Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Santa bring all the presents from everyone at xmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

Santa got me my pressie's that were under the tree. (Santa still does! Mam still writes from Santa! :D) but my parents never got us things. Anything else was from family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

mckar wrote: »
    That's exactly what my partner said to me. But my problem is all my family drop up presents before xmas and after. Does Santa do the rounds for weeks in advance?

Well in our family all the presents were left before Christmas and then put under the tree Christmas Eve. This was only done with grandparents and my brothers and sisters ( for my kids) .
    I think I must be related to your OH as we are the only ones here that have done this :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

mckar wrote: »
    Having a debate with the other half our eldest Is 3. As my partner grew up with santa bringing all the presents from everyone for xmas including friends and family. I have never heard of this to me Santa bring some on xmas day and we all give each other presents from nanny uncles and so on. So I'm curious what other people's opinions are on this.

My God !!

The combinations is doing my head in !! poor santa ..
    This will have to be completely revised - http://www.cvaieee.org/html/humor/santa.html

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Hey, OP - I **have** heard of this before! :)

It was the first serious "cross-cultural" problem myself and the missus had to resolve. She'd been raised in the (English/Protestant-turned-Catholic?) tradition of having nothing under the tree until Christmas morning, at which point Father Christmas (none of your Santy nonsense, if you please :pac: ) would deliver everything, all beautifully wrapped and carefully arranged.

Well, that went completely against the tradition that I grew up with - the pile under the tree getting steadily bigger as we did the rounds of every aunt and uncle and godparent and some-old-woman-that-we-visit-every-year-at-Christmas in the weeks running up to the 25th. And then we'd come down to a hayp of stuff left by the fireplace, none of it wrapped, which was obviously from Santa.

My argument against MrsCR's way was that it wasn't fair on the relatives who had put a bit of thought into their gift not to get the credit, not to mention ourselves. MrsCR argued that it was more magical her way. We compromised on having "legitimate" family gifts under the tree, and the Santa presents and anything bought with the "buy something for the children" fiver, were neatly wrapped in red paper and appeared on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We only ever got our Santa gifts from Santa. Presents from other people were from the giver. However we almost always got those presents handed to us by the giver on Christmas Day or the 26th when we went to various family gatherings. I prefer it that way as I think that if everything comes from Santa it kind of dilutes the magic of Santa. So for us Christmas morning we only had presents from Santa and it wasn't until the afternoon at my grandmother's house that we started receiving other gifts. I like that as it means that the Santa presents have a few hours of being the exclusive star of the show. If my son has any presents from anyone who we won't be seeing over Christmas I like to keep them away until we can arrange to Skype with the giver on the 25th/26th and then I hide the present in the room and tell the giver where it is in advance, so they can tell my son to look in 'the blue box on the shelf' and he finds the present there. That way they can experience the joy of giving even if they aren't there.

Lastly, maybe your 3 year old is very different to mine but there isn't a chance in hell I could keep a wrapped gift under the tree for days before Christmas. He'd be on it and have it ripped open as soon as my back was turned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

iguana wrote: »
    He'd be on it and have it ripped open as soon as my back was turned.

Touch any one of those presents and Santa'll give every single one of yours to someone else. :mad:

Must be something I inherited from my mother - she refused to make the family home "child friendly" when we started providing her with grand-children, and ours never touch(ed) any of her ornaments.

The only time we every had a child mess up our Christmas corner was when MrsCR's brother brought his 4-year-old and his dog to visit. Both dog and child were badly behaved, but the child was worse and eventually pulled over the whole tree. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, invoking the "my house, my rules" law, I made him put it back up - on his own - and put every single decoration back in place. It took him about three hours.

He never came to visit again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

iguana wrote: »

Lastly, maybe your 3 year old is very different to mine but there isn't a chance in hell I could keep a wrapped gift under the tree for days before Christmas. He'd be on it and have it ripped open as soon as my back was turned.

I can safely say under my tree is bare but they are in presses upstairs the 3 year old is not to bad. My 2 year old on the other hand would ho to town on them I've a 10 month old aswel prerry sure she would do a job on them also, but they are seeing them coming in from people.

I do think this year they are all very young still not fully understanding it. We have talked about it and going to do it the way most kids here understand to avoid confusion in later years.

Advertisement