Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register a name Non Trading Company

Options
  • 15-12-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    I wish to register a company name that I may use in the future. I just want to claim the name so I will have it.
    As it wont be trading there will be no transactions.

What documents do I need to do this or what way do i go about it.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just registering a trading name won't offer you any protection you would need to register a full LTD company to stop someone using that exact name or you could trademark/copyright it but that would be a bit extreme for something you may not even use.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edward9

I want to protect and register a name that I plan to use in the future so that no one can use the name or abbreviations of it.
    What is Trademark/Copyright setup?

Edward9 wrote: »
    I want to protect and register a name that I plan to use in the future so that no one can use the name or abbreviations of it.
    What is Trademark/Copyright setup?

If no one has thought to use it to date why would they use it in the near future?

You can find trade mark info from the patent office

Just to save you having to find how much it is:
    Q. How much does it cost to register a Trademark?

A. The initial application fee is €70. If an application contains more than one class then there is a fee of €70 for each additional class. If applying for a series of trade marks an additional €50 per mark fee is payable from the 3rd to the 6th mark. Once the application is accepted for registration, a registration fee of €177 is payable. A renewal fee of €250 per mark and €125 for each additional class is payable every ten years. Please note that these are statutory fees and if you employ a trade mark agent or solicitor to handle your application, they will charge their own professional fees.

It would be cheaper to register an LTD but wouldn't offer you as much protection and you will need to file returns even while there is no trading.

I think you would really need a very good reason to go about doing either really. I guess if you think there is a high chance of it being an in demand now in the future and there is no way you could trader under something else than maybe but there is almost always something else you can use!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If I remember correctly it's €70 per year per classification and that's only for protection in Ireland. The link jimmy provided should provide more information.

If it's important/valuable to you, it's probably worth engaging a qualified professional to organise the Trademark/s.

It's worth pointing out that many markets consider a Trademark abandoned if it isn't/hasn't been used for specific periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edward9

Thanks Guys so if I register a Trade Mark is it the case I can also register 2 other Trade Mark names with the initial name for the 70Euro plus 177 completion fee??

I would be nervous of words been swapped around or words added that would look similar to my trademark

• Advertisement

Edward9 wrote: »
    Thanks Guys so if I register a Trade Mark is it the case I can also register 2 other Trade Mark names with the initial name for the 70Euro plus 177 completion fee??

I would be nervous of words been swapped around or words added that would look similar to my trademark

Best to contact a professional and explain to them exactly what you want to protect and they will let you know what the damage is going to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Trademark fees are listed here:
    https://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/Trade-Marks/Statutory-Trade-Mark-Fees/

Irish trademarks are valid for 10 years

If you aren't using the mark actively it can be hard to defend / protect it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

OP, you seem to be looking for an opportunity to squat on a name, ....as a trade mark, you can try it but will never be able to protect it without proving use. Your trade mark affords no company name protection and vice versa. You fall at the first hudle if you do not use it first...!

Advertisement