Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV routed to Stack System - hum from hi-fi amplifier

Options
  • 15-12-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

hi all - I've got a LG Plasma TV and I wanted to route the TV sound through my Aiwa Stack system the TV has no earphone socket only an optical out socket, but then LG informed me that the optical audio output is at fixed level and i wanted to be able to turn the TV volume up and down with the TV remote.

So today i took the back off the TV took out the speakers and soldered a pair of phono leads onto the speaker wires . All well and good. But when I put the TV into standby now there is an annoying hum through the stack system / amplifier speakers - The Hum goes away when the TV is turned on, I absolutely made sure I soldered the earth wires of the phono leads onto the "-" of the speaker cable .Anyone have any ideas to earth it so it dont hum when the TV is put into standby? - These little units you can get from places like maplin or somewhere like that where you plug the phono leads into it and then it plugs into the amplifier will that get rid of the hum noise do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

So today i took the back off the TV took out the speakers and soldered a pair of phono leads onto the speaker wires.

That's where you went wrong. The speakers probably don't return to Supply ground and the load impedance will be way off - 8 Ohms V >10KOhms. A recipe for disaster and possibly dangerous.

Does the TV have a SCART socket ? That's where I would have started in the absence of a headphone socket or other line out facility. Most outputs will be Pre-Volume Control so the facility you're looking for might not be possible with your set.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ZENER wrote: »
    That's where you went wrong. The speakers probably don't return to Supply ground and the load impedance will be way off - 8 Ohms V >10KOhms. A recipe for disaster and possibly dangerous.

Does the TV have a SCART socket ? That's where I would have started in the absence of a headphone socket or other line out facility. Most outputs will be Pre-Volume Control so the facility you're looking for might not be possible with your set.

Ken

Thanks for the reply ken. Dangerous in what way, short circuit audio board in the TV? - no, I tried scart way but obviously set volume out and would not turn volume up and down when i used TV remotes volume button. What a shame LG just could not have put a headphone socket on this TV or even variable volume through the optical out, then at least i could have got maybe a soundbar with optical input and turn it up and down through TV remote or got an optical to analogue adaptor

Advertisement