Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Gaming Mouse

• 15-12-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

My trusty 11 year old MX-518 has finally given up the ghost :(

Can anyone recommend me a decent replacement for around the 50 quid mark?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Picked up a G502 during the cyber Monday sales its on amazon.co.uk still for £35 think thats about 50 Euro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mx 518 owner here for the last 5+ years until a few weeks ago, if you can stretch to getting the final mouse you should, its almost identical in the hand but a lot more accurate, has to be used to be believed.

http://www.finalmouse.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I am very happy with G602 from Logitech.

Not sure why everyone ends up going for a wired mouse.

Wireless gives you so much freedom.

This mouse if comfy to use, has excellent battery life and I've never had any problems with the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have a g502 for xmas.

Now anyone want an MMO Logitech gaming mouse ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dcully wrote: »
    mx 518 owner here for the last 5+ years until a few weeks ago, if you can stretch to getting the final mouse you should, its almost identical in the hand but a lot more accurate, has to be used to be believed.

http://www.finalmouse.com/

Is there anywhere selling that in dublin do ye know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

G5 - It's the upgrade from the MX518 and feels nearly identical except it's better in every way.
    I was a Mx518 user for years too, and an Mx510 before that. Logitech G5 is next in line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

oh that finalmouse looks the biz, where can I buy one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've a G700, and love the feel of it. It may not be as good as some of the other gaming mice, but it's bit and has more then enough buttons for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Kiith wrote: »
    I've a G700, and love the feel of it. It may not be as good as some of the other gaming mice, but it's bit and has more then enough buttons for me.

Do you manage to put all those 13 buttons to good use?

It looks to me like it would be difficult to get to them instantaneously (not all at the same time, but milliseconds cost lives in CSGO)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have the same mouse and I would now be completely lost without the 4 thumb buttons - they tend to be my sprint/melee/grenade/special buttons when I play things. The top three on the left I don't use too often , I have them bound to sensitivity up & down and in Battlefield I had them throw out ammo/health or switch to rocket launcher depending on the class I played (never sniper cause snipers are faegs). But I wouldn't use those buttons too often, the thumbs are where it's at for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I bought the G700s about 2 years ago and was really good mouse, had a nice weight and was ergonomic for what I needed. The wire became faulty a little while ago and ended up buying the G502 Proteus a as a replacement. While the G502 is a really nice mouse, the weight and ergonomics of the G700s were far better for what I needed so ended up buying a new standard USB to Micro USB braided cable for the G700s which works a charm and gave the G502 to a mate.

In short, G700/G700s is a recommended mouse. I also recommend the G502.

Since I got the final mouse my aim and precision has increased dramatically in fps games.
    I'm far from a competitive player these days but the difference is noticeable especially combined with a 144hz monitor.
    No drivers just raw performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

What's the build quality like with the FinalMouse, Dcully?

Think there's an ambidextrous one on the way for you sinisters out there too.

It doesn't feel as well built as my old mx518 [which still works btw :P] but its still solid enough,certainly not poorly built.
    The only negative I have is the 2 shoulder buttons don't feel as comfy to press as the 518 and make a pretty loud clicking sound compared to the 518 but once you feel that precision you soon forget about those minor issues.
    I cant stress enough how close it feels to the 518 in hand , almost identical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Do you manage to put all those 13 buttons to good use?

It looks to me like it would be difficult to get to them instantaneously (not all at the same time, but milliseconds cost lives in CSGO)

Not at all to be honest. I'll occasionally bind one of them, but I've never really used anything bar the middle mouse button.

May be slightly wasted on me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

G700s here too and the thumb buttons are excellent I would be lost without them, reload jump duck bound to them for csgo, would like to try the 602 though, and like above I use the buttons on top for sensitivity don't bother binding anything else to thrm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Dcully wrote: »
    It doesn't feel as well built as my old mx518 [which still works btw :P] but its still solid enough,certainly not poorly built.
    The only negative I have is the 2 shoulder buttons don't feel as comfy to press as the 518 and make a pretty loud clicking sound compared to the 518 but once you feel that precision you soon forget about those minor issues.
    I cant stress enough how close it feels to the 518 in hand , almost identical.

Yeah, the 518s were built to last! Mine was only replaced because the then girlfriend's cat chewed through the cord. :o

I see the FM is sold out on Amazon. I wonder if a new revision is coming...?

Id say so , their social media outlets suggest something new is coming in 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

managed to fix my MX 518, just a stuck micro switch

might wait for the new version of that Final Mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

size wise how does it compare to the MX518/other logitech mice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

kingtiger wrote: »
    managed to fix my MX 518, just a stuck micro switch

might wait for the new version of that Final Mouse

I had the same problem with mine years ago, but the microswitch was broken. I desoldered the microswitch for the back button and used it to replace the left mouse button.

Replaced it with a Microsoft Habu eventually but it only lasted a few months.

Currently using a Logitech G9x which I got new for about 20 quid because it was Modern Warfare 3 branded (bit of sandpaper, no problem).

Skerries wrote: »
    size wise how does it compare to the MX518/other logitech mice?

Feels almost identical to 518 in size,weight and grip.

IMAG1492.jpg

IMAG1490.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

JJ Abrams would be proud of those pictures :D

did you order it or buy it in a brick&mortar shop? I'd be interested in getting one meself

amazon

Advertisement