Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1 general discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

What's the best sniper rifle for power over distance? I want to make the best of the wide maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Wonda-Boy wrote:
    Ahh ffs, you serious. Just when I pwned the kids off to the granny.

Looks OK again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Pickpocket wrote: »
    What's the best sniper rifle for power over distance? I want to make the best of the wide maps.

I got the Russian 1895 and it seems ok so far on long range, lethal on medium range tho had great fun with it last night, wanted to get the gewher but haven't levelled up that far yet,

tripperman wrote: »
    I got the Russian 1895 and it seems ok so far on long range, lethal on medium range tho had great fun with it last night, wanted to get the gewher but haven't levelled up that far yet,

Cheers. Yeah I have the 1895 and you're quite right, it's excellent for medium range. I'm almost at level 3 so I might take a punt on the Gewher. What's the difference between the sniper and marksman versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭tripperman

Cheers. Yeah I have the 1895 and you're quite right, it's excellent for medium range. I'm almost at level 3 so I might take a punt on the Gewher. What's the difference between the sniper and marksman versions?

Not sure on the specific differences, but according to jack frags the marksman doesn't give off a glint while zooming in, where as the sniper does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tripperman wrote: »

thts because its sweet spot is medium range, meaning body hits are one hit kills

different scopes, sniper has a long range scope which will create a glint but will give you better accuracy over long range.

Marksman gives you a short medium range scope, no glint but harder to aim at someone far away

Cheers guys. I think I'll be staying with the scout class so the best thing is just to buy them all one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cheers guys. I think I'll be staying with the scout class so the best thing is just to buy them all one by one.

Noob camper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Whats the deal with the V button and snipers. Do you have to change it on the fly according to where you think the enemy is or wha'? Can you just leave it at default and snipe away.....

jayo26 wrote: »
    Noob camper ;)

Ha, the complete opposite actually. My CoD days were spent in the thick of it. But with Overwatch, and now Battlefield 1, I'm simply not feeling it like I used to. Admittedly I'm not very good at FPS but I used to love the thrill of the frontline. Now it bores me.

On the other hand I used to dread hanging around with a sniper rifle. I just didn't have the patience. But now I love the sense of calm. My only issue is making sure I'm part of the overall teamplay. Sometimes it can feel that you're literally out in the wilderness. But I'm new to Battlefield so hopefully I'll become used to the overall rhythm of the game and how best to play as a scout.

Any tips?

Edit: I've just read over what I've written and I'm quite clearly a noob camper, at least with this series!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Jaysus medic really do get an awful deal in this game, as someone who plays medic most of the time (rank 11 medic - 43 overall) I find its a case of fooked if you do and fooked if you dont. People only get snotty now if they see medics are around with the distance counter bottom left. Dice should just get rid of it TBH, either a medic is there or he is not. If someone does not want to revive for whatever reason he is not going to and "departed" knowing he is there just causes **** chat in game.

I can understand players not running into fire to heal but I do, and alot of times I die but I feel its worth it I like it I dont know why. Its like the revive is worth more when you revive mid fire fight. However, there has to be a reasonable chance to survive.

Another interesting note I found is that the bandage pouches are much better then the healing crates. You can throw them a huge distance to squad mates & they do not stop healing while under suppression fire unlike the crates which take time to start healing again afterwards. And pouches cannot be destryed by gunfire.....so if you see crates on ground by enemies shoot them.

BTW,

The rank 10 medic gun is such a thing of beauty it is amazing in both looks and sound, shame it only has a 5 bullet capacity but its still my fav gun in game by far.

Well said man, point i was trying to get across.

Whats the deal with the V button and snipers. Do you have to change it on the fly according to where you think the enemy is or wha'? Can you just leave it at default and snipe away.....

you can leave it but it means you got to manually judge bullet drop at longer ranges.

Which some players (myself included) are fine with, though I do tend to over estimate the bullet drop at medium range)

But other players if they know its outside a certain range will use the v key to adjust the range on the rifle so they wont need to compensate for bullet drop as much if they know they're shooting outside a certain range. for example if you are sniping a point and can see you are just over 150m away from the point you can set the range to 150m and know that you can aim directly at anyone on the point and get a headshot and when it's someone just outside the point you just need to deduct the distance from the point rather then from yourself so less compensation is needed.

I only use it if I'm defensive sniping with a longer range rifle. But I havnt done any of that in the full game as I've barely touched snipers beyond a few rounds due to them being spammed and I feel dirty whenever I play sniper and can clearly see the team needs another medic or an anti-tank or a support to help push. It's beginning to annoy me as I want to try out the scout rifles but I've barely reached level 2 :( while I'm almost level 10 with every other class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Ha, the complete opposite actually. My CoD days were spent in the thick of it. But with Overwatch, and now Battlefield 1, I'm simply not feeling it like I used to. Admittedly I'm not very good at FPS but I used to love the thrill of the frontline. Now it bores me.

On the other hand I used to dread hanging around with a sniper rifle. I just didn't have the patience. But now I love the sense of calm. My only issue is making sure I'm part of the overall teamplay. Sometimes it can feel that you're literally out in the wilderness. But I'm new to Battlefield so hopefully I'll become used to the overall rhythm of the game and how best to play as a scout.

Any tips?

Edit: I've just read over what I've written and I'm quite clearly a noob camper, at least with this series!

Dont mind me pal I'm a bit of everything. I was probably the worst camper of them all in bf4 it's only now I'm getting into the different roles and getting stuck into it.

I find myself having as much Craic sticking a needle into dead soldiers as I do sniping fekers from edge of maps and in fairness 5 or 6 revivals are worth as much as 5 or six kils.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Started playing this last night and am finding it tough going. Using medic class mainly because I like the semi automatic weapons but I'm dying so often!
    What is the story with the active medal thing? Can you only level up whichever medal you have active?
    Any tips for newbies? Which class is best to start with when unfamiliar with the maps?
    Playing on ps4 with no headset which doesn't help but have been trying to stick to squad play as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Started playing this last night and am finding it tough going. Using medic class mainly because I like the semi automatic weapons but I'm dying so often!
    What is the story with the active medal thing? Can you only level up whichever medal you have active?
    Any tips for newbies? Which class is best to start with when unfamiliar with the maps?
    Playing on ps4 with no headset which doesn't help but have been trying to stick to squad play as much as possible.

You can only level up whichever medal you have active and you can only do it in the order they are presented.

For Example:
    Basic Medic Medal
    20 Kills as Medic
    25 Squad Heals
    25 Revives

(I use the Veteran set of controls in BF1 so I can only assume the buttons are the same)
    You could get 200 squad heals but it won't count until you complete the 20 kills. Also they will cycle through every week. Some of them seem to be random as a couple of my friends have some similar and some wildly different to my own.

The fact that you're trying to stick to squad play straight off the bat puts you in an upper tier straight away.
    For general tips I would say to just spot as much as you can. This would be R1 on your PS4. Spotting will allow you to spot an enemy which will appear on your team's mini-map with a little icon above their heads for a limited time. I really can't stress the usefulness of the spotting ability enough, even if it's a tank with fire flaming from it's rear guns be sure to spot it up (You'd never know when a friendly bomber is just looking for a fresh target or a few enemies grouping together). You will also get points for spotting if the enemy gets killed within the time you spotted him for your team.

If you manage to get landed in a Squad Leader position be sure to mark up an objective, you can do this by pointing your crosshairs at the objective and pressing R1 (or by holding down R1 and using the right analog to select Squad Orders -> A, B, C, D etc etc). If you set an objective for your team to capture then as long as at least one of your squad members are at the objective the whole squad will get 100 points upon completion of the objective.

As for best class to go with ..... I would say maybe assault due to the MP18 as it's a nice little starting weapon but by all means if you like playing as a medic I'd advise to stick with it as not every map has a vehicle but all maps have dead team mates (That sounds morbid). If you're sticking to it I'd advise to run a least the medic crate/ bag with the syringe, it's a basic setup but it'll cover you decently for points but if the rifle grenade is your thing then stick to what you know.

Feel free to send a friend request if you're constantly running into silly teammate trouble, always nice to a semi-coordinated squad on hand.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

It's beginning to annoy me as I want to try out the scout rifles but I've barely reached level 2 :( while I'm almost level 10 with every other class.

I am pretty much in the same boat I am well up in rank on medic and scout both 10+ but I have not even tried a full round with the scout class for pretty much the same reason as you stated. My team needs me!!!! :cool:

Starting to play assault now but its not as fluid as previous BF series, having to lie down with the rocket is so slow and feels very cumbersome. Even to get the nades out and throw them the animation is slow.

The automatico trench is so overpowered with the hip fire its ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I only play scout as the infantry rifles are great, I very rarely, if ever, play the marksman/sniper role though. The K bullets come in handy for having some anti-armour capability in conjunction with using the light AT grenade. The SMLE Infantry seems to be the best rifle to me, I used the Gewehr for a bit but found it not as good. If more scouts actually used the K bullets, you'd be a very effective anti-armour force even with just one assault in the squad.

Best gun in the game for me bar none is the level 10 medic gun the "scheliber" or something O MY GOD its just pure sex. Even the reload animation is brilliant.

Starting to play assault now but its not as fluid as previous BF series, having to lie down with the rocket is so slow and feels very cumbersome. Even to get the nades out and throw them the animation is slow.

I'd recommend running with other anti-tank weapons. The At Rifle is good and all but its really only for maps like Sinai where you can use the distance to fire off multiple shots. On a map like Amiens the AT mine and AT grenade are much much better options.

Also the AT mine is brilliant for combination kills as you can set it off with another weapon. For example I'd plant a line of them alongside the train behemoth and then throw a grenade back and it sets them all off one after the other doing damage.

I've also seen players plant the AT mine and then shoot it to set it off. One guy would suicide tanks by planting all the mines in one go and then blank range shotgun them to destroy the tank.

If you are playing in a squad though you can mix things up with a sniper shooting the AT mine for a mob of infantry kills or using it to bring down buildings in one go by planting it on the ground floor and then dropping the AT grenade on it.

Causes the entire roof to cave in.
    The automatico trench is so overpowered with the hip fire its ridiculous.

Oh god yes! the trench version is such a beast. Though I think its really small magazine holds it back enough that in a 1 v 1 it is badass but if you are facing 2v1 it will at best let you trade with the 2nd soldier at worse gets you killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

XtraFalcon wrote:
    You can only level up whichever medal you have active and you can only do it in the order they are presented.

Great post thabks!
    So the only medals I'm seeing st the moment are for the assault class, does that mean that all my time spent as a medic has been in vain? I don't think I've unlocked one gun yet and I think I've ranked to level 9 or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

New to the BF series and FPS in general but must say I love this. Atmosphere is unreal and it looks great. Love being medic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I don't think I've unlocked one gun yet and I think I've ranked to level 9 or so?
    everytime you level up you get warbands...use them to unlock guns.

When youve just joined a game at the screen you slect where you are gonna spawn press triangle( I think) and you'll be able to buy and change your gun for that class.

Some guns can only be unlocked when you reach a certain level for that class(which is separate from your over all level).

I've only just started palying after a long break from BF and the best thing to know...is play the objective and your class. Yes at the start you'll die a lot but after a while you'll learn the maps and how to dooge snipers (well a bit better that at the start :) )

Had a funny moment being sniped earlier...got caught out in the open and got hit by a sniper hidden in a windmill...started running in small circles and going randomly right to left...he missed me a good few times I would love to tell you I bayonetted him but I'd be lying...some fukker in a tank ran me over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's some game ya know

They really have done a great job with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Ha Ha HA :pac:

My condolences to the pilot/gunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Falthyron wrote: »
    Ali Hassoon also confirmed a tweak that will be coming to Battlefield 1 in a future patch. With this tweak, players will be able to take over as Squad Leader if the current leader fails to issue orders, just like in Battlefield 4. No release date has been announced for a future update, but more on the matter should be coming soon.

That's even better news! Should be able to say what flag you are going to if your in a squad double tapping on the flag greys out the order icon or puts a number beside it stating how many confirmed orders are received!

Never been a great fan of hardcore in BF will have to give it a good camping style try this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just played war pigeons for the first time. I think it's a great mode. I did like Drop zone in Battlefront so this is a good fit.

I'd just like to see it become a little bit more objective based as in once you have the pigeon you have to bring it back to your base or another point.

Some great infantry firefights in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

I played a few games last night and never before have I seen such a lack of awareness in players.

On two separate incidents I've seen people running passed one another in doorways without so much as a second glance.

Managed to jump behind a group of Scouts/Snipers living the tent life in Monte Grappa at D Flag and beat them all to death (not very quietly I might add) in extremely close proximity to each other, with only the final one turning around but even then he didn't get to turn around fully so the instant-melee kill triggered.

I watched a few people blindly run out in front of enemies I had just spotted seconds previously.

Although I must admit, there was a guy who stood out in front of my Landship as I was travelling down the road and start firing his normal weapon at me and then threw a frag at me, that was incredibly brave and/or stupid of him to do but you have to admire that kind of spirit (In all ways except common sense). It was the guy that spawned on him the second before I crushed him I feel really sorry for.

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I played a few games last night and never before have I seen such a lack of awareness in players.

On two separate incidents I've seen people running passed one another in doorways without so much as a second glance.

Managed to jump behind a group of Scouts/Snipers living the tent life in Monte Grappa at D Flag and beat them all to death (not very quietly I might add) in extremely close proximity to each other, with only the final one turning around but even then he didn't get to turn around fully so the instant-melee kill triggered.

I watched a few people blindly run out in front of enemies I had just spotted seconds previously.

Although I must admit, there was a guy who stood out in front of my Landship as I was travelling down the road and start firing his normal weapon at me and then threw a frag at me, that was incredibly brave and/or stupid of him to do but you have to admire that kind of spirit (In all ways except common sense). It was the guy that spawned on him the second before I crushed him I feel really sorry for.

I'm tired of other Scouts spawning to my position and then lying down right next to me. I realise there's too many Scouts but if so many of us insist on playing as that class then the least we can do is try turn it into an advantage.

• Advertisement

Yeah unfortunately the more you play the more incredibly stupid things you see, it REALLY REALLY is about K : D for so so many people. I played a handful of games last night and I constantly had to switch squads as the squad leaders just would not issues and order, instead they are pissing around in planes etc.

When I am playing I am spamming medic kits or ammo left right and centre to the point where I get annoyed if they use someone else's LMAO.

We really really need to squad up with mates or this game will drive you insane.

Advertisement