Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App that records all phone usage

• 15-12-2015 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I've already posted this in the android devices forum ,but got permission to post here also as I'm not sure if the users are the same or not, and I'd like as many suggestions as possible.

Basically, as part of a research project I want to find and install an app that would record all mobile phone usage by the mobile phone owner.

They would be aware of it and willing to participate so it doesn't have to be spyware.

I'd be looking for detail to extent that I could see every app they opened and closed, and for how long, and what they looked at and typed entered. Also, what they browsed on their mobile browser.

I'm not aware of any apps myself, so I'm interested in hearing if others have ideas or suggestions. Of course, it might be more likely that more than one app would be needed, with each app doing a different part of what I'm looking for, rather than one app which does all that I'm looking for.

Now, based on the comments from the other thread, I'll point out that I don't know how to write an app myself (not the slightest clue) so that's a non-runner.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'm not sure I'd like to run an app like that in the background on my phone keeping tabs on everything I type. I'm pretty sure iOS doesn't allow this kind of app anyway.

On a more basic level, iPhones do tell you under Settings > Battery how long each app has been on screen or in the background, and what battery usage they take up. But I don't think there's anyway to harvest that data other than to ask each user to report on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks.

The more I think about it, the more it would never be approved anyway in terms of ethics.

Advertisement