Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solo travel to OZ via thiland advice

Options
  • 15-12-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

HI I am a 22 year old guy looking to do some traveling/working for a year or so next April/May, my plan at the moment is to fly to Bangkok travel around Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia for a while then fly from Bangkok to Australia east coast in june/july

My main questions are about the Australia part.

i would like to travel the east coast for a while i was wondering which city would ye consider the busiest for work when im finished traveling?
    i am a qualified aircraft electrician and have seen some ads on OZ job seeker websites looking for rail maintenance technicians which seem to fit my qualifications does anyone have any experience in this field or know of any other trades/jobs that fit my profile?

i am not sure weather to travel from Melbourne-north or Brisbane-south any advice on this would be lovely.

In April/may i should have somewhere between 12-17k saved for my trip

long story short i am kind of looking for advice on traveling then settling down to find some work?
    if anyone has done this sort of thing before could ye let me know what ye did please?

if ye feel ye can give me some useful advice on my trip it would be much appreciated if not that's okay too.

thanks
    stephen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Not to put a damper on any 22 yo plans. Dont know if traveling around Thailand on your own is a great idea.....if you do please be very careful. Remember it is under military rule at present. Do plenty of research beforehand and keep in contact and notify people of where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

skippy2 wrote: »
    Not to put a damper on any 22 yo plans. Dont know if traveling around Thailand on your own is a great idea.....if you do please be very careful. Remember it is under military rule at present. Do plenty of research beforehand and keep in contact and notify people of where you are going.

What do you think is going to happen to him in Thailand?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭stephenk123

thanks for the input guys.

i moved out of home at 17 and started working so i would think that i have a pretty good head on my shoulders. (i have a bitta cop on like)

my first post was a bit, all over the place.

1.Is it wise to move out there without having a job lined up, if not how does one go about applying for jobs in OZ while in Ireland? (is it straight forward apply and send cv)

2. Would ye advise in trying to get a 'trade' job first, work hard and hope that i get sponsored or start with the regional work then go do the 'trade' work.

sorry im not the best at writing in these forum yokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

i moved out of home at 17 and started working so i would think that i have a pretty good head on my shoulders. (i have a bitta cop on like)

1.Is it wise to move out there without having a job lined up, if not how does one go about applying for jobs in OZ while in Ireland? (is it straight forward apply and send cv)

2. Would ye advise in trying to get a 'trade' job first, work hard and hope that i get sponsored or start with the regional work then go do the 'trade' work.

Don't worry about the Military rule in Thailand, at all..

I say go for it in Oz without a job lined up, I did, twice. If you're going with a few bob and want a bit of a holiday, there'll plenty time to find work once you take care of your spending. Head for a hostel, buy a van & hit the road!

Go and see a bit of the country first, have a look for some regional work while you're on the road (a lot of cattle stations use helicopters/small planes on site - I'm sure a knowledgeable aircraft technician would fit in well for a few months) - then hit up your bread and butter work afterwards and see where it takes you.

In terms of which cities to start in, really a matter of choice, but take note of the Seasons, if you arrive in Melbourne in July, it's not going to be the Home and Away experience you'll have imagined :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Have you looked into getting an electrical licence over here? Without that it can be quite difficult to get a job as an electrician. Also if your background is purely on aircraft it may be difficult for you to obtain the licence. I'm not trying to put you off...just giving you the heads up. It a fairly time consuming and quite expensive process to get the licence. I got mine in 2008 and the system has changed since then and I haven't really kept up with it but as far as I can see they've made it more difficult to get the licence.
    This forum has some really good information:
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97/
    This link may be of help too:
    https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/electricians-licence-application-overseas-otsr
    The best advice I can give you is that if you want to work as an electrician in Australia then try and do as much of the paperwork as you can before getting on the plane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement