off variety and to advance through the 'story'.

Advertisement