Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused as to size (Oh matron)

Options
  • 16-12-2015 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I have an MSI Z97M Gaming. There are some silly prices on R9-290s at the moment, one of which I have, cooled by an XSPC full cover block. I'm thinking of getting another and putting them in x-fire but it just doesn't look like there would be enough distance between the cards.

There's a 4 x slot in the middle surely with a 2 slot flow bridge they'd fit? Any ideas? Just looks too tight to me.

The other complication is it would completely cover my 850 Evo M.2. I know the 950 gets stupidly hot - does the 850 need air flow?

Thanks as always guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've had cards under water directly beside one another and they're fine. Cards under water don't need airflow, so I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

As for the M.2 drive, I dunno. I'll leave that to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Serephucus wrote: »
    I've had cards under water directly beside one another and they're fine. Cards under water don't need airflow, so I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

As for the M.2 drive, I dunno. I'll leave that to someone else.

There is an X4 slot between the two PCIe 16x slots but it just doesn't look like there is physical room between the flow header (for want of a better term - the sticky out bit that the fittings and tubes go into). I just wondered if there was some mad spacing on mATX boards or you needed a board with atleast 3 16X PCIe slots.

Perhaps I'm just over thinking it and the flow bridge will be very small.

As for air flow true, but I always try and get a bit of flow in there for the VRMs but that wasn't really what I meant sorry for the confusion. Thanks for replying!

Damn people selling R9 290s for under €200 on adverts! :pac:

Ok, so you have the following in terms of slot layout on the motherboard:
    ================ (x16)
    ====             (x4)
    ================ (x16)

Which means the cards would be directly beneath one another, if they were using air coolers, and "sort of" have a slot between them, because the waterblocks are only a slot thick.

If this is what's going on, it's fine. It can be a bitch to get the tubing/fittings on to setups like that*, but it's grand for the cards.

*Pro-tip: Fit the blocks to both cards, figure out and fit the length of tubing you need, and do all the assembly outside the case. When you're finished, insert the cards+tubing assembly into the motherboard in one go. It's by far the easiest way to do this.

I'm pretty sure tubing wouldn't fit. In fact I'm certain with my compression fittings. I was going to buy one of these.

Thanks for all your help, sorry to be a noob. It's difficult when you've no dimensions on anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

That will do the job and as Serephucus said put the bridge on the cards first and then install then as one.

Thanks to you both.

Anyone any thoughts on covering the SSD - which sits between the slots.

Having looked at the board, it shouldn't really make much difference. There isn't really anything else in the way, assuming you have some front air intake.

(If you only had intake on the bottom it might be an issue because of the second card being in the way)

Serephucus wrote: »
    Having looked at the board, it shouldn't really make much difference. There isn't really anything else in the way, assuming you have some front air intake.

(If you only had intake on the bottom it might be an issue because of the second card being in the way)

Side intake and front out-take. Made of plywood and chip board :pac:

With side intake I can't imagine you'd have any problems at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement