Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Powering Up - Help Needed

Options
  • 16-12-2015 5:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

The last time I built a PC was over 10 years ago.
    The last of my components came today & I got to building, but after carefully following all the steps - it's not powering up.
    There's a fan test button for the PSU which does spin the fan, a blue LED on the front lights up when the PSU is switched on.
    The case already had all of the motherboard standoffs in place.
    I didn't have an antistatic wriststrap but I was careful in my handling of the parts, and did it on a wooden table, discharging my hands on the wooden floorboards.
    Made sure all the necessary cables are properly inserted.
    It's possible the Mobo is DOA or got shorted.

I'll try again tmrw with just the CPU & one stick of ram - no GPU or HDD, maybe disconnect a couple of the case connectors eg Fan, front USBs too.

If I still can't figure it out : Perhaps someone might be around Drumcondra / Phibsboro & could take a look? I might be overlooking something simple.
    I'll buy you a beer! Thx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I assume you mean its not even reaching the BIOS?

Try and disconnect as much as possible and have it barebones.
    And I mean, motherboard without the CPU, no RAM, PSU and connections to the case. Speaking of which are they definitely wired up correctly? Those pins are fairly small and easy to get the wrong way around. If possible can you start it via the motherboard directly and even remove the chance that the case button/wires are broken. Was it a new case too?

If that still doesn't work then I would guess the motherboard was dead on arrival unfortunately.

If it does work start adding stuff and take it from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

The case (Fractal Design R5) doesn't have an internal speaker unfortunately & the motherboard (GA-Z170XP-SLI) doesn't seem to have any speaker or leds to indicate if it's running properly if I do remove everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Does the fan in the psu spin up when you push the power button?

As previously stated disconnect everything except one stick of ram, cpu and graphics card.

No, the PSU fan doesn't spin up (Corsair RM850i) - it's supposed to run silent below approx 350W draw. I wonder if it should still spin up initially though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No, the PSU fan doesn't spin up (Corsair RM850i) - it's supposed to run silent below approx 350W draw. I wonder if it should still spin up initially though.

As far as I know it should still spin up.

• Advertisement

Yeaaa! PSU & CPU fans are spinning - I think I either had the small power headers in wrong or insufficiently inserted (that's what she said). :p

Next issue I'm having is the GPU: I can get into BIOS with the GPU removed & just using the CPUs integrated graphics.
    I had it in the PCI Express x16 slot - which I presume is the slot 1 (in Bios initial display output can be set to IGFX, PCIe 1 slot, 2, 3) - I'm guessing slot 2 is the x8 & slot 3 is the x4

Should I just install Windows without it & try to tackle the GPU later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Next issue I'm having is the GPU: I can get into BIOS with the GPU removed & just using the CPUs integrated graphics.
    I had it in the PCI Express x16 slot - which I presume is the slot 1 (in Bios initial display output can be set to IGFX, PCIe 1 slot, 2, 3) - I'm guessing slot 2 is the x8 & slot 3 is the x4

Should I just install Windows without it & try to tackle the GPU later?

The bios should output automatically through the gpu once is seated and powered correctly.But just in case its not set it to PCIe 1 slot.
    Slot 1 will be the top one so you had it in the right slot.

Double check you had the power leads to the gpu fully inserted and the gpu seated fully so the little plastic tab clicks to hold it.

As for your psu's fan,the RM's wont spin up under light load so its normal for it not to spin when booting up.

thx for the help. the gpu was fully seated & both leads from the psu fully inserted. when inserted it again after windows was installed it was then recognised, i did use a different dvi port on the card at this point, not that it should make a difference - i had previously tried the other dvi & the hdmi on the gpu. so not sure why it didnt work...

anyway it's blazin away now, thx again :)

Advertisement