Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is mullingar still a dangerous place?

• 16-12-2015 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi there I'll be moving to mullingar soon and I heard a lot of bad stories about the place, I'm wondering has it gotten any better recently? What areas should I avoid and is the drug use big there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

As with any city/town across the world, you'll find rough areas, but Mullingar as a whole is a very safe town, the auld fellas will tell you Patrick Street is a rough area, but like I said, every town has it's rough areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

There are far, far worse towns in Ireland than Mullingar

I would say that 95% of the town is perfectly normal

Westmeath as a whole is completely safe when compared to a lot of other counties, I can't even remember the last time a Westmeath town came up in the news regarding any severe trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Where are you moving in Mullingar? I never heard of it being dangerous, and I'm from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

Natonstan wrote: »
    Westmeath as a whole is completely safe when compared to a lot of other counties, I can't even remember the last time a Westmeath town came up in the news regarding any severe trouble.

Except the traveller fighting. That comes up a bit for Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Mullingar is very safe and was never otherwise.

Apart from the one high profile incident a few years ago (perpetrated from people from outside the town I believe), and an odd traveller feud, I can't understand why anyone would get the impression it is unsafe?

I would class may other town of it's size in the country as more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

budgemook wrote: »
    Except the traveller fighting. That comes up a bit for Mullingar.

That's the biggest and almost the only problem in Mullingar. Ruins a few other towns in the midlands as well, Athlone and Ballinasloe to name two. Terrible that such a minority of people are allowed to have such a detrimental effect on others quality of life while the Gardai do nothing and the government and the PC brigade just stick their heads in the sand and pretend that the problem doesn't really exist......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Long Gone wrote: »
    That's the biggest and almost the only problem in Mullingar. Ruins a few other towns in the midlands as well, Athlone and Ballinasloe to name two. Terrible that such a minority of people are allowed to have such a detrimental effect on others quality of life while the Gardai do nothing and the government and the PC brigade just stick their heads in the sand and pretend that the problem doesn't really exist......

Having lived in all three of the above mentioned towns I'd highly rate mullingar as a place to live. Pub scene and live music is great. Variety of places to eat. and get out and about into the surrounding areas and villages. Lovely lakes, walks and countryside in general. Most estates near the hospital and st Finians school are fine. Lakepoint, petitswood, Ardmore rd lovely too.

The travellers that cause the problems actually come in from outside from Mullingar.
    some come over from the UK to cause problems

Having lived in all three of the above mentioned towns I'd highly rate mullingar as a place to live. Pub scene and live music is great. Variety of places to eat. and get out and about into the surrounding areas and villages. Lovely lakes, walks and countryside in general. Most estates near the hospital and st Finians school are fine. Lakepoint, petitswood, Ardmore rd lovely too.

Petitswood is definitely a nice area, I have a cousin that lives on the estate, always seems very quiet and tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

I'm moving to Dalton Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bonesy. wrote: »

Hahahaha

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    The travellers that cause the problems actually come in from outside from Mullingar.
    some come over from the UK to cause problems

Are you really certain that none of the troublemakers live in Mullingar ? ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Bonesy. wrote:

Any were but Dalton park or grange,I'm in mullingar regularly and have relations there..a lot of the travelling community in it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AshfieldM10

The town is very good. I am delighted with the new cycle path that was opened recently.
    I use it a bit for jogging and cycling. I'd love to see a multinational setup and create jobs.
    There is a good population of highly skilled people who would love to work local instead of commuting daily to Dublin or elsewhere for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Is dalton park that bad?

The town is very good. I am delighted with the new cycle path that was opened recently.
    I use it a bit for jogging and cycling. I'd love to see a multinational setup and create jobs.
    There is a good population of highly skilled people who would love to work local instead of commuting daily to Dublin or elsewhere for work.

Couldn't agree more with the much needed job creation, my family is from Milltownpass (just outside Westmeath) and as an IT professional the opportunities in Westmeath and the midlands in general are terrible, you'd have to commute to Dublin every day, I ended up landing a job in the US so I've been out here for almost 2 years now, but I would move back to the midlands in a heartbeat if I could get a job back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

That's the biggest and almost the only problem in Mullingar. Ruins a few other towns in the midlands as well, Athlone and Ballinasloe to name two.

Was wondering how long it would take for Athlone to get dragged into this.

The above statement is totally untrue as regards Athlone.

This scale of this traveller problem is unique to Mullingar.

Happy Christmas :D

martin1 wrote: »
    Was wondering how long it would take for Athlone to get dragged into this.

The above statement is totally untrue as regards Athlone.

This scale of this traveller problem is unique to Mullingar. Happy Christmas :D

What exactly are you saying is totally untrue as regards Athlone ? Are you really trying to say that there are absolutely no traveller related problems in Athlone ? ? !

What exactly are you saying is totally untrue as regards Athlone ? Are you really trying to say that there are absolutely no traveller related problems in Athlone ? ? !

I always considered Athlone to be worse off than Mullingar, then again I've not been in the town for 2 years so I wouldn't know the current situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Isnt that where the Mini riot was a few years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3-4OcjJlY

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Isnt that where the Mini riot was a few years ago?
    QUOTE]

I don't think he could've picked a rougher area to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Mullingar is well policed because it is a divisional headquarters. It genuinely has no worse problems than any other medium sized town.
    Being from Mullingar and now living in Clonmel, both towns have had their reputation sullied in the past by crime but it's usually an confluence of events that brings the media gaze, with all the fairness and balance :rolleyes: that they are known for.

Don't worry.

And to emphasise the point, the new cycleways are superb and are a fantastic addition to the town.

both Athlone and Mullingar have their dodgy spots.
    likes any large towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hondar

mullingar is full of knackers,all you will get in it is drink and fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Just, don't...

I was just back home to Westmeath for Christmas/New Year, spent many days out in Mullingar and it seems to be a great place these days, everyone is very friendly and I never came across any bad situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

The title oo this thread is completely ridiculous...

I moved to Mullingar from Dublin almost 20 years ago and have never seen any major trouble.

You go for a night out in town and the people are very friendly, you go shopping and yet again the people are friendly, you take your kids to the park and guess what..... Yes the people are friendly.

I wounder if the op is talking about a Mullingar in syira or Iran ( if it exist)

All in all its a nice town and I for one have no regrets

Advertisement