Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constipation 1yr old

Options
  • 15-12-2015 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

My DD is not drinking enough and in turn gets constipated. She was never very fond of the bottle, she's down to one 9oz bottle in the morning & 8oz in the evening. Might take an oz or two during the day but that's it! We have tried everything to get getting drink more & it's not happening! We've tried getting orange juice, prune juice, water with brown sugar but she will take a sip and spit it out!

Any help / advice greatly appreciated 😘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Is it the bottle and not the contents that's the problem? Could you try some sippy cups etc? Different juices maybe? You could water them down a bit so they're not so sugar-heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

Puréed fruit also helps, pears,apples or pineapple even. When my DD was a bit stuck pears and strawberries seemed to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

BlueLass wrote: »
    Puréed fruit also helps, pears,apples or pineapple even. When my DD was a bit stuck pears and strawberries seemed to do the trick.

That's true. I was told a pear a day would do no harm (also had a very constipated baby a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Mix pureed prunes into her porridge at breakfast time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son had chronic constipation until about a year ago (and we still have to keep an eye on his diet/toilet habits in case it comes back). Try to avoid carrots/rice/bananas on the same day as these are all very constipating. (My son loves bananas and now he says "Oh I did a poo today so I can have a banana for desert! :) )
    As said before fruit and veg are good for helping. Courgettes and pears are particularly effective.
    Weetabix works for my fella too (although I have heard that they shouldn't eat too much of it as too much is constipating, don't know how true that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My one year old is the same.
    Try different cups. Leave them around so your baby can access them all the time. Also try open cups with your help. Novelty of different cups is great. I'd stick with water or diluted juice. My fella is off formula now which helped, he has a bottle of oatmilk before his nap and before bed.

We found oranges, raspberries and prunes help.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Thanks everyone.

Tried the prunes yesterday & bingo!!! She did a poo in the bath yesterday evening!

Will persist with the different sippy cups and see how the drinking goes.

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

tracey1098 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

Tried the prunes yesterday & bingo!!! She did a poo in the bath yesterday evening!

Will persist with the different sippy cups and see how the drinking goes.

Thanks a mill.

Delighted it (please pardon the pun) worked out ok. :o
    When my little girl went though phases of being constipated (usually tied in with a change in her diet - onto solids, a wider variety of solid food, etc) I gave her the prunes in her porridge (granted only a little bit just to prevent constipation reoccurring) every morning for a while.
    Now there is no need at all.
    That said she is a great girl to drink water. She guzzles it all day.

Advertisement