Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Games Vs Downloads?

Options
  • 15-12-2015 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Sorry if this is obvious to some but am new to PS4 & I keep seeing people on here mentioning that they'd prefer to download a game rather than buy an actual disc.

- What's the advantage? Apart from saving on fuel costs and not having to go outdoors and brave the bad weather!

Surely its better to have an actual game in your hand that you can sell, trade, lend to friends and family?

- Does this not more than compensate for making a slight saving on a digital download???

:confused:

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi there,

Sorry if this is obvious to some but am new to PS4 & I keep seeing people on here mentioning that they'd prefer to download a game rather than buy an actual disc.

- What's the advantage? Apart from saving on fuel costs and not having to go outdoors and brave the bad weather!

Surely its better to have an actual game in your hand that you can sell, trade, lend to friends and family?

- Does this not more than compensate for making a slight saving on a digital download???

Thanks

Joe

I would have always been an advocate for buying a physical copy.

I'm particularly fond of physical copies of Nintendo console games.

Having said that I've recently found myself swayed by ps plus sales.

Got dark souls 2 for €25 and saints row 4 for €12 I think.

My thinking was they're cheap enough and I won't have to change the disc. Yes I am that lazy.

I'm considering street fighter V as a download when it launches as I'll never sell it and it'll mean again I won't need to change in and out a disc.

It's hard to justify buying digital over physical though on launch otherwise imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks

Joe

Personally I converted to digital downloads with the PS4, I always bought physical for the PS3, now I struggle to think why I would go back.

To me we get this conversation every time something trends towards digital content (why would I download a book when I can have a physical copy, why would I download an album when i can have a physical copy etc). When the kindle first came out I was staunchly against it, now after having a kindle for a couple of years, I just couldn't go back.

The reality is there are pros and cons to both so you pick your poison,

The cost to me is not a pro on either because you will see bargains in both physical and digital copy.

Some Pros of Physical:
    You can swap your games with your friends and family
    There is a value associated with trading in (Although realistically only good value if you trade within the first month or so of release - good if you buy a game and take an instant dislike to it or if you are the kind that completes a game quick and wants to gets rid)
    Can buy second hand copies very cheap.
    Much easier to play on another console.
    Don't have to wait for game to download - with slow connections or low download limits this can be extremely important.
    You can shop around for cheaper copies. The PS Store has no competition.

Some Pros of digital:
    No wear and tear on disk or blu-ray drive
    Easy Switching between games without having to swap disks around
    Kids don't leave games out to get wrecked / dirtied - no disks to be cleaned.
    Can play on more than one console at the same time (Some limitations to this but it can be done)
    For new games, no chance of not being able to find a copy in the shops. PS Store does not run out of digital copies.
    No looking around shops for copies of older games.
    Much neater - Don't have to worry about storing all those physical games
    If your blu ray player dies, you can still play your games.

I am sure there are pros I haven't thought of on either but those would be my main considerations. The one thing is though, you don't have to pick one and stick to it, you can decide on each game on its own merits.

Big reason for me that is you can buy one digital game and then 2 people can play it on two different consoles.
    So myself and my brother take turns buying games we fancy and it pretty much works out as a 2 for 1 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

I like buying games since my internet sucks. If your internet is decent then digital games are definitely the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Big reason for me that is you can buy one digital game and then 2 people can play it on two different consoles.
    So myself and my brother take turns buying games we fancy and it pretty much works out as a 2 for 1 situation.

I do the same with my brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Call me lazy but the idea of getting off the couch to change a game disk just seems like a pain in the face. The beauty of this generation and a good chunk of the last is that this no longer needs to be done.

In saying that, I never buy full price (even nearly)new games so losing value on trade-ins doesn't come into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

theteal wrote: »
    Call me lazy but the idea of getting off the couch to change a game disk just seems like a pain in the face. The beauty of this generation and a good chunk of the last is that this no longer needs to be done.

In saying that, I never buy full price (even nearly)new games so losing value on trade-ins doesn't come into the equation.

Im the same, happy to let games such as Rayman drop to 11 euros and pick it up now than when it first came out and pay full price, I only buy games new when Im buying them with my brother/friends so as then im not paying full price either

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I still buy discs and only ps + and steam games are digital.

My reasoning behind it is I like to keep the box, the changing of disc doesn't bother me as I only ever play one game at a time and I have a feeling after this generation is well done and dusted downloads won't play without an Internet connection (this may not be true for psn) so I feel slightly safer having the disc.

Advertisement