Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

EoinHef wrote: »
    If it had just been another modern day shooter like BF3 and 4 i wouldnt have bothered.

To be honest the whole "Modern day shooter" thing has almost been played out as much as World War 2. They can't really add anything new to the mix that would be seen as innovation in my eyes by repeating the cycle. (Levolution was nice, it crippled the FPS in-game for the first 6 months but still a nice touch) The only thing they could do would be to jump into the future with Battlefield 1943 but that would halt the breaks on that game for me immediately, BF1 throws a spanner into the works and it seems to have returned nicely for DICE.
    Currently on night work and im off the 21st so im gonna binge on it the first day and night,provided the servers hold up,and i dont get too drunk and fall asleep mid game!

Once played a game of Arma with lads that were fairly serious about it, chopper pilot feel asleep while flying while they were about 14 of them stacked in the back - They weren't pleased. If you feel yourself dozing off, record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

someone leaked most of the Runner campaign.

Its awful quality and the player is rubbish, but I clicked through it a bit, looks varied (horse riding, stealth etc) but the big concern is that the video is just over 47 minutes long and it looks to be the entire war story minus a chunk of the first mission.

So it might be safe to say the stories are each 60 minutes long roughly with the 10 minute prologue and a longer epilogue (dont know how long) so it's possibly a 6 hour single player campaign.

Link, but I honestly dont recommend it, I literally just clicked through to get a rough gauge at how long each mission is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiVSEGWMGQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    To be honest the whole "Modern day shooter" thing has almost been played out as much as World War 2. They can't really add anything new to the mix that would be seen as innovation in my eyes by repeating the cycle. (Levolution was nice, it crippled the FPS in-game for the first 6 months but still a nice touch) The only thing they could do would be to jump into the future with Battlefield 1943 but that would halt the breaks on that game for me immediately, BF1 throws a spanner into the works and it seems to have returned nicely for DICE.

Once played a game of Arma with lads that were fairly serious about it, chopper pilot feel asleep while flying while they were about 14 of them stacked in the back - They weren't pleased. If you feel yourself dozing off, record it.

Id agree the WW2 shooters have been overly saturated at times too,but to me its been long enough since ive played one that BF1 feels a bit fresher to me. Last one i played was Heroes and Generals which was ok but havent played that much of that in ages.

Ha,been in a few chopper accidents myself in Arma,a few self inflicted. Ive started streaming Warframe on Twitch the odd time so i might stream a bit of BF on friday so if,actually when,i do something stupid somebody may be watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The modern/futuristic shooter has been flogged to death for far longer than the WW2 genre was, really - the last WW2 full fledged Battlefield was 1942 and it's expansions (I don't really count Battlefield 1943), I think either now or the coming years would be a ripe for an excellent Battlefield 1944. I'm tired of modern shooters - if Battlefield 5 had been more of the same ala BF3 and BF4, I wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't buy it, but I'd definitely be far less enthused than I am for BF1 or would be for BF1944.
    Currently on night work and im off the 21st so im gonna binge on it the first day and night,provided the servers hold up,and i dont get too drunk and fall asleep mid game!

Same, I'm not gonna bother with the free 10 hours for early access, just binge on the game when it comes out - weekend cleared, and no plan except literally Battlefield 1 from 7pm Friday. Battlefield is great craic to play after a few cans (a few mind...not crashing through the door at 3am and fumbling with the power button on your PC to fire up the game).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ha,been in a few chopper accidents myself in Arma,a few self inflicted. Ive started streaming Warframe on Twitch the odd time so i might stream a bit of BF on friday so if,actually when,i do something stupid somebody may be watching.

13626506_10157150013245321_3878834101135325581_n.jpg?oh=ce2e27a63786e7c010cfa933a116ebf7&oe=586368F2

Newbie "yeah I can fly"
    Me "nope"

Its actually hard to do that in Arma.

EA announced they will be running all servers for Bf1. Wonder how limited the settings will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

I find it strange that everyone praises DICE for not choosing a world war 2 or modern shooter setting but then fails to observe that BF1 is more or less the same with mainly automatic guns, turbo speed soldiers, a rake of vehicles and essentially optics on guns.

I think you have been sucked in with the marketing.

Vietnam era would have been much better as we would have the above and choopers. Without choppers the game is kinda one dimensional with aeroplanea being too separate to ground forces.

We will see but I am not too excited.

Also why is that the ultimate edition is discounted even by a tenner to incentivise the purchase? 139e is pushing it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So close now. Stupid me organised a visit to the dentist tomorrow after work but still.... so close now :D
    At least this will be my reward when I get home. Can't wait for some sniper trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

'ang on??! Is it out tomorrow? Thought it was next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

EA access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

10 hours free on ea access

I find it strange that everyone praises DICE for not choosing a world war 2 or modern shooter setting but then fails to observe that BF1 is more or less the same with mainly automatic guns, turbo speed soldiers, a rake of vehicles and essentially optics on guns.

I think you have been sucked in with the marketing.

On the whole, playing Battlefield 1 may not be much like experiencing World War I, but its depiction of the weaponry comes closer than we expected, with a few typical videogame liberties.
    Turbo speed soliders? - I don't even understand what you mean by that, they run fast? The only time they feel faster to me is when they're running with a bayonet attached. Generally the equipment carried by WW1 Soliders would be lighter than modern ones so that could explain them running a lot faster, but again not entirely sure what you mean by that.

But if want to huff and puff slowly it on Sinai Desert from A Flag to E Flag, go for it.
    And on optics:

"The first experiments directed to give shooters optical aiming aids go back to the early 17th century. For centuries different optical aiming aids and primitive predecessors of telescopic sights were created that had practical or performance limitations.

The first documented telescopic rifle sight was invented between 1835 and 1840."

Another type of optical sight is the reflector (or "reflex") sight, a generally non-magnifying optical device that allows the user to look through a glass element and see a reflection of an illuminated aiming point or some other image superimposed on the field of view. These sights have been around for over 100 years and been used on all types of weapons and devices.

Reflector sights were first used as a weapon sight in German aircraft towards the end of World War I.

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    But if want to huff and puff slowly it on Sinai Desert from A Flag to E Flag, go for it.

I did that once. I don't recommend it. The game ended by the time I got there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Noice. I guesstimate a 1-2 hour download so will give me plenty of time to get some other things out of the way.
    Might just have a look around the single player tonight, depending on the time I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Anyone else having ea access tell them it's to early to play the trial yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Any problems in the trial. Thoughts compared to beta?! Have it here but before I eat into the 1.5 hours a day rations just seeing if there are major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

You should find the trial via xbox.com.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-IE/store/p/Battlefield%E2%84%A2-1/BWTTW53M5B98

Getting it will allow access. I had mine preloaded but needed this anyway.

Thanks Oscar that worked for me, I had it installed last week updated and away playing on single player so far, the weapons take getting used to, it's better then I expected the single player, hope to venture into the multiplayer tomorrow or Friday only 7 hours left of the trial all ready

Playable pigeon.
    Y4gIW6X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

played one game.

I had played st quentin scar at EGX. but the full version is nothing like that. I dont know if its because I joined a game late (behemoth had just spawned) or if its just scarred more in the full version then the alpha. But I dont think I've seen a battlefield map just look so destroyed before.

some early thoughts

- I really miss battlelog, the menus remain a cumbersome over stylised mess

- the ingame UI has gotten a bit of a spit shine since the beta.

- You forget easily how the weapons handle between the beta and now. I was firing off the medic's rifle like a madman before I remembered you needed to be a lot more patient with the rifles

- the grind is real. most gadgets are unlocked etc from the get go but in terms of weapons it looks like its a long playtime to earn a high enough rank to buy most of them

- I cant find where to buy vehicle loadouts or what loadouts are available.]

-Behemoth (or at least airship) has a tonne of health or just the lack of later kits for aircraft makes it much stronger, we didnt kill the one in my game up until the very last second and a few of us were pelting it for quite some time with AAA.

- Operations dont appear to be on the server browser, you have to matchmake for them.

- You have to play the first single player mission, the game throws into it right when you boot the first time

- The single player prologue mission can be ok, it also can be annoying as everything slows down when you are near death. Also if you are anywhere half decent you'll die to running out of ammo and having to suicide charge a flamethrower. It also tends to make bits of it feel floaty. Also I only played it once but there were times it was trying to feel epic with the music etc, but I was having none of it trying to crawl into some cover behind a tank wreck and the slow motion and the music and the shouting just didnt gel right.

- pretty

- really pretty

Got work tomorrow so wont be able to give it the full 10 hours until I get home tomorrow night. Will prob use the 10 hours up tomorrow and friday evening.

it seems the single player war story included is an hour long which matches my earlier thoughts on the game's length. So might give it a miss til the full release as suggested.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    played one game.
    The single player prologue mission can be ok, it also can be annoying as everything slows down when you are near death. Also if you are anywhere half decent you'll die to running out of ammo and having to suicide charge a flamethrower. It also tends to make bits of it feel floaty. Also I only played it once but there were times it was trying to feel epic with the music etc, but I was having none of it trying to crawl into some cover behind a tank wreck and the slow motion and the music and the shouting just didnt gel right.

Just a note on the slowing down that I'm gonna put in spoiler tags:
    The slowing down is only at the beginning where you are running through the first few characters. Their deaths are supposed to happen and the slowness is there for dramatic effect so to speak.
    I actually quite liked the way they did it.

Anywho - played through the available SP campaign in about 2.5 hours (took my time). Really enjoyable. Stunning looking and the sound is savage.
    The story so far seems very good too.
    I was only playing on normal difficulty but the AI seemed a bit dumb at times. Just standing there like twits staring at this big assed tank coming towards them. Shoot their buddy and then they scatter. Maybe they were frozen stiff until I shoved a shell in their faces..

I only had time for one MP map - and I can't even remember what one it was as I was dead tired. So tired that I ended up 5-17 but still in the top 1/4 score list. Bloody behemoth was above and just kept wrecking me on spawn(one of those rage inducing moments :pac: ).

Need to do a tonne of config. Was pulling between 70-110 fps on an i7 6700k@4.5ghz / gtx1080 on max settings at 1080p which doesn't feel right. I'll have a look at it later today.

I had recorded some footage, only to remember this morning that OBS doesn't like DX12, so all I ended up with was a black screen with me yapping every now and then :confused:
    Guess I'll have to go back to DX11 for now.

I'll update more on the MP once I have played a few more maps.

btw - if you've already bought the game, your pre-order bonuses are available for use. I did enjoy pew pewing the behemoth in my red baron.

Forgot one nice update - Press C on a horse now to change the side you swing your sword from. That was really erking me in the beta. Glad they added it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Am I right in thinking you can buy a month of origin access / ea access to get your 10 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Dcully wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you can buy a month of origin access / ea access to get your 10 hours?

Yes

Plus 10% off the purchase price

Dcully wrote: »

Yep spot on €3.99 and you get a 10% discount on any purchases in that month and early access (3 days). You can cancel any time you want too but any free games you download don't work on Origin access after the month lapses.

Wow

1st time a few years a games graphics has a wow factor. Thats a damn fine looking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yep spot on €3.99 and you get a 10% discount on any purchases in that month and early access (3 days). You can cancel any time you want too but any free games you download don't work on Origin access after the month lapses.

Yeah just signed up now, sure the 10% discount on BF1 takes care of the initial payment and I will cancel it next month.

;)

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah just signed up now, sure the 10% discount on BF1 takes care of the initial payment and I will cancel it next month.

;)

Can cancel now if you want. Just doesn't renew at the end of the month.

Even with the 10% its too much for me.

Even tho I know i will get 200+ hours from it.

g2play so shame cos i wanted a cape :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

dreamers75 wrote: »

g2play so shame cos i wanted a cape :(
    You get to wear the cape of shame...

Don't worry, you won't be alone :) I too shall not be paying EA prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jaysus lads, I dont know if my rig is REALLY showing its age or the game/trial is not very optimised but when playing it today I am getting serious lag in game and online.....does not matter if I stick all video on low settings. So I really think its a CPU/RAM bottleneck if game is optimised. I am running a GTX1060 iChill for the GPU.

Performance manager on my G19 keyboard is showing all 4 cores @ 100% maxed out and about 90% of my RAM. I am getting 60FPS when the game runs but every time I come to a new or intense section it locks up for about 10 secs and runs again fine till next load sequence.

I have a i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz (should be fine I would have taught)
    And 8GB - DDR3 1866 (PC3-14900)

No chance of getting a new CPU or Mobo so I will stick 16GB of PC3-2133 tomorrow and hopefully it will make a difference. Or at least alleviate some stress off rig....

Apart from that its a stunning looking game and really enjoyed the bits I could play.....

Advertisement