Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to buy an iPhone off Adverts/Done Deal?

Options
  • 15-12-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is the only section I could think would be appropriate.
    So I want to get an iphone but I would like one that is fairly up-to-date (as in most recent models), so that it will do me for a few years but I wouldn't be able to afford a brand new one so I was thinking of buying one off a person on adverts, done deal, those type of websites etc.. (as even exchange shops like cex are a bit too pricey), however I'm just worried about how safe this is in the long run, eg if something goes wrong with the phone). Nearly everyone I know has bought their phones in this way (off a private seller off done deal), so I'd consider it the "normal" thing to do, but I'm just worried as there's obviously no warranty/guarantee, right? Do you have any rights if you purchase an iphone this way?

Things like the screen cracking I know would be my fault and I'd have to pay for it myself, but I mean if something actually goes wrong with the software of the phone etc, I couldn't just take it into the shop I bought it in like I would now with my current phone. So, has anyone here ever done this, as nearly everyone I know has, and how safe is it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Main things to worry about are is it stolen or is it fake. You would have to have never seen a working iPhone in your life to fall for a fake. As for stolen if you can get one where the seller has the original receipt and box/manuals there's a good chance it's not stolen. You have pretty much no rights in a private sale so buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Buy from adverts and not done deal. Buy from someone with feedback. Buy with someone has has the receipt with the phone. There is always a risk but this may lessen it. Someone can sell you a new iPhone. Box ect and then report it lost and get it blocked. They get a new one. U get shafted. Use your common sense. Try and collect from their house ect. I have followed these simple rules and haven't been burned yet. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

brightkane wrote: »
    Buy from adverts and not done deal. Buy from someone with feedback. Buy with someone has has the receipt with the phone. There is always a risk but this may lessen it. Someone can sell you a new iPhone. Box ect and then report it lost and get it blocked. They get a new one. U get shafted. Use your common sense. Try and collect from their house ect. I have followed these simple rules and haven't been burned yet. Good luck with your search.

I've sold 3 iPhones on adverts and ticked all these boxes. At the end of the day, I like to keep my 100% positive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

No way in he'll I would buy a phone off done deal or adverts...too dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

markc2951 wrote: »
    No way in he'll I would buy a phone off done deal or adverts...too dodge
    I have bought many off adverts 3 this Christmas alone. It's all about checking feedback, collecting from buyers home and testing the phone thoroughly. I would never buy a phone from DoneDeal EVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭dan786

Bought hundreds item off Adverts. Never had a problem as all were bought from people with good feedback.

Bought 1 item of Donedeal and it had a problem. Didnt really affect me as I managed to sell it for a bit of profit on Adverts advertising it with the problem. But never bought from Donedeal after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Bought a good few phones off adverts and donedeal. Never had a problem with either but prefer adverts because of the feedback but beware, even someone with good feedback could be bad seller, maybe never sold anything before but has good feedback from selling.
    Make sure everything is working before handing over cash. Call a friend on it make sure both can hear each other. Check mobile data works and wifi if possible. Send a text etc..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Moved from Bargain Alerts, apologies if this is the wrong section

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought and sold phones on adverts without an issue.

Caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lion1996

Thanks to everyone for the replies, will definitely only go with adverts after reading through the replies, thanks for all the tips hope to get it during the weekend and will make sure to check it thoroughly, thanks to everyone again, I definitely wouldn't have been as scrupilous as I will be had I not read these replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

massy086 wrote:
    I have bought many off adverts 3 this Christmas alone. It's all about checking feedback, collecting from buyers home and testing the phone thoroughly. I would never buy a phone from DoneDeal EVER

I understand the way it works,I have an account with over 20 positive and 0 negative but when it comes to a few hundred on a phone I'd do it the right way once

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SuperStar278

Main things to worry about are is it stolen or is it fake. You would have to have never seen a working iPhone in your life to fall for a fake. As for stolen if you can get one where the seller has the original receipt and box/manuals there's a good chance it's not stolen. You have pretty much no rights in a private sale so buyer beware.

You are right .If It's stolen or fake phone .I dont think it's a good idea to buy it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Bought an IPhone off Adverts previously, with no hassles. Just stay alert though!

Advertisement