Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Stanley.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

very sad news. best of luck folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Terrible news for the employees out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Terrible news this time of year and yet everyday we're hearing of big job announcements everywhere else.

Recovery my arse - wait till the politicians knock on my door - especially Deasy, Coffey and Conway - useless muppets

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Terrible news this time of year and yet everyday we're hearing of big job announcements everywhere else.

Recovery my arse - wait till the politicians knock on my door - especially Deasy, Coffey and Conway - useless muppets

a deeply difficult time of year for families to be dealing with this news

wait till the interest rates start rising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Terrible to have to go home and tell your family at Christmas time that you've just lost your job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Am i right in saying that it's mainly assembly operation now in Ireland? The parts and castings come in from the likes of China and are assembled here?
    Dissapointing to hear, I'd have thought a business like that would be seeing an upturn after the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

road_high wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that it's mainly assembly operation now in Ireland? The parts and castings come in from the likes of China and are assembled here?
    Dissapointing to hear, I'd have thought a business like that would be seeing an upturn after the recession.

you are correct, casting done abroad, i know they tried china, but i dont think it worked out, something tells me Spain...

not competitive in the market, seem to be more expensive than other high quality models..

road_high wrote: »
    .....I'd have thought a business like that would be seeing an upturn after the recession.

so whats the problem? how come some businesses are still struggling? how come many families are still struggling? whats wrong, as something really isnt right at all, for some anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

They have a bad product apparently, i was going to buy a stove last year, the three shops i went to warned me off stanely saying that they are not very good!

If the retailers dont want to sell them, then the manufacture will suffer.

They have a bad product apparently, i was going to buy a stove last year, the three shops i went to warned me off stanely saying that they are not very good!

Have one at home and find it excellent, High quality and solid. There is a load of different models out now so competition would be fierce. Ireland can be tough place to make heavy, low tech goods like these I'd say.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so whats the problem? how come some businesses are still struggling? how come many families are still struggling? whats wrong, as something really isnt right at all, for some anyway?

There's a whole myriad of possibilities and answers I'm sure. Individual circumstances etc. Even in the better times some businesses can falter regardless. The market takes no prisoners.
    I hope they can survive as they have a good name and brand and good product in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Can't they get a taxpayer bailout like the banks did?

and so over priced compared to similar products....
    when i went to get mine a couple of years ago, i had stanley in my head as being what i wanted, but it was literally 50% more than a similar product....

couldnt justify that price difference

robtri wrote: »
    and so over priced compared to similar products....
    when i went to get mine a couple of years ago, i had stanley in my head as being what i wanted, but it was literally 50% more than a similar product....

couldnt justify that price difference

this is big problem folks! if we keep abandoning our irish businesses, we ll all eventually be on the dole!

but i do understand where you're coming from. houston, we have a problem!

this is big problem folks! if we keep abandoning our irish businesses, we ll all eventually be on the dole!

nope bought another Irish Brand....

robtri wrote: »
    nope bought another Irish Brand....

fair play ta yea. what brand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

'The demand is not there for factory workers' http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-demand-is-not-there-for-factory-workers-30330766.html

fiachr_a wrote: »

Depends on the area and products. Areas like food, pharma, higher tech and added value yes.
    Companies making products that can be produced cheaper and better elsewhere, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

fiachr_a wrote: »

And a lot of factory jobs have been automated.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    And a lot of factory jobs have been automated.

i think you're both right. automation is an issue for the general workforce. the factory i use to work in is moving more and more towards automation. the workforce is very small there now relative to what it was some years ago. its sad to see manufacturing slowly leaving this country. service jobs aint good in general for people's mental well being. money generally isnt great either compared to manufacturing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

We purchased a stove about 2 years ago now at this stage and when we got speaking to the dealer he said there was about 6-8 Irish brands going at one stage that were all sourcing out of China, but once they recession hit they died off, but in the mean time they'd cut the arse out of the market, they were cheap stoves for a reason.

fair play ta yea. what brand?

sorry wasnt online...

Boru.... very nice and no problems with it at all....

Advertisement