Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 15 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Ah sure just dont bother tackling him.

Night folks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Big Ben and Antonio Brown played amazingly (minus ben's two picks). It was a great game to watch and I'm glad the steelers won. :)

Wheaton has really stepped up recently too. Before Seattle there was talk of him moving on by next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

From this morning.

"NFL discussing discipline for Odell Beckham Jr. this morning, but based on conversations with league sources, a 1-game suspension is likely. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

For all that people complain about what players do off the field, I wish the NFL would hand out some proper punishments for what happens on the field. Beckham should be taking half a season off at least. 1 game ban is a mickey mouse ban, Norman could have been badly injured.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Half a season? they give out a slap on the wrist for performance enhancing drugs. You'd want to commit a murder on field before they'd consider that type of suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

He should be done for the season. That was a clear attack with malicious intent to spear a player which is a scumbag move. Its funny how many Giants are defending him across social media saying Norman started it. Even if Norman was starting any of it or jostling with him spearing someone in the head crosses every line in any rule book. Scumbag move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You listen to Deoin, and the others on NFL, and while they don't condone it, they aren't really outraged at all. They totally seem to understand it.

They're also not all about completely blaming Odell, its very much on both himself and Norman.

That said, I do think he warrants a game suspension. It was damn embarrassing watching that last night, and I hope to never see it again.

Half a season is lol worthy, however. Just no.

Knex. wrote: »
    You listen to Deoin, and the others on NFL, and while they don't condone it, they aren't really outraged at all. They totally seem to understand it.

They're also not all about completely blaming Odell, its very much on both himself and Norman.

That said, I do think he warrants a game suspension. It was damn embarrassing watching that last night, and I hope to never see it again.

Half a season is lol worthy, however. Just no.

Thing is though had Beckham broke Norman's neck would they be saying it on both of them? What he did was a spear. Spearing is completely outlawed int he game now and dangerous at best. Yes both of them should grow up and should put whatever the petty squabble was behind them but OBJ crossed the line into pure dangerous. It hilarious to watch people defend it or say its not a big deal.

I bet you any amount of money if someone like Brandon Merriweather did it people would be calling for a season ban and very few would be defending him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think Odell Beckham should be put down. How can we let this man walk the streets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

JCTO wrote: »
    He should be done for the season. That was a clear attack with malicious intent to spear a player which is a scumbag move. Its funny how many Giants are defending him across social media saying Norman started it. Even if Norman was starting any of it or jostling with him spearing someone in the head crosses every line in any rule book. Scumbag move.

Who is defending ODB? Some of the reaction here is OTT. It was a scumbag move and he deserves a suspension but not half a season.

Don't sit there and call out Giants fans either for defending their team and players. Your own fanbase has a long history of defending the indefensible.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Who is defending ODB? Some of the reaction here is OTT. It was a scumbag move and he deserves a suspension but not half a season.

Plenty of people in the world of the NFL defending him. My point stands about Merriweather and guys like him. Had it been him he would be done for a long time.
    Don't sit there and call out Giants fans either for defending their team and players. Your own fanbase has a long history of defending the indefensible.

Are you kidding me? I am not allowed to point out that there has been a lot of Giants fans come to his defense on social media. Facts are facts. and I wont deny there would be a lot of Pats defending him if he were a Pats player. See how that works? Looking for a rise and you wont get one.

And for what it is worth if that was a Pats player I would want him suspended long term or kicked off the team. Spearing is nothing short of a scumbag move and could kill someone or the player actually doing it. these are professional players and should know better.

glued wrote: »

My last point. If a neck was broken do you think the reactions would be OTT?

My personal view. Merriweather got done for 2 games and I felt that wasn't enough. If you are going to do someone for 4 games for deflated footballs then risking someones life should be minimum 4 games and then reviewed to see if the intent was warranted and possibly add games on top of the 4 games. Half i.e 8 games may be a bit much though. But the only way the NFL stamps crap like this out is hit someone hard with he ban hammer.

You can't compare deflate gate to this, ffs.

At least look at something like Talib's eye poke, or Suh's stamp. He deserves probably two games. Norman probably deserves one.

Norman is unlikely to get one, and that's fine with me, so then I'd say Beckham getting one is probably par for the course. If he gets more, he only has himself to blame. But looking for anything more than 2 seems a little crazy to me.

You can't compare deflate gate to this, ffs.

Why can't you? A broken rule is a broken rule and its penalty can be compared. If the NFL feel that cheating comes with heavier bans than dangerous play then they need to re-consider their fines and bans and it shows the inconsistency of how they rule the game.
    At least look at something like Talib's eye poke, or Suh's stamp. He deserves probably two games. Norman probably deserves one.

But this is the problem with these rules the NFL are not consistent enough with things like this so there is no benchmark.
    Norman is unlikely to get one, and that's fine with me, so then I'd say Beckham getting one is probably par for the course. If he gets more, he only has himself to blame. But looking for anything more than 2 seems a little crazy to me.

Again the question has to be asked and most seem to be avoiding it including the media trying to spin it. It was an intentional spear on a defenseless player. Had Norman died or broke his neck would 2 games be enough? This is problem here. It was intentional and dangerous. Lets not confuse this with accidental and a guy thinking he was doing a good tackle i.e James Harrison. OBJ knew exactly what he was doing when he left his feet and lead with the crown of his head.

It is crazy that so many are happy to accept dangerous and potential life threatening tackles as normal and happy the NFL are pathetic when it comes to stamping them out. Completely wrong message to send to kids. Don't worry kids spear someone and you will only see a 1-2 match ban.

JCTO wrote: »
    Why can't you? A broken rule is a broken rule and its penalty can be compared. If the NFL feel that cheating comes with heavier bans than dangerous play then they need to re-consider their fines and bans and it shows the inconsistency of how they rule the game.

But this is the problem with these rules the NFL are not consistent enough with things like this so there is no benchmark.

Again the question has to be asked and most seem to be avoiding it including the media trying to spin it. It was an intentional spear on a defenseless player. Had Norman died or broke his neck would 2 games be enough? This is problem here. It was intentional and dangerous. Lets not confuse this with accidental and a guy thinking he was doing a good tackle i.e James Harrison. OBJ knew exactly what he was doing when he left his feet and lead with the crown of his head.

It is crazy that so many are happy to accept dangerous and potential life threatening tackles as normal and happy the NFL are pathetic when it comes to stamping them out. Completely wrong message to send to kids. Don't worry kids spear someone and you will only see a 1-2 match ban.

Because. You're main point for this being bad, which is totally valid, is the potential harm it could have caused. Deflate gate isn't exactly in that ball park.

I'd go with 2, he should have been ejected and given a 1 game suspension, but because he wasn't ejected I'd think 2 games would be about right. So that would be him done for the year.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd go with 2, he should have been ejected and given a 1 game suspension, but because he wasn't ejected I'd think 2 games would be about right. So that would be him done for the year.

Yeah, that seems fine to me.

I would also say that Norman should have been ejected too, and I can't see them suspending him when he got speared, so that's why I think Beckham will get 1 game suspension.

Because. You're main point for this being bad, which is totally valid, is the potential harm it could have caused. Deflate gate isn't exactly in that ball park.

You missed my point on comparing rules. So I am going to leave it there with you. It is easy to compare how rules are enforced and so easy to say how is a rule on cheating carrying more of a ban than a rule that is dangerous. Teh NFL's priorities are up their asses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I wonder what the ban would be if he was some big hairy unglamorous lineman instead of one of the nfl's golden boys/cash cows?

• Advertisement

All sorts of crap about Norman waving a baseball bat at Beckham pre game, saying, "I'll end your career, you ******".

Nothing credible, aside from Deion's implications, but there are videos of Panthers' practice squad players wandering around with a baseball bat, but apparently this is something they've done for a while, as their motto is "Bring the wood".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

All sorts of crap about Norman waving a baseball bat at Beckham pre game, saying, "I'll end your career, you ******".

Nothing credible, aside from Deion's implications, but there are videos of Panthers' practice squad players wandering around with a baseball bat, but apparently this is something they've done for a while, as their motto is "Bring the wood".

:eek:

one game is a joke its a token suggestion at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Wallace of the Steelers should have been booted out of the game last night for his intentional helmet-on-helmet hit on David Bruton - and should be suspended by the NFL for his actions.

On a different topic

I must give praise to David Bruton for his commitment to the team. He fractured the fibula in his right leg in the first quarter against the Steelers and when on to play the entire game through the pain because the Broncos had so many injuries at safety. Bruton played more defensive snaps than any other player on the Broncos and also played a further 18 snaps on special teams. He had to be helped off the field at the end of the game by Danny Trevathan and one of the team trainers. Bruton is a Bronco through and through and is willing to leave it all on the field to help his team. His season is likely over with the injury but I look forward to seeing him in a Broncos uniform next season

That's insane from Bruton. Really hope he didn't do himself any long term damage that he could have avoided, although its hard to imagine how he couldn't have, if he played on with a broken leg.

Damn, these people are tough as nails. Insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I must give praise to David Bruton for his commitment to the team. He fractured the fibula in his right leg in the first quarter against the Steelers and when on to play the entire game through the pain because the Broncos had so many injuries at safety. Bruton played more defensive snaps than any other player on the Broncos and also played a further 18 snaps on special teams. He had to be helped off the field at the end of the game by Danny Trevathan and one of the team trainers. Bruton is a Bronco through and through and is willing to leave it all on the field to help his team. His season is likely over with the injury but I look forward to seeing him in a Broncos uniform next season

I personally think things like that are idiotic as opposed to praise worthy and the team (along with Bruton himself) should get pelters for allowing him to play on with a broken leg. He could have (and quite possibly has) done himself far more serious damage and hopefully the league will be having a look at this with regards to the injury protocol which covers all types of injuries and not just suspected concussions.

This "must play on no matter how hurt" culture in the NFL that appears to be championed by coaches is complete and utter bollocks and needs to be stamped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Beckham got lucky with just the one game. If he'd targeted the knee, and done 12months of damage, the media outcry and punishment would have been far more severe.

Actually, credit to the Panters players; cause that spear to the head was the type of dirty hit that would flame an all out brawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Paully D wrote: »
    I personally think things like that are idiotic as opposed to praise worthy and the team (along with Bruton himself) should get pelters for allowing him to play on with a broken leg. He could have (and quite possibly has) done himself far more serious damage and hopefully the league will be having a look at this with regards to the injury protocol which covers all types of injuries and not just suspected concussions.

This "must play on no matter how hurt" culture in the NFL that appears to be championed by coaches is complete and utter bollocks and needs to be stamped out.

Neither Bruton nor the team knew he had broken his leg until after the game - Bruton thought it was badly bruised - he was in pain but didn't believe it was anything as serious as a broken leg. I am sure that if they knew his leg was broken he wouldn't have been on the field and if the Broncos weren't already missing four Safeties he would have gone to the locker room to have it checked out when it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Disgraceful by Beckham. I just saw a full montage of his interactions with Norman. If it was just one flame-up, it might have been more understandable. But he was acting the bollocks all day.

Advertisement