Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda 'who lost her ambition due to PTSD awarded €75,000

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Severe injuries? Hardly severe.

I've broken my nose a number of times training of the years.

PTSD is being thrown about lately, reminds me of ADHD.

I guess you think the other Garda deserved her 35k for looking at some poop too? I can't imagine what she must be going through, :rolleyes:

Try 390,000 for ptsd awarded

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People seem to be overlooking the fact that as a result of this assault, she suffered both physical and psychological damage, and no longer feels she can perform regular duties. A direct result of this would be a serious hindrance to any future promotion opportunities. Why would she get promoted if there's a list of people going for it, and she's no longer able to perform regular duties? This is the main issue. As a result of the assault, she may not be able to further her career.

Also, yes, there is a higher chance of a Garda being assaulted in their career, more so than most other services. The issue here is that the state does not attempt to prevent this happening. They can have all the procedures they want, but the simple fact is that people who assault Gardaí get little more than a slap on the wrist most of the time. See posts above where a Garda was subject to a "fairly ferocious attack" and didn't even get jail. There are numerous articles which show that Gardaí getting attacked results in little or no prosecution. There was a vote a few years back to make mandatory minimum sentencing for assaults on emergency services personnel. This was not the emergency services attempting to increase sentences for assaults on them, it was an attempt to potentially prevent attacks. Guaranteed emergency services would much prefer prevention over cure, and mandatory minimum sentencing would go a huge way towards that, as a criminal would be less likely to attack them if they knew they were going to get a minimum of 5 years in jail. As it currently stands, they know that if they attack emergency services personnel, they'll probably just get a slap on the wrist. The vote was rejected, with half voting against it, and quite a few abstaining from the vote. This is what the law makers think of the frontline emergency services personnel.

As a direct result of that, it's a fact that Gardaí are less likely to put themselves in situations where they might be assaulted. This in turn is bad for everyone else. Why would a Garda put themselves on the line knowing that, if some posters had their way, they wouldn't get compensation for assaults and the criminal would more than likely walk free.

Add onto that that if this Garda had to take, say a month off work as a direct result of the assault, it would be considered injury on duty and wouldn't form part of the new Sick Leave Regulations (90 days off sick on full pay, 90 days on half pay, anything above that on pension rate which is basically lower than the dole). Now, if she suffers from PTSD, there would be more time off work as a result, but because she cam back to work, under the SLR if she went out sick again with PTSD as a result of that incident, it would affect her sick days. The state is basically punishing Gardaí for doing their job.

I've seen dead bodies, horrible traffic collisions, suicides. Initially, they would phase me, but because that happens so often you become desensitized to it. The issue with that is that the state does not provide counselling services to Gardaí. Back in the day, the only counselling you got after a traumatic event was going on the piss with your colleagues, which in itself led a lot of older Gardaí to alcoholism. There is still no counselling services, but there are "peer supporters" who are other, serving regular frontline Gardaí who were given a few days course on how to talk to colleagues. They are not psychiatrists or counselors. The state is making moves to bring in counselling, but it will be restricted to 4 free visits a year. Not much good in my opinion. There should be 24/7 free counselling to all serving Gardaí, and other frontline emergency services personnel.

In America, if you're a cop and come across a traumatic event, you're not allowed back on the beat until the state appointed counsellor deems you safe to do so. Here, "You saw the result of someone after blowing their head off? Make sure to have that file in on time. And there's a fatal road traffic collision just after happening, get out there".

Until that happens, i think Gardaí are entitled to some compensation for psychological issues, because they have to pay for their own counselling as it currently stands.

Edit: Just to put some perspective into this, remember the old woman who fell going up an escalator in Dublin airport? She got €40k because she didn't know how to use an escalator, was too stubborn or stupid to ask for directions to the lift (from the hundreds of people who work there), and suffered a few cuts and grazes, and a couple of pains. And ye begrudge a Garda who had her nose broken and suffered PTSD? The Gardaí are gone soft? I think they're just following in line with the general public...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

enricoh wrote: »
    Over 900 guards are currently suing for injuries.I think it's a bit of a cash cow for them to be honest.
    75k for a broken nose- what's wrong with 5k? With the size of the payouts the judge's dole out i can see why so many sue.
    I broke my arm playing ball years ago , maybe I should sue the guy that tackled me for 100k!

+1. In the UK a victim of an assault was told "A broken nose is not serious enough for compensation'"

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/11258073._A_broken_nose_is_not_serious_enough_for_compensation_/

And that was accepted by all involved. On your bike, get on with it.

You would think maybe 5,000 would be a nice gesture though.

maryishere wrote: »
    +1. In the UK a victim of an assault was told "A broken nose is not serious enough for compensation'"

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/11258073._A_broken_nose_is_not_serious_enough_for_compensation_/

And that was accepted by all involved. On your bike, get on with it.

You would think maybe 5,000 would be a nice gesture though.

Bit of a difference. That was an assault on a member of the public by a member of the public. The suspect got 18 months for that. If this is a regular occurence in his line of work (taxi rank marshall) then his employers should have some scheme set up. In this thread, a Garda was assaulted on duty. There's no mention of what time the suspect will serve, but i could guarantee he woulnd't get 18 months, and the Gardaí have a compensation scheme for these exact reasons. You can't compare the two, as the taxi rank guy didn't suffer from PTSD (well, the article doesn't state he did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Severe injuries? Hardly severe.

I've broken my nose a number of times training of the years.

Good for you. Not every single injury (broken nose, leg, finger) has the same outcome. You broke your nose, no lasting damage that you know of. The Gardai in the OP may have had lasting damage. A broken nose while training (I am guessing you do MMA or something?), is to be expected. A broken nose while working, even in the Gardai, is not to be expected.
    I guess you think the other Garda deserved her 35k for looking at some poop too? I can't imagine what she must be going through, :rolleyes:

Completely different thread and situation. Only similarities are "Gardai" and "Compensation"... What's your point bringing that up here?

Compensation really gets to people. Fierce amount of begrudgery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Compensation really gets to people.
    Not Compersation - I would not begrudge the Garda a few grand or even 5 grand. No doubt the Garda was also off work on sick pay / stress leave for an extended period of time?

I know many people who have got injured at work : not get that amount of compensation, 75k, for something of that relatively small magnitude.

Not Compersation - I would not begrudge the Garda a few grand or even 5 grand. No doubt the Garda was also off work on sick pay / stress leave for an extended period of time?

Which would also affect her promotion prospects, sick leave, and especially stress leave, is taken into account for promotions. You'd be slower to promote someone who was out sick for ages or who was out with stress, than someone who wasn't.
    I know many people who have got injured at work : not get that amount of compensation, 75k, for something of that relatively small magnitude.

It's not just the injury, she also suffered PTSD and required therapy, which is not paid for by the state.

Advertisement