Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ConnectIQ - Recommended Apps/Widgets/Faces

Options
  • 16-12-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭

So, there's a growing number of Garmin models that support adding commercial or home-developed third-party apps. Just wondering if anyone has found any that are actually useful? So far, I have to admit, I have found few that are of any interest or use, but thought it might be an idea to have a thread to highlight any specific apps that anyone has come across that are worth a look.

Watch faces:
    ActiFace - Interesting novelty, with a lot of information represented - probably too much information to be really useful, but at least it provides a battery remaining indicator
    Steam Guage - Promising, but looks a little low-res (not sharp), plus no second hand

Apps: None really

Widgets: None really

Data Fields: None really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

I find the Gymtimer app useful for stretching, you can set it to vibrate after a 30 second countdown, then a 10 second break before starting the countdown again. HR Chart is useful for resting heart rate if you just want to take a nap with your hr strap on an see what the lowest it hits is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

On Fenix 3:

Watch faces:
    I like the simplicity of the clean analog face.

Apps:
    Tactical - just like the sound of it ;)
    Stress Score - beta on the Fenix3 yet to try properly
    Find phone - considering I lost my phone on a hike in the summer it would be handy for me.
    Lactate Threshold - again yet to test.

Widgets:
    ABC - which shows all three on the one face which you can diall into the individual widgets by the start menu
    My Day - summarise of steps and cals

Data Fields:
    None really.
    MTB - usually show gain and compass heading.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I like the Actiface watch face which I've been using for a while.

Also now trying out a rain prediction widget and weather one. The weather one doesn't seem to allow for people working in odd combinations of units though and if you have miles set for distance it won't show you temperature in Celsius.

Big Weather:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/208b9060-f51a-4eb2-91c7-07bd92a6cd04

MinuteCast:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/c1facb1f-db5a-4352-adf3-9dd09e6fc668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

robinph wrote: »
    Also now trying out a rain prediction widget and weather one. The weather one doesn't seem to allow for people working in odd combinations of units though and if you have miles set for distance it won't show you temperature in Celsius.

How are you getting on with that? I've found the stock weather widget reliable enough, although with the weather we've been having the widget could be frozen for weeks now and still be correct.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How are you getting on with that? I've found the stock weather widget reliable enough, although with the weather we've been having the widget could be frozen for weeks now and still be correct.

What app are you calling the stock weather one? Don't think there was one by default on my 920xt.

The weather app itself seems reliable enough in terms of the data it gets, just Fahrenheit is annoying. It is also a bit annoying that it gets the data based on the location you last had the GPS turned on at, so if you've travelled a way since the last run it will be out of date location wise. That is just a limit to all location requiring apps though.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I was talking about the one on the Fenix 3, didn't realise it didn't come on other devices. I'm not sure where it gets the data from but it seems to be accurate enough, although it does occasionally show lightning but I think that may be just the icon used for a storm. Doesn't seem to be available from the ConnectIQ site separately.

robinph wrote: »
    I like the Actiface watch face which I've been using for a while.

Big Weather:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/208b9060-f51a-4eb2-91c7-07bd92a6cd04

MinuteCast:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/c1facb1f-db5a-4352-adf3-9dd09e6fc668

I added the MinuteCast app yesterday. It's being predicting no rain for the next 2 hours all day, which has been correct. It's now telling it will rain locally in 79 minutes so it'll be interesting to see how accurate it is, or how quickly it updates to reflect when it will actually rain.

Advertisement