Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card

Options
  • 16-12-2015 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I just bought a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop with 2.93ghz 4G DDR3 ram 160gb HDD WIN Vista business. That might mean something to somebody but all I want to know is would a GeForce Gtx 750 Ti work in it for flight simulator ?
    I appreciate the help as I am not compute smart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Cedric87 wrote: »
    I just bought a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop with 2.93ghz 4G DDR3 ram 160gb HDD WIN Vista business. That might mean something to somebody but all I want to know is would a GeForce Gtx 750 Ti work in it for flight simulator ?
    I appreciate the help as I am not compute smart.

It depends on what model precisely you have. The Core Duo E7500 (which I believe is the processor you have) would suggest a lower spec machine. Looking online it would appear you have 1 PCI-E slot which the card should fit.

However your PSU may not be up to powering the card as the specs sheet state it requires a min of 300W.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

mordeith wrote: »
    It depends on what model precisely you have. The Core Duo E7500 (which I believe is the processor you have) would suggest a lower spec machine. Looking online it would appear you have 1 PCI-E slot which the card should fit.

However your PSU may not be up to powering the card as the specs sheet state it requires a min of 300W.

Firstly thank you for the reply,
    Secondly- would it be as simple as upgrading the PSU and if so would that be easy and cheap ?

Firstly thank you for the reply,
    Secondly- would it be as simple as upgrading the PSU and if so would that be easy and cheap ?

Again it would depend on the PSU type. Those business PCs can have funny configuration sometimes. In general swapping out a PSU is very straightforward. What flight sim are you looking at exactly? That CPU isn't up to a lot either. Worse than a 2nd generation i3

Again it would depend on the PSU type. Those business PCs can have funny configuration sometimes. In general swapping out a PSU is very straightforward. What flight sim are you looking at exactly? That CPU isn't up to a lot either. Worse than a 2nd generation i3

I am willing to buy the parts, I got the computer very cheap so I don't mind buying add ons to improve it. I would like to get flight sim x or xplane if it was possible but again I am willing to buy parts for the computer as long as it will work and not just be a waste of money.

I am willing to buy the parts, I got the computer very cheap so I don't mind buying add ons to improve it. I would like to get flight sim x or xplane if it was possible but again I am willing to buy parts for the computer as long as it will work and not just be a waste of money.

Looking at Flight Sim X you might be able to play it. You can always use this site to check.
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/microsoft-flight-simulator-x/10510/?p=r

• Advertisement

Looking at Flight Sim X you might be able to play it. You can always use this site to check.
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/microsoft-flight-simulator-x/10510/?p=r

Thank you I am going to buy the graphics card and PSU and give it all ago, I have fsx already from my old laptop so trial and error until I get it working.

Thank you I am going to buy the graphics card and PSU and give it all ago, I have fsx already from my old laptop so trial and error until I get it working.

Just make sure you get the right size card. Some of those Optiplexes have small cases so you would need a lower profile card to fit.

Just make sure you get the right size card. Some of those Optiplexes have small cases so you would need a lower profile card to fit.

Measure twice buy once :) thanks you have been very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't need a new PSU for a GTX750Ti, it runs fine on a 180w+ PSU - most Optiplex machines have 250-300w. Just make sure it's low profile if it's a small form factor case. Much harder to get GTX750Ti low profile cards though, almost zero choice and they're often out of stock.

You don't need a new PSU for a GTX750Ti, it runs fine on a 180w+ PSU - most Optiplex machines have 250-300w. Just make sure it's low profile if it's a small form factor case. Much harder to get GTX750Ti low profile cards though, almost zero choice and they're often out of stock.

Can you recommend a descent graphics card that might fit into the sloth.

• Advertisement

What model 780 do you have? Which one of those?

dell_optiplex_780_usff_01.jpg

What model 780 do you have? Which one of those?

dell_optiplex_780_usff_01.jpg

This is my model.

This is my model.

That's the DT model. Here are the max dimensions for the PCIe x16 slot
    Height inches/centimetres 2.731 / 6.89
    Length inches/centimetres 6.6 / 16.764

That's the DT model. Here are the max dimensions for the PCIe x16 slot
    Height inches/centimetres 2.731 / 6.89
    Length inches/centimetres 6.6 / 16.764

I take this would not fit

I take this would not fit

Doesn't look like it no. As Terror said you would need to get a low profile card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think you would need something like this

I think it gets all its power from the PCI-e slot and doesn't need a pci-e plug

can you post your service tag so we can see the specs on it?

I have not yet received the computer it has only been shipped but I am planning on the upgrades I will need to run simulators smoothly on it.

Skerries wrote: »
    I think you would need something like this

I think it gets all its power from the PCI-e slot and doesn't need a pci-e plug

can you post your service tag so we can see the specs on it?

I'm sure Skerries is correct regarding the power requirements there. You would also need to open the case to make sure there is enough space on either side of the slot as the card is pretty wide (10.6cm according to the Gigabyte website)

EDIT: That seems crazy wide no?

I have a lot to learn would it be easier to bring it to a tech guy and pay him to upgrade it with a good graphics card.

• Advertisement

I have a lot to learn would it be easier to bring it to a tech guy and pay him to upgrade it with a good graphics card.

In a word no. It's very simple to install a graphics card. You'll feel better about doing it yourself as well.

I think I will buy that graphics card, I just want a good graphics card that I can run games smoothly on my computer.

I think I will buy that graphics card, I just want a good graphics card that I can run games smoothly on my computer.

As long as you are not looking to run newer games at high settings

As long as you are not looking to run newer games at high settings

If I went to run a new game would I have any other option of graphics card or is the compute too old for a good card

If I went to run a new game would I have any other option of graphics card or is the compute too old for a good card

Computer is way too old. As it is, in most new games the graphics card would be only able to use about 20-30% of its power at best.

If it's just Flight Sim X then maybe you're better off getting a second hand card like a low profile 8400GS for €10. It's not a very demanding game and a GTX750Ti is more or less a waste in this PC you have bought.

I am considering this card my problem is the minimum power appears to be 400w so would I need to upgrade my PSU ?

I am considering this card my problem is the minimum power appears to be 400w so would I need to upgrade my PSU ?

It specifies a minimum of 400w here

It specifies a minimum of 400w here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

400w is more than enough for a 750Ti

Advertisement