Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker power not coming on

Options
  • 15-12-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi All,

I am looking for some pointers as to what might be causing my cooker not to power on. I used the oven for a number of hours this afternoon without issue but nothing is working at all now. When I was using it last it was purely to heat something so I think it probably stopped working just before I went to take the food out / switch it off. There is an individual socket beside the cooker switch which is working fine so I am not sure if this would be affected if there was a socket issue. The fuse board looks like this :

Cooker Boards pic.jpg

and I don't know how I would check if the issue is here. (I looked to see if the switch was down).

The cooker is a Tricity Bendix Marquis 12+ years old

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

is the timer holding it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does the hob work? Is there a light on the wall switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nightingale

There isn't a timer on it.
    The hob isn't working. I tried all rings individually (one hasn't worked for years as the element is snapped). I also tried the grill but nothing.
    One thing is that there has been a bit of a smell coming from the oven for the last little while. I had managed to let a plastic container touch off the side of the oven and it melted but that was two weeks ago. The smell was more of a metallic one - it's hard to describe.
    There isn't a light on the wall switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

switch the cooker switch on and off a few times

meercat wrote: »
    switch the cooker switch on and off a few times

Okay I tried that then after that I then turned the oven on and the oven light actually came on then there was a hiss/ slight crackle and it went off again. Sound seemed to come from the middle of the back of the cooker then it went off. Have done the same again a few times and it is not coming on again and hob neither.

• Advertisement

Okay I tried that then after that I then turned the oven on and the oven light actually came on then there was a hiss/ slight crackle and it went off again. Sound seemed to come from the middle of the back of the cooker then it went off. Have done the same again a few times and it is not coming on again and hob neither.

burnt out connection in the cooker switch
    need to replace it

sorry
    you seem to think the noise came from the cooker

check the connection where cable is terminated into the cooker first so

meercat wrote: »
    sorry
    you seem to think the noise came from the cooker

check the connection where cable is terminated into the cooker first so

Yes the sound came from back part of cooker where the dials are. I have just had a look and I can see that there is a panel there so I guess that is where the power supply goes in.
    Cooker back.jpg

Sorry meant to include this - front part of the area I have just shown:
    Cooker dials.jpg

• Advertisement

looks more like a tumble dryer

make sure mains power is off before you go near it

Thanks Meercat :) - it is pretty old but worked well up to now. I wasn't planning on going near it myself - so hopefully I can get someone out to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind that a similar new cooker would be less than €300 if considering repair

Advertisement