Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Picked it up Friday and only really got to play it today and started campaign on hard, just finished the third story thing and it seems good.. (for a BF campaign)

The AI is still awful but hey ho the set pieces are pretty good...

Gonna plough through the rest of the campaign before I even have a look at the real shizzle... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The way the maps are designed promotes snipers it really does...apart from Argennes Forrest or whatever its called the rest of the maps scream camp like a bitch and snipe all for that glorious positive K:D.

Really sickens my arse!

Any kind of armoured vehicle packed with soldiers gives snipers a bad day, and makes capping flags a pleasure. But in most case im the only guy in my Tank with 5 other empty seats cause people would rather run around like headless chickens than be in the protection of the Tank. But when the opposite happens! Oh its glorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Any kind of armoured vehicle packed with soldiers gives snipers a bad day, and makes capping flags a pleasure. But in most case im the only guy in my Tank with 5 other empty seats cause people would rather run around like headless chickens than be in the protection of the Tank. But when the opposite happens! Oh its glorious!

Indeed and then it's just about 10+ medics looking at an enemy tank wondering how they're supposed to kill it and tanks are OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

I play with the arrow keys rather than WSAD

lol missed that...how the hell did you learn to play like that? fair play to you!

I have a mate that plays fps's with flight control...everything is reversed.Still plays alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

lol missed that...how the hell did you learn to play like that? fair play to you!

I have a mate that plays fps's with flight control...everything is reversed.Still plays alright.

Also known as: The right way around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Indeed and then it's just about 10+ medics looking at an enemy tank wondering how they're supposed to kill it and tanks are OP.

I'd heard tanks were nerfed for the release but I think they're pretty much perfectly balanced, to be fair. The only thing that they've noticably reduced is the range of the canister shot, which in the beta was admittedly ridiculous - you could kill people from half a mile away with it.

Playing that way since Doom :cool:

Have a friend who used to play FPS games back in the day with WSAD and....the red 'nipple/pointing stick' button as the mouse. Seriously - this red dot was what he used to play Unreal Tournament, Half Life, Quake, etc. Competitively....online.

TrackPoint-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I think the sniping is fine, get hit the odd time but nothing more than I'd expect. Dont see a problem with the gas either. Very happy so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

After a couple of days of playing, I find the game to be incredibly average and meh overall. There's nothing special about this game. This is the quickest I have ever become bored of a BF game. Now to spend the next 6 months grinding so I can get a slightly better weapon in order to have some sort of a chance. How are there people at level 10 already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Also known as: The right way around.

makes me check :)

You know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Wherever your friends are, if no friends, PC.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

After a couple of days of playing, I find the game to be incredibly average and meh overall. There's nothing special about this game. This is the quickest I have ever become bored of a BF game. Now to spend the next 6 months grinding so I can get a slightly better weapon in order to have some sort of a chance. How are there people at level 10 already?

While I'm loving it so far I would be surprised if I get anywhere near my bf4 hours. But then again I am slightly older now! I'm level 21 in this, I think level 5 assault

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The more I play it the more I do find the maps very average, alot of weird stuff happening now after the patch aswell like jeeps and small motorbikes just disappearing all of a sudden. The UI is still glitchy like when selecting a weapon it goes back a step and you have to go back in constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Use mortars for your Sniper problems. I usually play support and use them to protect advancing troops.

I havent come across snipers that dont leg it once a mortar lands close to them. Mortars are your counter against snipers. I move up my kit has we advance forward and look for snipers.

One issue is a player spawning a tank can choose the tank class. Many lone wolves pick a one man tank instead of one that can fit 5 people and is heavily armoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

One issue is a player spawning a tank can choose the tank class. Many lone wolves pick a one man tank instead of one that can fit 5 people and is heavily armoured.

I started using the three-man Tank Hunter Landship. Absolutely amazing anti-tank kit, only downside is all 3 guns are facing forwards and you can be easily flanked if you're not paying attention.

If you pick the single-man light tank you have absolutely no hope againist the Tank Hunter and even the Heavy Tank can't compete directly with it due to it's single forward facing cannon.

It depends how good a team player you are. If you're a team-effort sort of person, the light tank can be incredibly effective at defending points or supporting infantry. I prefer to use the light tank for that reason, I find most people tend to mis-use the heavy tank or landship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

You can spot enemies in the landship when using the mortars in it! Not sure if the support mortars can spot!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

700mb update, still errors and random bugs....and STILL NO JOYSTICK support. !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

SeantheMan wrote: »
    700mb update, still errors and random bugs....and STILL NO JOYSTICK support. !

Try this Controls Option>Control schemes > Custom soldier sticks. It unlocks the option for remapping the stick/buttons in Keybinds see if it can be mapped to the controller. I'm using the xb1 controller and you have to have that plugged in before the game starts. (I've been using it since the beta)

If its still not recognised you can delete all the Stick bindings and download JoyToKey for free (donationware). Bind the keyboard controls in J2K to the joypad/game pad whatever it is.

There is a few YouTube videos on how to use j2k it is easy enough I can post a thread on how it works if you have trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Try this Controls Option>Control schemes > Custom soldier sticks. It unlocks the option for remapping the stick/buttons in Keybinds see if it can be mapped to the controller. I'm using the xb1 controller and you have to have that plugged in before the game starts. (I've been using it since the beta)

If its still not recognised you can delete all the Stick bindings and download JoyToKey for free (donationware). Bind the keyboard controls in J2K to the joypad/game pad whatever it is.

There is a few YouTube videos on how to use j2k it is easy enough I can post a thread on how it works if you have trouble with it.

They are working on Joystick support supposedly,(they tweeted about it) but it should have shipped with the game as with all previous Battlefields.
    I'm talking about a Joystick, not joypads/controllers btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

maybe stupid here but when joining on friends how do you no if in a queue or not ????

• Advertisement

I much prefer the light tank myself, the problem is people think heavy tank and landship and drive straight into the middle of a flag and sit there!!!!

The damage the assault C4 does to a heavy tank is mental TBH, gone in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭naughto

You'd really have to wonder what kind of fruit loop playtested those gas grenades and said "Yeah, that adds to the game. That is a fun mechanic."
    Gas is king

Servers are gone to ****e lately, only about 10 active in europe right now and queue time is mental WTF. And why only 64 player servers too, then again no point adding more servers when these are laggy as fook!

Nothing but getting stuck in the "LOADING GAME" and you cant go back you have to literally quite the game.

I feel it would be quite cool if rather than gas grenades, players could call in larger gas bombardments on certain positions. The artillery bombardments in Battlefield 2 were great.

Not too bothered about the historical accuraracy but I don't gas grenades were really a thing in the First World War.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

I feel it would be quite cool if rather than gas grenades, players could call in larger gas bombardments on certain positions. The artillery bombardments in Battlefield 2 were great.

If you get a squad that knows how to use them effectively then they can be a game changer. (Same goes with a lot of things)

If you're trying to capture a flag with enemies flooding in on it then you can toss the gas grenades at a distance and take them out without too much issues due to the enemies limited aiming down the sights ability.

There was 6 of us playing together last night and we had a similar type tactic used againist us so we chopped and changed it into a more direct strategy.

Gas Grenades + Mortars + Spotting Flares + Distance advantage = Incredibly effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

jambofc wrote: »
    maybe stupid here but when joining on friends how do you no if in a queue or not ????

Yes, joining friends does not work very well at all if their session is full or even worse, if their squad is full then you can't join another squad (which is essential for high scores). Dice have some work to do to get this game optimized in terms of team/squad play, otherwise I'm happy enough with weapon balancing/snipers/gas, etc., there is a counter to everything if you think about it.

I have a feeling new maps will be needed sooner rather than later though. Looking forward to France and especially Russia (snow maps?) being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I think the gas grenades are more useful than any other grenade in past Battlefields.
    I tend to f**k them at sniper positions or even throw one behind me while I'm peppering the opposite direction. Can use the hit indicators as a kind of trip wire to warn you of approaching enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    If you get a squad that knows how to use them effectively then they can be a game changer. (Same goes with a lot of things)

If you're trying to capture a flag with enemies flooding in on it then you can toss the gas grenades at a distance and take them out without too much issues due to the enemies limited aiming down the sights ability.

There was 6 of us playing together last night and we had a similar type tactic used againist us so we chopped and changed it into a more direct strategy.

Gas Grenades + Mortars + Spotting Flares + Distance advantage = Incredibly effective.

Yeah, I don't think anyone disputes that they're effective. They're not fun though. It's an irritating mechanic. Any battles that take place in close quarters are just mired in a fog of constant green. If anything they just further encourage the plague of snipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Any tips for complete Noobs to the BF game?

Played a few games last night and really struggling, most matches getting killed 12-15 times with only 3-4 kills. As a medic how do you revive someone?

Thanks all. Game looks amazing.

• Advertisement

Play in a squad, always try to follow squad or team mates rather than go lone ranger, try not to be overly gung-ho charging into things, and choose your weapon to suit the map/point you're trying to capture at any given time. Medic revive, you have to select the syringe using whatever key you've assigned the gadget to, default is number 4 I think. I wouldn't worry too much about K/D ratio (though I know its frustrating as hell to continuously die without killing anyone).

Advertisement