Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relief milking

• 15-12-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Have many of Ye milked two heards during the week ie done 4 milkings a day, 20 over a 5 day week, was it hard or was it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Have many of Ye milked two heards during the week ie done 4 milkings a day, 20 over a 5 day week, was it hard or was it worth it?

Do most farmers not milk around the same time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Its only worth it if the farms are nearby
    Add lots of diesel and its not

No all farmers do not milk at the same time
    Near me,430,530, and a few 630's and anytime from 5 to 9 in the mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Definitely the further east u go the earlier they milk, nothing unusual with starting evening milking after 7 here in the summer, have a few neighbours who are a lot later than me as well!

Definitely possible to do it, and a v good earner as well, but u must be v disciplined with ur time keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Chap near me milks at 12noon and usually after 10pm ha. Another lad 20mins away is supposedly so ad hoc with his milking times the cows often end up on 13 or even 12milkings a week haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Definitely the further east u go the earlier they milk, nothing unusual with starting evening milking after 7 here in the summer, have a few neighbours who are a lot later than me as well!

Always Milked at 7:20 am and 5:20 pm (clusters on) here when we were milking. And we were considered early for the evening milking at that. Noticed that about the further east you go the earlier start. Is there any reason for that.

Always Milked at 7:20 am and 5:20 pm (clusters on) here when we were milking. And we were considered early for the evening milking at that. Noticed that about the further east you go the earlier start. Is there any reason for that.

Gentlemen farmers, rough fcukers out west!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Protestant influence down the east..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Used to to a good bit of relief milking. Once did four evening milkings including a bit of travel.

The last herd was our own . Started at 3 and was finished at one am.

Its all grand untill something goes wrong in a place. Two morning and two evening milkings would be grand if near to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Willfarman wrote: »

What breed of cows are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭joe man utd

Here when cows are out full-time they are milked at 5.30 am and 4.30pm.. crossing a busy main road.. so I guess a relief milker could do 2 herds ...but hey may be wrecked😴😴😴

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

It gets brighter earlier and darker earlier in the east😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

As someone else said its grand when everything goes ok , but most times if a milker was heading somewhere else after here they were rushing and things wouldnt be done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Willfarman wrote: »

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Jesus that would drive me cracked, I like to start and finish early.

Does that make me a Protestant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

It'll be 6 am starts and 3 pm starts here next yr if we don't get this job done on parlour.
    Must be the protestant coming out in me ;)

Il come to love coffee I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

+1 gone outbid yard by 6 is my aim or earlier .......ohh and I'm not a Protestant !!!!!

We spend all day drawing rock into bogholes with dump trailers, if we had to stop and go for the cows at 5, it would make the day v short. Any machine driver that ever works will drive until 7 as well. The lads building here at the moment finished at 7 yesterday evening and were back at 8 this morning. It's really not unusual around here.
    It's a lot better than having unionised guys here always watching the clock!

We spend all day drawing rock into bogholes with dump trailers, if we had to stop and go for the cows at 5, it would make the day v short. Any machine driver that ever works will drive until 7 as well. The lads building here at the moment finished at 7 yesterday evening and were back at 8 this morning. It's really not unusual around here.

Relevance to relief milking = zero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

mahoney_j wrote: »
    +1 gone outbid yard by 6 is my aim or earlier .......ohh and I'm not a Protestant !!!!!

Ah but your following the Protestant farmers rule book!
    Ah changed times now but my fathers generation it was shameful not to have your work done by 6 o'clock. Bar hay making calving lambing and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

cows milked at 4pm here all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

mf240 wrote: »
    What breed of cows are they?
    They would be Londondairy cows my friend. haha

some folks near me milk at 2.30/3 am and 2.30/3pm. most half 6 half 4 rule of thumb.
    hashing about til near 7pm before milking is a balls. no need to be messing about the yard til 9-10 every night

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Fullback333

What time do you think you should be starting the first herd in the morning and what time in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Done this for a while sometimes had 5 milkings a day. Just let the farmer know you might get held up but u will def milk. Oftentimes they are so happy to have someone reliable to milk for them they don't mind. Used be on the road at 4.15 some mornings, milking intervals of 8-9 hrs if possible between morning and evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Are you planning on doing it with the FRS? Or solo?
    If your going solo what are you planning on charging per milking?

Through Frs most likely, get around 35e per milking from them, wouldn't have the contacts to do it solo

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Did it plenty of times in the farm relief years ago. Its fine until something goes wrong and you get delayed in one place. Had a farmer pretty annoyed I was only bringing in the cows at 9am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Through Frs most likely, get around 35e per milking from them, wouldn't have the contacts to do it solo

You'll probably need to do a training day with them before they give you milkings
    There's a charge for that I think,try and get them to pay for it because after all they will be getting a margin of maybe 15%+ on what you get for just a few phone calls

Im starting this Friday relief milking, hopefully ill be practised enough by summer so I can make some real money (college student)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Im starting this Friday relief milking, hopefully ill be practised enough by summer so I can make some real money (college student)
    what part of the country are you in?

North Carlow

Have u much experience in milking cows?

Have u much experience in milking cows?

A small bit, im from a suckler background, I did the milking course with FRS

A small bit, im from a suckler background, I did the milking course with FRS

U better learn to walk before u run.
    I admire ur enthusiasm, but it's not as easy as throwing clusters at cows and collecting ur money, u need to have ur wits about u.
    See how u get on with ur first few milkings, u might be sick of it by nxt wk!

Ive always liked the cows, only time will tell though, I know a lad that went straight into doing 4 milkings a day, when he left college, he had no real experience before he started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

U better learn to walk before u run.
    I admire ur enthusiasm, but it's not as easy as throwing clusters at cows and collecting ur money, u need to have ur wits about u.
    See how u get on with ur first few milkings, u might be sick of it by nxt wk!

We had a FRS milker here back when I was only a young teenager, my god they were utterly useless, supposedly had milked before, but had zero confidence in themselves to get the job done, was definitely the 1st time they were in our make of a parlour anyways. I had to basically hold their hand all week, my dad would have been better off just paying me instead haha. That alongside one or 2 other incidents with Frs milkers has turned us right off using the FRS 2bh.

Do the FRS give training to people usually before they send them out? Or at least even verify that they have the experience that they say they do? Anyways, to the OP, if I were you I'd find any local dairy farmer, and tell him you want to learn how to milk, ask him if he'd be willing to let you help out milk for a few days for free, it would be very useful training for you, and will give you a good idea of if you like it or not. From the farmers point of view, unless he already has a few relief milkers, he should have no real issue doing this, as he would know there is a decent chance of getting a local relief milker out of it.

That's I actually what I did I worked with a couple of farmers for nothing to gain experience, I was talking to the farmer im going to start with and I told him that id do of extra milkings to get used to his system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

your late because youre all day opening bales:D.seven would be my time too but trying to pull it earlier.our cows would be unusuall in that the day gap is longer than the night gap

keep going wrote: »
    your late because youre all day opening bales:D.seven would be my time too but trying to pull it earlier.our cows would be unusuall in that the day gap is longer than the night gap

Totally agree, often feel that cows will eat 2/3's in the day, and 1/3 in the night of their 24hr allowance of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PLW17

Going rates for milking 470 cows through a rotary parlour followed by 600 cubicles. Other thing On during the week so mainly weekend work. Well capable. Help feed calves also at times. Milking is about three and a half hours at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Gentlemen farmers, rough fcukers out west!

It's the poetic streak in us.

Robert Frost used to milk his cows at mid night or later.

Advertisement