Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Almonds Substitute

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Totally substitute, or like sub 10 grams that you're short?

Ground almonds are totally different to flour, obviously. For one, they have no gluten. Using an extra 200g of flour is likely to make your cake heavy and tough, which is not what you want.

You probably can do it, but it will totally change the texture of the cake. Be prepared for it to (possibly) sink, be heavy and potentially dry. As they say, baking is a science, and it relies very heavily on the correct chemical reactions taking place. Messing with the ingredients can have unpredictable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

A similar cake where nigella shows recipe using ground almonds or substituting for flour.
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/CHOCOLATE-OLIVE-OIL-CAKE-5551

Changes the texture though. I would say its more fudgy with the ground almonds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I can't remember where I heard it and I've never tried it but apparently polenta or semolina make a good alternative to ground almonds in cake recipes - it actually makes sense in terms of texture, could be worth a try.

Advertisement