Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I go next?

Options
  • 15-12-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

So I've been learning html, css, javascript for the past few months in my own time through books, youtube and teamtreehouse and loving it. I work full time at the moment in retail but would really love to pursue this.

I'm not hugely interested in the design side of things at all but love the coding. I just want to know what's the next step? I was thinking of starting learning php or phython. Any recommendations of what I should be doing now?

I know the code pretty well that I've covered so far but I haven't built much with it I wouldn't know where or what to make but I know in my head I can do it if that makes sense just need a bit of guidance I think.

I'd love to get a job in this field but I fear I'm nowhere near good enough yet, I'd take a job at minimum wage even to get in the door somewhere and upskill from there. At least I enjoy it, I dread every single day in work these days which isn't good.

Any advice is appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Pick some sort of server side language. If you are familiar with Javascript, then perhaps node or angular. php would be an easy option, and if you just want to knock some sites together and what not then its fine. However, if you want to learn the ins and outs of coding properly, then go with a more strictly typed language than that like Java or .Net I can't comment on python as I'm not familiar with it.

I spend my working days in php, and if I had my choice it'd be Java and not this quagmire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Have you looked at any JavaScript frameworks? The latest flavour of the month is React with Relay and GraphQL. Of course, these require the use of a server backend: since you already know JavaScript, try using node.js for this part. These will introduce you to a whole new set of concepts - learn all about them!

Advertisement