Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill over Christmas

Options
  • 16-12-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I was planning on heading west for a few days over the Christmas and was hoping to have a night out which didn't involve going to the pub.

Very disappointed to see there are no plays this Christmas, where there were three competing drama groups over the same period last year.

What happened to them all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No idea but my mates was in one of the plays and its alot of time and effort. So maybe they gave it a break.

If you're around the 1st the RNLI do a new days swim in doogort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I shall be applauding them from the Strand. Hotel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

New Year's Day is very big in Achill.

The various pipe bands parade during the day, starting at Dooagh at 6 a..m,
    and parading thru the island

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jvm76

nuac wrote: »
    New Year's Day is very big in Achill.

The various pipe bands parade during the day, starting at Dooagh at 6 a..m,
    and parading thru the island

That's Paddy's Day.....

jvm76 wrote: »
    That's Paddy's Day.....

No, New Year is celebrated as described in Achill.

The same pipe bands also parade on St Patricks' Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I was talking about a night out, not getting up at 6 in the morning.
    I've heard enough pipe bands, thanks. :)

I was talking about a night out, not getting up at 6 in the morning.
    I've heard enough pipe bands, thanks. :)

Stay up the night before, with the help of the odd cup of tea or whatever. Help the pipers to tune up

The skirl of the pipes well before dawn will clear the mind for progress thru the island, starting at Dooagh at 6 a.m.

It is really a great day out.

To paraphrase Johnson ( or was it Boswell? ) if you are tired of pipe bands, you are tired of life itself.

Many Achill people work or have lived in Scotland, where NYD is bigger than Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

nuac wrote: »
    Stay up the night before, with the help of the odd cup of tea or whatever. Help the pipers to tune up

The skirl of the pipes well before dawn will clear the mind for progress thru the island, starting at Dooagh at 6 a.m.

It is really a great day out.

To paraphrase Johnson ( or was it Boswell? ) if you are tired of pipe bands, you are tired of life itself.

Many Achill people work or have lived in Scotland, where NYD is bigger than Christmas
    scotland for hogmany is on the to do list.

Advertisement