Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing from Ireland to UK

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DL to holyhead is about 12 hours, probably more in a small boat like that. There's not much craic in it, I'd stick to going up and down the coast, if you want to go 'foreign' have a look at Strangford Lough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

Tabnabs wrote: »
    DL to holyhead is about 12 hours, probably more in a small boat like that. There's not much craic in it, I'd stick to going up and down the coast, if you want to go 'foreign' have a look at Strangford Lough ;)

Nice one , that strangford lough looks really nice. Few good pubs around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I did it a few years ago, Wicklow to Wales. Took us about 12 hours, but that was on a 35ft boat.
    Sea was like glass on the way over (had to motor a bit), but a lot more lively on the return leg.

Tabnabs is right, there's a lot more craic in hopping up and down the coast, but there's a great sense of achievement in arriving in Wales. We pottered around Menai strait/Porthmadoc area for a few nights. Lovely spots.
    Wicklow SC are twinned with, I think, Porthmadoc and organise trips over and back every year. I'm sure other clubs do too, so it might be an idea to try and tie in with one of these. Going as part of a small flotilla might be less daunting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As you are new to sailing it would be worth your while doing a few navigation and VHF courses https://www.sailing.ie/Training/ShorebasedTrainingCourses/ShorebasedNavigation.aspx also join a local sailing club I know Skerries do some cruise in company trips along the coast as well as the UK & the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's regular racing over and back across the Irish Sea during the season, if that's your bag. www.isora.org.

Both Strangford and the Welsh coast have big and strong tides - you'd need to know your stuff around tides if you don't want to be stuck going backwards for up to 8 hours if you hit a certain place at the wrong time :eek:

I'd agree that it's much more interesting hopping up and down the coast - Carlingford (also wickedly tidal) is absolutely gorgeous as well.

I've done a delivery (for a race back) across the Irish Sea where we literally didn't see a boat, a ship, a plane, wildlife, fish for the whole 12-hour trip - nothing. Nada. I really thought the world might have ended and they forgot to tell us! I've also done trips (races and deliveries) across where the weather turned on us, and it was absolute MISERY.

If you're in it for pleasure (as opposed to racing points) I'd stick with coastal hopping :)

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    I did it a few years ago, Wicklow to Wales. Took us about 12 hours, but that was on a 35ft boat.
    Sea was like glass on the way over (had to motor a bit), but a lot more lively on the return leg.

Tabnabs is right, there's a lot more craic in hopping up and down the coast, but there's a great sense of achievement in arriving in Wales. We pottered around Menai strait/Porthmadoc area for a few nights. Lovely spots.
    Wicklow SC are twinned with, I think, Porthmadoc and organise trips over and back every year. I'm sure other clubs do too, so it might be an idea to try and tie in with one of these. Going as part of a small flotilla might be less daunting.
    Sounds cool man ,im sure it aint that exciting , but would feel like an achievment! would be nice to go to wales or something and then go up along the coast to scotland

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There's regular racing over and back across the Irish Sea during the season, if that's your bag. www.isora.org.

Both Strangford and the Welsh coast have big and strong tides - you'd need to know your stuff around tides if you don't want to be stuck going backwards for up to 8 hours if you hit a certain place at the wrong time :eek:

I'd agree that it's much more interesting hopping up and down the coast - Carlingford (also wickedly tidal) is absolutely gorgeous as well.

I've done a delivery (for a race back) across the Irish Sea where we literally didn't see a boat, a ship, a plane, wildlife, fish for the whole 12-hour trip - nothing. Nada. I really thought the world might have ended and they forgot to tell us! I've also done trips (races and deliveries) across where the weather turned on us, and it was absolute MISERY.

If you're in it for pleasure (as opposed to racing points) I'd stick with coastal hopping :)
    HAHAH jaaaysus. Everyones making it sound very boring , i can see why..I just like the idea of knowing i sailed across the pond to foreign land :D I will have to give it a go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Last summer I helped deliver a jeaneau 40 back to Portsmouth from Cork after Cork week. Beautiful 1988 with a classic wood interior finish.
    We timed our weather window perfectly, only the first night to the Scillys was a bit rough ( 3 - 4 m following swells in a force 3 - 4). We overnighted in Hugh town in the Scillys, Falmouth just at the end of the Sailing regatta week, Dartmouth which was the most expensive mooring facility, anchored off Durlston Bay and finally into Portsmouth.
    It was an excellent trip and we couldn't have asked for better sailing weather, I tipped the highest boat speed on the down wind leg off Portland, spinnaker surfing at 14.5kts! I don't think I'd attempt it again on anything less than a 30ft though as the Celtic sea can easily catch out a smaller boat, even outside of Cork harbour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ahclassbai wrote: »
    HAHAH jaaaysus. Everyones making it sound very boring , i can see why..I just like the idea of knowing i sailed across the pond to foreign land :D I will have to give it a go anyway
    That is a non-trip. Seriously, I do not want to sound heavy, but from what you have written so far on several posts in different threads you have a lot to learn before you go anywhere. Buying the boat is the easy bit.

That is a non-trip. Seriously, I do not want to sound heavy, but from what you have written so far on several posts in different threads you have a lot to learn before you go anywhere. Buying the boat is the easy bit.

Im only interested man , hardly going to sail across to the uk without knowing how to sail :P I said in a couple years , just learning . :cool:

• Advertisement

That is a non-trip. Seriously, I do not want to sound heavy, but from what you have written so far on several posts in different threads you have a lot to learn before you go anywhere. Buying the boat is the easy bit.[/QU
    are you talking about threads I have written which are not relating to boating? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Ahclassbai
    You are in a similar situation to myself.
    The advice given in this forum, is given freely’ by some very experienced sailors, and boatmen.
    Like you I intend to sail to England one day.
    However I need to learn to walk’ before I can run.:rolleyes:
    A Navigation coerce is a must.
    What I have learnt to date; far exceeds anything I learnt from books’ magazines’ and the internet.
    I thought I had a good grasp of what I needed to know.
    How wrong I was; as they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    I have found it invaluable to date; and I intend to do a VHF radio coerce’ as soon as possible.
    The knowledge, gained from these coerces; will be with you for ever’ and will not be wasted.
    While the are’ expensive, they are worth it
    Good luck on your journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,134 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ahclassbai wrote: »
    Oh the thrill of having sailed to a different country is a big one, no doubt about that!

But please do heed the advice being given - as Copper12 said, all in the best possible spirit - and equip yourself properly (both physically and knowledge-wise) before taking on something like the Irish Sea.

Please respect the sea. It can be formidable.

You have years of adventure ahead of you with your new boat, I hope you enjoy every minute of it! Just don't rush into anything.

(I'm aware that I probably sound like your mother here :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I hugely admire the work Copper12 has done and it's great that you are doing the winter courses, but I really think that both yourself and AH should get on the water. Get down to the INSC and get time on the water - you really can't beat that.
    Jim.
    PS I have sailed from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead 3 times the slowest was 8 hours and the fastest 7h 14m - pier-head to pier-head. and we were completely becalmed for over 2 hours :)

JamesM wrote: »
    I
    PS I have sailed from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead 3 times the slowest was 8 hours and the fastest 7h 14m - pier-head to pier-head. and we were completely becalmed for over 2 hours :)

An average speed of 12 knots? What were you sailing?

An average speed of 12 knots? What were you sailing?

I get the feeling that you don't believe me :(

Edit: I'd better put in a few smilies :):):)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I believe you, had she more than one hull :)

Yes Fergal, I think that I told you before that I'm not really me - I started using James M on the heating forum about 10 years ago. Where you know me on facebook, I usually have 2 hulls. From 1991 to 1995 I tried to set an Irish Sea speed sailing record 3 times, but the weather let me down each time - stronger or lighter than forecast each time. The fastest time was 7hr 14min on a Dart 18 catamaran in 1995. I was also on the crew of the British Airways catamaran with Robin Knox Johnston when we set the Round Ireland record in 1985. Enda O'Coineen, mentioned in another thread here was also in that crew.
    Jim (or not)

I get the feeling that you don't believe me :(

Edit: I'd better put in a few smilies :):):)

Dart 18s? Reservoir boats! :P (but a good speed, pity you did not give more info when you claimed bragging rights!) :):):):)

I’m much happier/more pleased for Enda, who always was bitterly disappointed at falling at the final fence on his “rubber duck” TransAt voyage all those years ago. Finally a great achievement.:cool:

Edit: note the smilies smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I did it four times a day for a few years, albeit on something significantly bigger. My advice to you would be to ensure you have a decent radar reflector and have AIS

• Advertisement

Agreed. AIS would be no good, instead he should have a brown wetsuit for when he sees you bearing down on him at a multiple of his speed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Agreed. AIS would be no good, instead he should have a brown wetsuit for when he sees you bearing down on him at a multiple of his speed!

The feeling is often mutual :pac:

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I did it four times a day for a few years, albeit on something significantly bigger. My advice to you would be to ensure you have a decent radar reflector and have AIS

Sealink (as they were then) sponsored me the first 2 times on a 20ft cat, so they were always looking out for me :)

Dart 18s? Reservoir boats! :P (but a good speed, pity you did not give more info when you claimed bragging rights!) :):):):)

It was 1.00am after the Leinster match and "town". I was just looking for reaction when others had said 12hrs - at least I think that was what I was doing :confused:

Sealink (as they were then) sponsored me the first 2 times on a 20ft cat, so they were always looking out for me :)

Any chance of going for it again :) if you need some backing I could try and get some.

The Ferries weren't that much faster in those days. Now we have faster cats anyway :)

fergal.b wrote: »
    Any chance of going for it again :) if you need some backing I could try and get some.

I'm not sure if I'm fit enough any more :) Although we have faster Formula 18s now - should get it under 4 hours. We always intended in making it a 2 way trip, but the weather let us down. Had to get the cats back on the ferry.

It was 1.00am after the Leinster match and "town". I was just looking for reaction when others had said 12hrs - at least I think that was what I was doing :confused:

Aaah, one of those moments!:):D
    I guessed it had to be a cat or a trimaran; a displacement yacht would have to be 100 feet or so LWL to cross in 5 hours..
    I’ve done it dozens of times in half tonners, three quarter tonners and a few bigger boats, including a big ketch and my best is ten hours. That was in a half-tonner, an ISORA race Howth – Holyhead leaving Lambay to the south. SW wind and a bad forecast so we set a storm spinnaker. It soon blew stink and we made a decision to leave the spinny up until we got to shelter behind the harbour wall. We surfed most of the way, the log off the clock (analogue, read to 12 knots) regularly. We took the gun, having sailed through almost all of the class above, assuring our win by a large margin. Never again managed it in less than 10 hours.

Advertisement