Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturnalia: a surprising sauropodomorph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

At 225 million years old it would be slightly younger than Herrerasaurus, Eoraptor and Eodromaeus (pictured).
    18obdino2-popup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

Dear Adam,

Saturnalia remains an enigma. How are we to classify this unusual dinosaur? Palaeontologists cannot seem to agree as to whether Saturnalia is a true sauropodomorph, a theropod, a basal/borderline/transitional species, or on the common line of ancestry to both theropods and sauropodomorphs? This is not the only dinosaur which bears characteristics of both types. What are we to make of Saturnalia?

A theropod on the way to becoming a prosauropod? A very early prosauropod reverting to theropod traits? Something else?:confused:

Help, help! Opinions, please.

Hello again Adam,

I forget to comment on the fact that the three creatures you mentioned above, Eoraptor et al, are USUALLY classified as theropods: does this mean that you accept Saturnalia, too, as belonging to the theropods?

I don´t know enough about it to "accept" it as one thing or the other. But Eoraptor used to be classified as an early theropod and now it too is believed to be closer to sauropodomorphs, with Eodromaeus occupying its place as early theropod.
    Truth is these dinos are close to the original ancestors of all dinosaurs so their ambiguity is to be expected. Maybe we shouldn´t be trying fit them into neat existing categories to begin with.

Hello Adam,

The early dinosaurs may be very basal and generic-looking; but they are all the more intriguing for that, considering that they are pioneers, important precursors of what was to come later. As such, I deem them to be ESPECIALLY worthy of our research and consideration. In order to know them, it is important to determine what they were, how to fit them into the correct niches of classification. As a staunch follower of Linnaeus, this is my duty and my pleasure.

Panphagia is another probable basal sauropodomorph which deserves to be studied with care. His scientific name, derived from ancient Greek, means "the all-devouring"! I have attached a link:

www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/a-new-early-dinosaur-panphagia-protos-38981400/?no-ist

• Advertisement

That being the case I'm thinking you'll find this very interesting:

http://news.sciencemag.org/paleontology/2015/12/dinosaurs-evolved-much-faster-previously-thought

Advertisement