Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mexican burrito bar, Topaz Newcastle

Options
  • 16-12-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭

Yet another burretto bar, Cantina, has opened up in the forecourt of Topaz on the Newcastle road. I just had one there and they're surprisingly good. Similar type thing to Boojum but handy parking. Price goes from €5 for a veg too €6.5 for pulled steak.

Only thing it lacks is the variety of sauces but the hot sauce they use is pretty spicy anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That makes place number 5 or 6 now in the city but Boojum is first and best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It's a pop-up thingy based out of a truck. Was on their twitter page yesterday looking for them, before I wandered down for burrito, and it looks like they're moving around the city. Wonder how long they're sticking around for?

I didn't find the food to be great to be honest. Maybe it's because I went down close to 8pm, so stuff was probably sitting out all day. I'm guessing everything is cooked off site and heated there or something, but the rice was clumpy, the chicken was dry, and the portion was really unimpressive. Same price as Boojum, which in my opinion still can't be topped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't eat there so can't comment on the taste but I was quite taken back by how miserly the portions were as they were preparing the burritos, it was like what you would expect if Boojum had a kids menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭Guffy

It's a pop-up thingy based out of a truck. Was on their twitter page yesterday looking for them, before I wandered down for burrito, and it looks like they're moving around the city. Wonder how long they're sticking around for?

I didn't find the food to be great to be honest. Maybe it's because I went down close to 8pm, so stuff was probably sitting out all day. I'm guessing everything is cooked off site and heated there or something, but the rice was clumpy, the chicken was dry, and the portion was really unimpressive. Same price as Boojum, which in my opinion still can't be topped.

Yesterday was the open day, they were giving out free burrettos and beers from 6-8 so I'd imagine a lot of it was made early in the day.

They are there for a 6 week trial period i believe and the food is prepared on site but don't know how many ovens there are. Was chatting to the chef and he is waiting on ghost chillies and scorpion chillies to make a hot, hot sauce.

Just a pity they don't have nachos but sure I'm never in town so its a fair trade off for the free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

biko wrote: »
    Boojum is first and best.

I was always of the opinion Boojum was best, but recently I have been really impressed by Tuco's.

When Tuco's first opened the food wasn't great, but it has improved significantly. This coupled with a cool atmosphere in the restaurant I think they are my number one. My only worry is that they are never very busy so I can totally see Tuco's closing down. Also, I overheard the owner saying to a customer (who seemed to be a friend) that business was "only going OK".

Boojum it seems have rested on their laurels a bit, and the food has gone downhill. Also, the place is always so jammed it can be hard getting a seat, which is of course a by-product of success but it can be slightly annoying.

• Advertisement

I was always of the opinion Boojum was best, but recently I have been really impressed by Tuco's.

Ate there for the second time on Sunday. Was really unimpressed the first time, both with the portion and the taste. Portion was solid this time around, and they haped in a load of veg and stuff; unfortunately, it was still quite bland. I don't know if it's the rice or what, but it just didn't have that oomph that Boojum has when you start digging into your burrito. I wish Tuco's and this new Cantina place all the best, but it's hard to justify eating there, when Boojum is a 5 - 10 minute walk away, and in my opinion, always a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I keep hearing about Boojum's ups and downs here but I guess I'm not regular enough to notice. They always seem solid and, more importantly, authentic. My only problem was when they were out of many hot sauces and getting a seat can be a problem. Interestingly, while Boojum were initially adamant about not delivering to ensure freshness, Tolteca have popped up on JustEat already. That makes them immediately more accessible and tempting for a lazy Friday night meal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I saw the queue at the Topaz when I was coming past the last day in the dark. I thought it was a queue to see santy as all I could read of the sign on top as I was driving was ANT ... It made a lot more sense when I went past yesterday in daylight. Pity I missed the free food though. grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

How many feckin' burrito places are needed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Looks as if Tolteca are opening a second branch beside Kellys/Seven Bar

• Advertisement

Crumpets wrote: »
    How many feckin' burrito places are needed?!

As many as the masses demand....

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I keep hearing about Boojum's ups and downs here but I guess I'm not regular enough to notice. They always seem solid and, more importantly, authentic. My only problem was when they were out of many hot sauces and getting a seat can be a problem. Interestingly, while Boojum were initially adamant about not delivering to ensure freshness, Tolteca have popped up on JustEat already. That makes them immediately more accessible and tempting for a lazy Friday night meal.

Boojum are delivering through what's for dinner.
    They have been for a good while now

Advertisement