Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Standard of Posting

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sup_dude wrote: »
    It's not really changing the rules though.

If you enforce them differently in different threads you're essentially changing the rules between threads. Threads going off topic is a problem (or not a problem depending on your view) regardless of whether it's an advice thread or a discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's not really changing the rules though.

It will look inconsistent, and there'll be another feedback thread about different rules. Not dismissing you at all, but others will have problems with what you proposed, and we can't ignore their concerns either.

@nesf, yep, that's a concern. If we come down too hard it puts off newer posters, a concern raised on this very thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

K-9 wrote:
    @nesf, yep, that's a concern. If we come down too hard it puts off newer posters, a concern raised on this very thread.

But if posters are being continously met with condescending attitudes, "witty" remarks and people giving them lectures on something they didn't ask about, it's going to be very off putting too. It'll become very intimidating to post. As I've said, this is already happening and examples of where it's being let away with are becoming more wide spread, and I feel is becoming a problem. I mean if reporting posts os going to fix this problem, you have to ask how it's becoming more noticable in the first place. I really don't think people are going to have a problem with a clamp down on the above on threads that are clearly looking for advice. I also don't see how it's making it harder for posters to post in when this is only a problem coming more frequent and not something that was seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But if posters are being continously met with condescending attitudes, "witty" remarks and people giving them lectures on something they didn't ask about, it's going to be very off putting too. It'll become very intimidating to post. As I've said, this is already happening and examples of where it's being let away with are becoming more wide spread, and I feel is becoming a problem. I mean if reporting posts os going to fix this problem, you have to ask how it's becoming more noticable in the first place. I really don't think people are going to have a problem with a clamp down on the above on threads that are clearly looking for advice. I also don't see how it's making it harder for posters to post in when this is only a problem coming more frequent and not something that was seen before.

I don't agree it was something not seen before, I'd say if you went back 7 or 8 years ago it was far worse.

I do agree though with the general point. From a modding point of view, reported posts would be important, on thread warnings and cards and bans for persistent offenders. Again reported posts would help mods there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement