Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile insurance replacement policy

Options
  • 16-12-2015 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys ,

Wasn't having any luck getting any solid information so thought I'd try here.

So i took out phone insurance and recently cracked the screen where part of the screen. So since I had insurance I made the claim and sent off the phone to be repaired.

15 days later I see on the repair companies website that the phone was processed and sent out on the 3rd of December. I assumed that the phone was being sent to me so I waited for it. I waited 11 days and still no phone so i contacted the insurance company and they replied saying the phone is BER ( beyond economic repair) and they will give me a replacement phone.

Now at this point I've been without my mobile phone for just shy of 30 days !

But on the reply I was informed of the replacement policy of the company

1. This policy offers replacement only and is not a replacement as new policy. If the electronic gadgets cannot be replaced with identical electronic gadgets of the
    same age, colour and condition, we will replace it with one of comparable specification or the equivalent value taking into account the age and condition of the original electronic gadgets.
    2. In the event of a valid claim resulting in the replacement of the electronic gadgets, this policy will not automatically cover the item or items of replacement equipment during the remainder of the policy year in which the claim has been settled. However, the replacement electronic gadgets may be insured on payment of an additional premium, which will be proportionate to the value of the replacement equipment.

So my questions are really about my rights...
    • How is it decided on what comparable spec / equivalent value of the device is. For example I can find functioning phones from grey market in Hong kong for cheaper prices than that of those made in official factories
    • This item will not be new. Who decides if it is in good enough condition , what if there is a disagreement over the condition of the phone.
    • Since this item is not mine and not purchased by me , whats to stop the first owner of the device with a valid receipt blocking the IMEI number giving me no recourse of action on the phone.
    • By doing this they're effectively cancelling my insurance policy since they won't be covering the device they're replacing. Even in the FAQs -- " How many times can I claim on my policy in 12 month period? We offer unlimited repair and replacements on electronic gadgets. " Have I any right to compensation given I was led to believe that I was being given unlimited cover

And I know this is probably a sorry though luck type of deal , but given I was without a phone for so long ( currently 29 days and counting) is there any type of compensation. This seems absurd that they can dilly-dally for so long. Any time I contact them I just get told they will be in contact with me , but never do. Is there anything I can do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The last time I had insurance on a phone and had a phone replaced I was sent out a like for like new phone. The time before that I was sent out the market equivalent as my handset was discontinued. That was in the day of Nokia and Siemens bricks which were fairly cheap.

Certainly Apple often replace faulty handsets with refurbished handsets but these will be spotless phones that have been unwanted purchases or returns or phones with minor faults. In such cases they are all spotless, unlocked and they will work as they are 100% tested to buggary. I can't speak about Samsung or Sony or HTC but they may well do likewise. If they do then you'll get something that's up to it; you won't be getting some other shams knackered phone as its not worth their while.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These terms are all completely normal. Getting refurbished models these days is pretty standard, they will look like new (or close to it) but they aren't new. They will keep your original phone, fix it eventually and then it will be given to someone else as a refurb. The phone you are sending them isn't brand new so why would they send you a brand new one in exchange for it?

The point about an equivalent device is just if you have a phone that is hard to replace. An example might be that they don't have a silver iPhone to replace yours with so they will give you a grey one instead. If they don't have the Galaxy S6 available they will offer you the flagship HTC or something similar. They aren't going to offer you a 300 quid phone to replace a 1000 euro iPhone.

Did you not read the T+Cs before you took out the policy? They are pretty short and easy to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

thanks for the replies guys.

I guess my main issue wasn't with the refurbished phone itself rather what I do in future with it. It's just annoying that they claim in the policy and their FAQs about multiple replacements but by giving me this phone it effectively cancels my insurance

Also my other major grievance is the time it's taking them to "process" this entire thing. From when I sent off the phone it's been 29 days in total. It's a madness amount of time to be without a phone in this day and age. Like is there anyone I can complain to ?

Advertisement