Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yahoo has hijacked Chrome

• 15-12-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

This problem has only occurred since I upgraded to W10. Everytime I search on Google I am instantly re-directed to Yahoo. I've spent all evening searching for fixes. I've checked all my settings, removed all traces of Yahoo within settings. I've done a synch, cleared browsing history. I suspect it's malware so I updated and ran Malwarebytes and nothing :mad:
    Totally p1ssed off at this stage and I'm afraid to leave it in case it is a serious virus. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jos28 wrote: »
    This problem has only occurred since I upgraded to W10. Everytime I search on Google I am instantly re-directed to Yahoo. I've spent all evening searching for fixes. I've checked all my settings, removed all traces of Yahoo within settings. I've done a synch, cleared browsing history. I suspect it's malware so I updated and ran Malwarebytes and nothing :mad:
    Totally p1ssed off at this stage and I'm afraid to leave it in case it is a serious virus. Any ideas would be much appreciated

When you say "search on google" do you mean searching by typing directly in the Chrome address bar/omnibox? If sol have you checked that Google is your default search engine instead of Yahoo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

Google is definitely my default search engine. In the 'manage search engines' tab I removed every option except Google. I have Google.ie set as my home page. I've never had this problem until I upgraded to W10. I just let it automatically upgrade (not custom) and I think this Yahoo thingie just tagged on. I thought it was malware but I've done a couple of scans and nothing is showing up. I've read other sites and it's possibly something called Spigot :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Run AdwCleaner from here;
    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
    Let it do a scan (it's much quicker than MalwareBytes), when it's finished you can view what it's found in the tabs.
    Click Cleaning to remove them.

AdwCleaner is good at cleaning adware & browser hijacks.

Moon54 wrote: »
    Run AdwCleaner from here;
    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
    Let it do a scan (it's much quicker than MalwareBytes), when it's finished you can view what it's found in the tabs.
    Click Cleaning to remove them.

AdwCleaner is good at cleaning adware & browser hijacks.

OK - I'm nearly afraid to type it, but I think that may have worked. Lots of lovely google tabs open and not a sign of feckin Yahoo. Fingers crossed......

Please take a bow Moon, problem sorted ! Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Have this problem too

It's head wrecking. I tried all sorts of things and the only thing that worked was Moon'w advice. Give it a go

Advertisement