Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Angling Regulations 2016

• 16-12-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

It's looking like catch-and-release only for the first 6 months next year, with a one fish limit for the second 6 months. Decision made at EU fisheries minister's meeting yesterday. No idea if we'll still have a closed season. At least they didn't go with the original proposal and close half the country to angling altogether...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi Zippy,

I'm lost on the significance of this. Could you explain more? Is it a case that the management of bass fishing has increased immensely? What was the reasoning for these new regs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hi Zippy,

I'm lost on the significance of this. Could you explain more? Is it a case that the management of bass fishing has increased immensely? What was the reasoning for these new regs?

I'd be interested to hear if bass fishing has increased but empirically I'd say it had reduced. I walk a bit of coast every day and used to see fisherman daily fishing for Bass in the last 18 months I've hardly seen any?

On the other hand I've no idea if commercially (illegal) bass catches have increased but suspect they have.

Edit> Sorry misread your post and missed that you asked about the management of bass fishing and not the amount of fish taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SeaFields wrote: »
    Hi Zippy,

The new regs are international, not Irish, and implemented by Europe. Ireland will have to introduce regulations to give effect to the European regs. They were introduced because of concerns over low bass stocks in northern Europe, although anglers seem to have been targeted far more than commercial fishermen. For instance, in the UK, inshore gillnetters were supposed to be banned from fishing for the first 6 months, but that was changed to just February and March, when they wouldn't be fishing much as the spawning fish are offshore, and their monthly quota was actually increased from 1 tonne to 1.3 tonnes per boat. Of course in Ireland we don't have legal commercial fishing so only anglers are being regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

To summarise: (Forgive the acronyms :) )

Bass are the only marine protected species in Ireland. There is no commercial fishing allowed in Irish controlled waters (12miles). It is illegal to offer Irish bass for sale. Anglers may retain 2 fish in any 24hrs – That is the current state of play with bass in Ireland.

ICES have declared bass in serious trouble. They have been fished below the safety margin.
    In 2015 the EU brought in emergency measures to reduce the fish caught:
    • Banned pelagic trawling up to May (Protecting the shoals of spawning fish in the English channel)
    • Bag limit of 3 fish for recreational anglers (RSA) (Our 2 fish limit is still the law of the land)
    • Limit of tonnage to be landed by each different type of commercial fishing
    • Raised minimum size from 36cm to 42cm (At 42cm scientists believe that a fish will have bred at least once)
    • Ban on commercial bass fishing in EU waters adjacent to Ireland

These measures largely ran out towards the end of 2015 and replacement emergency measures are to be put in place for 2016. Thereafter, 2017, a management plan is to be put in place.
    The proposed measures were:
    • Total Ban on all fishing, including recreational for first six months of 2016.
    • After that there would be a 1t limit on each commercial boat per month (Nontransferable).
    • Anglers 1 fish bag limit
    • Minimum size remains at 42cm
    • Retain the EU adjacent to Ireland ban

Lots of representation/lobbying later….
    The Fisheries meeting 14/15 Dec decided:
    • Six months C&R fishery for RSA
    • RSA 1 fish limit for Jul-Dec
    • Six month ban on most trawling
    • Due to heavy reliance on bass fishing for some there was concessions for “low-impact” commercial fishing: Only banned from Feb & Mar 2016.
    • Limit of 1.3t per boat other than the ban.
    • MLS 42cm
    • No commercial fishing EU waters adjacent to IE
    Eu decided that rod & Line/Long line fishing = low impact
    EU decided gill netting = Low impact

Where are we now:
    Irish RSA are happy enough. C&R fishery is grand.:)
    UK, FR, NL RSA are like savages! Shafted!:mad:
    Inshore commercials able to continue more or less as they wish while RSA must conserve the species. The pain is not being shared proportionately.

We will need confirmation on current local rules Eg: Closed season, 2 fish limit etc.

Oh... When EU regulations are published in the EU Journal they are then law - They are law here too! (As distinct from EU Directives).

This is a quick summary, I think I have covered the points.
    You might find more discussion over on Sea Angling Ireland.

Advertisement